Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black screen on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a July 2018 LR RWD Model 3. My screen went black for the first time a few months ago. Didn't have a problem for a while, it may have happened once or twice from February and March. It's not the end of April and my screen is black every time I get in my car after it has sat overnight. I've tried to reboot using steering wheel controls and it won't come back. Anybody know what I can do about this? I don't want to take it to Tesla unless I absolutely have to but I've been curious about if a factory rest would take care of the bug. Please give me your thoughts/advice/experiences.

This is what Tesla told me through app. Gonna try that!

I have seen multiple posts here by people who have an issue similar to what you are reporting, and it turns out to be the sentry mode thumb drive being full. If you take the thumb drive out and the problem goes away, reformat your sentry mode thumbdrive.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
This may help, but it sounds like something more serious:

Reboot and reset instructions for your Tesla - Tesla Info
We do not have "power off" on our 2021 M3...maybe that is for another model.

ption 4: Full power down and restart​

Sit in the car with the door closed and don't touch anything or open the door other than to follow the instructions. This is also best done where its quiet as being able to listen to the car can help, otherwise pay attention to the time.

• It's recommended that Option 3 is performed first
  • Release the brake pedal if pressed
  • Go to the main screen, bring up the service menu and select "Power Off".
  • After a while the screens will have gone out, the interior light will have gone off and the system are shutting down.
  • If you can hear the car, you may still hear some background noises from the car. If this is the case wait until the car is quiet.
  • If you can't hear the car because of background noise, wait for several minutes, we suggest a minimum of 5 - it seems a long time but it is worth doing to ensure the car is fully shut down.
  • Press the brake pedal to reawaken the car.
WE do not have a "power off" designation on that screen, we do have a " factory reset "

3 rd. day in a row where we parked, were gone for about an hour, when we returned the screen was Black.Owners manual says the same as above.
Today we had to do the only reset we could, and it took 4 tries before the screen came on.
Have had the car 40 days.................

We do not have "power off" on our 2021 M3...maybe that is for another model.

ption 4: Full power down and restart​

Sit in the car with the door closed and don't touch anything or open the door other than to follow the instructions. This is also best done where its quiet as being able to listen to the car can help, otherwise pay attention to the time.

• It's recommended that Option 3 is performed first
  • Release the brake pedal if pressed
  • Go to the main screen, bring up the service menu and select "Power Off".
  • After a while the screens will have gone out, the interior light will have gone off and the system are shutting down.
  • If you can hear the car, you may still hear some background noises from the car. If this is the case wait until the car is quiet.
  • If you can't hear the car because of background noise, wait for several minutes, we suggest a minimum of 5 - it seems a long time but it is worth doing to ensure the car is fully shut down.
  • Press the brake pedal to reawaken the car.
WE do not have a "power off" designation on that screen, we do have a " factory reset "

3 rd. day in a row where we parked, were gone for about an hour, when we returned the screen was Black.Owners manual says the same as above.
Today we had to do the only reset we could, and it took 4 tries before the screen came on.
Have had the car 40 days.................

Im virtually certain you do actually have the power off command, unless you have a different interface than other model 3s. The post you are linking to is from a previous firmware version so the option moved from there, but its the same command.

1. Touch Car icon in bottom left of screen, touch SAFETY & SECURITY menu choice, then select "POWER OFF" button:

IMG_0951.JPG

Last edited:

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums I hate being an idiot...You sir are correct...Thank You!!​

Lol, No problem. One of the "downsides" of "My car updates all the time!" is the fact that its entirely likely to find some instruction or other that used to be relevant, but isnt any longer for some reason or other.

just read this>

How do you know if your eMMC is about to fail?​

As memory segments in the eMMC start to fail, the MCU will tend to function erratically. Some symptoms of worsening eMMC issues (and sometimes imminent eMMC failure) include:

• Failed over-the-air updates
  • Frequent, unprompted reloading of the MCU
  • Frequent MCU crashes
  • Connectivity issues (Bluetooth, Internet connection, etc)
  • Slowed map rendering and general slowed MCU functions
  • Slow reboot / wake time (increasing from a matter of seconds to over five minutes, in some cases)
  • Music and radio streaming interruptions
  • Not responsive to voice commands
  • Mileage not adding to trip counters
I am getting the above except the last 2. Just wonder why this is happening with the MCU2 version?

just read this>

How do you know if your eMMC is about to fail?​

As memory segments in the eMMC start to fail, the MCU will tend to function erratically. Some symptoms of worsening eMMC issues (and sometimes imminent eMMC failure) include:

• Failed over-the-air updates
  • Frequent, unprompted reloading of the MCU
  • Frequent MCU crashes
  • Connectivity issues (Bluetooth, Internet connection, etc)
  • Slowed map rendering and general slowed MCU functions
  • Slow reboot / wake time (increasing from a matter of seconds to over five minutes, in some cases)
  • Music and radio streaming interruptions
  • Not responsive to voice commands
  • Mileage not adding to trip counters
I am getting the above except the last 2. Just wonder why this is happening with the MCU2 version?

There have been zero reports of that above in model 3s (with "that" being specific MCU failure described above). That information is specific to MCU 1. On a model 3, the MCU is on the computer board. All model 3s were delivered with, at a minimum, Hardware 2.5, and any 2020 or 2021 model 3 will definitely have HW 3.

You likely read that in conjunction with a model S or X that had problems with the way the data was written / logged to the MCU 1.

You should likely make a service appointment. Its possible you have firmware corruption, or even a bad computer, but your post says that the car is "40 days old" so you dont even have hardware 2.5, you would have the latest hardware.

Last edited: