Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black pin from charging port broken inside mobile connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

As the euphoria of picking up the car dies down, the realities of actually owning it kicks in! When I went to disconnect my mobile charger from my Model 3 today, I noticed that one of the black pins from the port has broken off and is lodged inside the mobile connector (see photos)
20220222_222412.jpg
20220222_222403.jpg

The car still charges fine with the mobile connector (haven't tried any other charger). Has anyone else experienced this? And is it an urgent fix? I've only had the car for three days so obviously would rather not bring the car in for service so quickly! Thanks for any help

I've a question re. charge port: are the PP and CP (top two) pins supposed to be the same size?

My car is complaining that the charge cable isn't put in properly (and hence it won't charge). I noticed that the PP and CP pins are different: the CP pin is considerably shorter than the PP in my car. If that's supposed to be the case I'll investigate elsewhere. If not, then is it possible that it thinks the cable isn't in because there's no (good?) electrical contact on that pin anymore?

EDIT: I see from other threads that the shorter pin is normal. Never mind. Eeek!

Oh, and is there supposed to be a manual charge port release cable hanging through that little hole (near the interior light) in the fabric-y material in the boot? I'm sure there used to be one... No longer.

The HPWC handle (?) is going in all the way, such that the broader ring on it is meeting the charge port's plastic surround area. And I don't have the mobile connector with me.

EDIT2: power cycled the HPWC: now it's charging. Perhaps car also went to sleep in the meantime. Should have known. I'm extremely disturbed that the Windows fix-all offnonagain appears to have worked.

Thanks!

(bit worried about not being able to charge!)

Last edited:
To add a little to this discussion it seems if I plug in my charger without pushing the plug at an angle to the front of the car the control pin is not engaging and have the car trying to lock the charge port and failing with the same message and know I have the knack with the angle can make the port lock every time. Tried with another charger and it's the car not the plug as no debris in plug and worked perfectly with another EV. Will now report a mobile service call. In the US they have a similar issue and supplied a technical fix for the engineers to do.

Last edited: