Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bjørn's Tesla Model S videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nice test Bjørn!

In fact, I think the real-world experience as well as theory tells us that as long as you can reach the next supercharger you will always, more or less, use less time if you drive as quickly as possible. The possible exeption is if the spacing between the chargers is such that you would need to charge over 90% SOC to be able to reach the next one at a certain speed, in that case it might be better to charge to only 85-90% and drive a bit slower. This of course is due to the taper. But with the typical spacing between SC I think you should basically go as fast as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice test Bjørn!

In fact, I think the real-world experience as well as theory tells us that as long as you can reach the next supercharger you will always, more or less, use less time if you drive as quickly as possible. The possible exeption is if the spacing between the chargers is such that you would need to charge over 90% SOC to be able to reach the next one at a certain speed, in that case it might be better to charge to only 85-90% and drive a bit slower. This of course is due to the taper. But with the typical spacing between SC I think you should basically go as fast as possible.
It depends on many factors. Ideal length should be about 100-150 km between SCs. If you have to stretch to 200-250 km, as you have seen in my videos, you have to do a 90-95 % charge which takes awfully lot of time. But wind and road surface also plays a big factor. With head wind and wet roads, I bet the consumption at 160 km/h would skyrocket up to 450 Wh/km. In that case, reducing to about 140 km/h would probably be the best.

G'Day from Australia Bjorn. Seeing the map image above reminded me of a question I had for you...
In your videos, you show the google map, and the blue line being drawn.
Can you tell me how you draw the line please ?

Thanks, Greg.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to see the "overnight" heater trick worked. Such a pain to wake up every hour to have to turn on the phone app to heat. Plus it gets too hot and then too cold. Leaving it at one temperature is much more comfortable. I liked your point about no poisonous gases when the car is on all night. Model S might be one ultimate "camping" sedan.

Now you're going to have to do one in the summer when it's hot outside and you sleep with the air conditioning on all night.

I too am curious about power use with the A/C running all night... Also during the day too. We have temperatures of UP TO 48 degrees Celcius sometimes (rarely) but 40 degrees is common in summer.
Cheers, Greg.

- - - Updated - - -

Bjorn, I am incredibly sorry some TMC members have no class. It is unbelievable that any TMC member who watches your videos (and who has a brain) could ever make disparaging remarks about you, your wife, or the hundreds of hours you have spent making videos that many of us enjoy. On behalf of those of us who are grateful fans of yours, I apologize for the few TMC members who are rude and ungrateful. And by the way, you have a place to stay if you ever come to the U.S. near Washington DC-my wife and I would be honored to host you both.

Same goes from me here in Australia. You are welcome here any time, we always have a spare room for guests.
Cheers, Greg.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for replying, Yggdrasil.

Finally, the video is ready: Tesla Model S videos: #8 North Cape part 1 - YouTube
After finishing it, I realized I have used too many shaky shots. Already after 20 minutes, I was dizzy. Sorry for that, guys. From now on, I will reduce the amount of shake in my videos by cutting out flips and avoid flipping/shaking the camera too much.

G'Day Bjorn. There is a cheap (free) image stabilizer I use called Mercalli Easy Video Stabilizer - I think I found it on SourceForge.net (I don't remember to tell you the truth)
Cheers, Greg.

Thanks Bjorn! There is something hypnotic about watching that video. It seems silly to just watch someone driving without nothing especially interesting happening, but then you suddenly realize you have already been watching it for 15 or 30 minutes... :)

Here's some useless information for you... Norway has a TV station called SlowTV. They specialize in videos that some people might think are boring - like front views from the cabin of a train (many hours long) or fireplace logs burning, or cruising fijords on a cruise ship - there are many and varied. I found myself watching several hours of the train video (off youtube) without realizing how much time had passed. If you like Bjorns videos, you should also check out SlowTV. And Bjorn, you could try selling your videos to SlowTV, and mute out all the sheeeeits ;-)
Cheers, Greg.

Bjorn, some other quick comments.

And I can imagine many German hi-perf car owners who are routinely fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn must just chuckle at the idea of using an electric vehicle whose battery can't last very long while traveling at 130+ mph.

You might be surprised at how fast petrol/gas disappears at Autobahn / Australian outback (unrestricted) speeds. I tried it once, and at 180Kph, I would not have made it to the next fuel stop over 400Km away. I had to slow to 120Kph to make it from Three Ways roadhouse (Northern Territory) to Cammoweal QLD (446Km). True, the Tesla would not make it either, but that's not the point.

GH

Thank you so much for your great and very informative videos.

