Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Door Trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody experience this? The passenger side trim piece above the window appears to have a coating or something missing. There is a bluish orange hue that looks like a flame has been taken to it. Have only had the car a week and noticed it the other day. Washed it to see if anything changed or I noticed anything else coming off, but didn't see a difference. Driver side looks perfectly normal.

Attachments

• PXL_20220708_003510497.jpg
    PXL_20220708_003510497.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 526
  • PXL_20220708_003520418.jpg
    PXL_20220708_003520418.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 117
All,

The black window and door trim on my two-year old Model Y started doing that all over a few months ago.

It looks to me like the oily, iridescent film that one sees on substandard or recycled rubber or plastic products from China as they decompose our outgas.

I've never washed it with anything harsh or abrasive at all. The vehicle isn't garaged, so there has been almost two years of sun exposure.

I think this is from the trim and/or whatever paint they use on it (if any?) decomposing. If one wipes one's finger on it, it comes off, only to be replaced with a fresh layer of film hours or a day later. Same thing if one wipes it off with alcohol and a soft cloth....just comes back hours later or the next day.

Photos attached.

Does anyone know if the trim is metal or plastic? Painted or unpainted?

R,
BP

Attachments

• PXL_20220710_232550954.jpg
    PXL_20220710_232550954.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 84
  • PXL_20220710_232603642.jpg
    PXL_20220710_232603642.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 90
Have you tried stainless steel wipes? Seen a lot of threads on FB about it turning oily / purple. Mostly happens after car wash where they use cheap soap that’s heated dry afterwards. Seems stainless steel wipes seem to clean it back to stock with ease.

Have you tried stainless steel wipes? Seen a lot of threads on FB about it turning oily / purple. Mostly happens after car wash where they use cheap soap that’s heated dry afterwards. Seems stainless steel wipes seem to clean it back to stock with ease.
Nope, but per one response on one of these trim threads, none of the fixes folks are talking about are likely to last every long. It's starting to sound like there's a coating over the trim (which some think is anodized aluminum) that just degrades at some point.

I'm not sure about that, but it does look to me as if the trim is just degrading/decomposing a lot like cheap chinese plastic does over time, with the same oily, iridescent residue.

I got it all off with alcohol and gentle wipes and it came back within hours or days on every piece.