Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackVue b-124 battery sometimes won’t charge itself from 12v cig outlet - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i installed a BlackVue DR900s-2ch in my 3, and also got the backup 6000mah b-124 battery to go with it. I have the battery plugged in to the 12v outlet, set to “cigarette” setting, but about half the time when I get in the car, I notice that the battery isn’t charging itself up. Requires me to do a power down from the screen before it starts to draw power.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Problem with my car, my battery, or both?

I’ve got a p3d, a nomad pad installed, and 3rd party abstract ocean puddle lights and trunk lights installed, fwiw.

i installed a BlackVue DR900s-2ch in my 3, and also got the backup 6000mah b-124 battery to go with it. I have the battery plugged in to the 12v outlet, set to “cigarette” setting, but about half the time when I get in the car, I notice that the battery isn’t charging itself up. Requires me to do a power down from the screen before it starts to draw power.

I’ve got a p3d, a nomad pad installed, and 3rd party abstract ocean puddle lights and trunk lights installed, fwiw.

Is your car already fixed ??

Wow that was quick fix hope you were able to find other party ...BlackVue is right choice I did some compares against the Tesla dash and still prefer BlackVue ..I did read somewhere here where someone found way to hardwire in now on 3 vs using battery pack

Wow that was quick fix hope you were able to find other party ...BlackVue is right choice I did some compares against the Tesla dash and still prefer BlackVue ..I did read somewhere here where someone found way to hardwire in now on 3 vs using battery pack

Well, of course someone would find a way to hardwire the BlackVue without issues after I bought and installed the battery. Of course that would happen.

Don't forget that the Model 3 doesn't keep the 12V plug active when it powers down. So to run something like the BlackVue, you have to be powered on long enough to charge the battery. A 30 minute commute probably won't do that.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Don't forget that the Model 3 doesn't keep the 12V plug active when it powers down. So to run something like the BlackVue, you have to be powered on long enough to charge the battery. A 30 minute commute probably won't do that.
Pretty sure he’s talking about when the car is on. I’ve had this happen once, the 12v wouldn’t charge. After leaving the car parked for an hour it was back on and charging my BlackVue battery.

Reactions: P85_DA

Yes, I am referring to when the car is powered up. Seems like the car will randomly decide not to send power to the cig outlet. Unplugging/replugging the battery doesn’t do anything, scroll wheel reset doesn’t do anything, even plugging the Blackvue directly in to the outlet confirms that the 12v isn’t powered.

The battery stays powered on when I'm charging at home. Last few days, I've just been unplugging the blackvue at home, cause I don't need parking mode active while it's parked in my garage.
Interesting, does it actually show the BlackVue battery charging while the car is plugged in? Haven't tried that and I'm out of town until Friday so can't look at it. I've been turning on climate control every so often as I have the dashcam on while I'm out of town. Figured I need to turn on climate control every so often to keep the battery charged.

Interesting, does it actually show the BlackVue battery charging while the car is plugged in? Haven't tried that and I'm out of town until Friday so can't look at it. I've been turning on climate control every so often as I have the dashcam on while I'm out of town. Figured I need to turn on climate control every so often to keep the battery charged.

To clarify, the battery stays on and powers the blackvue's parking mode when I am at home. It will slowly drain overnight until it is depleted. I do not actually know if the battery charges up while the car itself is charging and plugged in. I suspect it does not however, because I charged my car last night, and as of right now the b-124 is showing itself as completely depleted.

To clarify, the battery stays on and powers the blackvue's parking mode when I am at home. It will slowly drain overnight until it is depleted. I do not actually know if the battery charges up while the car itself is charging and plugged in. I suspect it does not however, because I charged my car last night, and as of right now the b-124 is showing itself as completely depleted.
Ah got it, thanks.

So quick update. I've been doing a lot of trial and error w/ the blackvue+battery, and for the past few days, I have simply left the blackvue+battery plugged in 24 hrs per day, and have not had any issues with the battery charging itself up when I get in the car. Previously, I would unplug my camera when I got home to prevent it from discharging and recording while it was in my garage, and I was getting more charging issues with the battery.

We'll see what happens!

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155 and MXWing
I have the same setup hardwired to the 12v outlet and since I updated to v9 the random non-charging has started to happen more and more. I have a short commute to work so I do not get a full charge on either way, so I've employed the remote climate function to top off the battery mid day. Others have mentioned this played a factor into the 12v "lockout". Are you utilizing the remote climate function all that often?

I have the same setup hardwired to the 12v outlet and since I updated to v9 the random non-charging has started to happen more and more. I have a short commute to work so I do not get a full charge on either way, so I've employed the remote climate function to top off the battery mid day. Others have mentioned this played a factor into the 12v "lockout". Are you utilizing the remote climate function all that often?

No, I am not utilizing the remote climate function.

I’ve gotten more issues with the batt not charging again, despite leaving the camera plugged in 24/7. Not sure what to do at this point. Scroll wheel reset doesn’t fix it, only thing that works is powering down from the touch screen.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
No, I am not utilizing the remote climate function.

I’ve gotten more issues with the batt not charging again, despite leaving the camera plugged in 24/7. Not sure what to do at this point. Scroll wheel reset doesn’t fix it, only thing that works is powering down from the touch screen.
Before a hard reset with the foot pedal would fix the issue. Now, only a power cycle will reset what I think to be the virtual fuses. I've tried mentally to powerdown once a week to see if that would help mitigate the problem. Only been trying for a week or so, so nothing definitive yet. Dead giveaway is when I've greeted to the turning on when I start up. =/ Waiting for that camper mode Elon...

I am running the BlackVue DR900S-2CH with the B-124 Battery on the 12V socket. For about 2 weeks, no issue until I notice the cameras cut off while driving. The battery was dead. Shouldn't the B-124 be charging while I am driving? The 12V socket doesn't seem to be supplying power to the B-124 battery. The app show me the B-124 is less than 1% charge and I got a message "not in use". I went in the house while the car is plug in and wake up the car climate. The battery app will show the battery from "discharging" to "charging". Strange. I will have to look into getting it hardwired if the 12V socket isn't reliable. o_O

I am running the BlackVue DR900S-2CH with the B-124 Battery on the 12V socket. For about 2 weeks, no issue until I notice the cameras cut off while driving. The battery was dead. Shouldn't the B-124 be charging while I am driving? The 12V socket doesn't seem to be supplying power to the B-124 battery. The app show me the B-124 is less than 1% charge and I got a message "not in use". I went in the house while the car is plug in and wake up the car climate. The battery app will show the battery from "discharging" to "charging". Strange. I will have to look into getting it hardwired if the 12V socket isn't reliable. o_O

Try a power down from the screen (under safety/security), and then power the car back up. See if that restarts the 12v socket.