You know, I have thought about something. What if I quit my job and made youtube videos full time? Then I would be able to release one video every other day. And there would be crazy trips, Top Gear style races, more tech/info videos, etc. It's a big risk to take though. It could be a big hit or the interest for Tesla could suddenly disappear.
Would be awesome, but I fear that people are not ready to pay for that, so it would be very difficult to do it for a living.
Perhaps you should get a job at Tesla Motors?

GregHudson said:
G'Day from Australia Bjorn. Seeing the map image above reminded me of a question I had for you...
In your videos, you show the google map, and the blue line being drawn.
Can you tell me how you draw the line please ?
I use a method called rotorscoping.

GregHudson said:
I too am curious about power use with the A/C running all night... Also during the day too. We have temperatures of UP TO 48 degrees Celcius sometimes (rarely) but 40 degrees is common in summer.
I haven't tried hot weather, but I expect it to be like cold weather, which is 5-7 km/h.

GregHudson said:
Same goes from me here in Australia. You are welcome here any time, we always have a spare room for guests.
Cheers, Greg.
Thank you for the invitation :)

GregHudson said:
G'Day Bjorn. There is a cheap (free) image stabilizer I use called Mercalli Easy Video Stabilizer - I think I found it on SourceForge.net (I don't remember to tell you the truth)
Cheers, Greg.
Software image stabilizers will crop the image, which I don't like. The only way to do it to use my Merlin Steadicam. But I'm too lazy to bring it and use it.

Here's some useless information for you... Norway has a TV station called SlowTV. They specialize in videos that some people might think are boring - like front views from the cabin of a train (many hours long) or fireplace logs burning, or cruising fijords on a cruise ship - there are many and varied. I found myself watching several hours of the train video (off youtube) without realizing how much time had passed. If you like Bjorns videos, you should also check out SlowTV. And Bjorn, you could try selling your videos to SlowTV, and mute out all the sheeeeits ;-)
Cheers, Greg.
I have in my plans to make slow TV where I drive some 6-7 hours and film everything, including driving, eating and charging.

G'Day Bjorn. Looking at the above picture, I see your car is covered in 'Schmultz?'... Except I have no idea what that is...
Can you explain please ? (Google gives me some very weird answers!) ;-)
Thanks, Greg.
Schmutz = dirt

Thank you so much for your great and very informative videos.
Would be awesome, but I fear that people are not ready to pay for that, so it would be very difficult to do it for a living.
Perhaps you should get a job at Tesla Motors?
If I started working for Tesla, my credibility would disappear.

Bjorn, your video was picked up by Yahoo news (Tesla Model S Lasts For 12 Minutes Going 125MPH - Yahoo Finance) and the story says " a driver in Germany demonstrated what happens when you take a Tesla Motors Inc Model S to 125 miles per hour on the Autobahn: it lasts for 12 minutes before the battery gets hot enough that the car reduces power to protect it. "

Watching the video, it looked like you slowed down because you hit a speed limited part of the road, not because the battery's temperature caused a reduction in power. Can you clarify?

Thanks.

Bjorn, your video was picked up by Yahoo news (Tesla Model S Lasts For 12 Minutes Going 125MPH - Yahoo Finance) and the story says " a driver in Germany demonstrated what happens when you take a Tesla Motors Inc Model S to 125 miles per hour on the Autobahn: it lasts for 12 minutes before the battery gets hot enough that the car reduces power to protect it. "

Watching the video, it looked like you slowed down because you hit a speed limited part of the road, not because the battery's temperature caused a reduction in power. Can you clarify?

Thanks.

These guys obviously scour the net to find substance for writing hit pieces. It's almost as if they had an agenda. Like someone with a lot of money were paying them to try and influence public perception. But wait, now I'm just being paranoid and silly…

Thanks.
Just watch the last few minutes of the end. I pretty much say what's going on and why I slowed down.

Just watch the last few minutes of the end. I pretty much say what's going on and why I slowed down.

Yeah it's unbelievable that they would call themselves reporters and, having watched your video, report that you had to slow down due to some technical aspect of the car.

And yet, others picked up on it too. Sad state of the internet news reporting landscape.

- - - Updated - - -

This is awesome. At one point the Wh/mile shows 692... highest number I have ever seen on a P85. (I suppose you could have been running the heater too)

This number is up as high as some ICE cars get on a regular basis, when being driven normally. In fact it is 49MPG US!!! (or 40MPG UK)

In other words the Tesla Model S can't get any lower than 49MPG even when you are holding your foot to the floor accelerating to the car's top speed.

My lifetime average is 102MPG and I often get 125MPG when I drive conservatively - or, if there is a traffic jam!