Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue or Thinkware dash cam, and installer in San Diego

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for the help.

I spoke with Johnny earlier this afternoon and decided on a 4 ch install, and he is sending someone down to San Diego for the install tomorrow!!! I will let you guys know how it goes after the installation.

Here's a tip since you're new to Blackvue. Don't forget the micro disk should get monthly reformatting maintenance to keep it in the best recording condition. The camera, if memory serves me correctly, doesn't support reformatting in camera if the capacity is above 32Gb. This is discussed in the camera's manual or somewhere on the website's Q&A or support area. Take it out of the camera and do the formatting through the app on a computer. I seen some people say that they used a larger capacity card and they were filling up their card sooner than expected and when they checked the card it still had unused space. Believe that's because of how the internal camera sets the formatting, so be sure to do it on your computer through the viewer app.
Do you mind posting the source where you got that tip from? It's definitely not in the manual (at least not the current one) and I'm frequent user dashcamtalk.com and I have never seen anyone mentioned this. If the purpose for monthly formatting is to defragment the card, then that is pointless as solid state media does not suffer from fragmentation, even if data is fragmented (and it will be fragmented). Hard drives with platters needed to be defragmented to speed up data read and write, but solid media does not need to be. I think getting a quality speedy sd card is much more beneficial than monthly formatting.

Got home and was able to locate the reformatting suggestion from Blackvue easily. Here's what it says (DR650S-2ch_en_v.1.00.pdf):

Page 44:
"Tips for optimal performance
Formatting the microSD card
Format the microSD card once a month, or when the BlackVue dashcam tells you the card needs maintenance. Format the microSD card using the dashcam's self-format function or BlackVue Viewer (Windows or Mac). "

Page 47:
"Caution
- If you format the microSD card, all the video les stored in the microSD card will be deleted.
- Back up important video les such as event recording les before formatting the microSD card. PittaSoft Co., Ltd. will not be
responsible for the loss of video les that were not backed up.
- Formatting the microSD card once a month is recommended.
- Format the microSD card if the recorded video quality appears to be poor.
- Only use o cial BlackVue microSD cards. Other cards may have compatibility issues.
- PittaSoft Co., Ltd. will not be held responsible for any problems caused by using another manufacturer's microSD card. "

• Informative
Reactions: ABC2D
As for wondering why they suggest reformatting, speculation would be if for any reason the solid state drive's files got corrupt somehow (unlikely due to power interruption since it has a capacitor).

For example we've had some files from our back camera that were corrupt (whole day before we noticed), video wouldn't play and we saw bands of pink and green. We think it might have been a heat related issue but not sure, but this was also before we started using cabin overheat protection when the car was sitting out in the hot sun all day. Hubby turned off and on the rear camera using the app and it seemed to have reset the camera and things have been fine after that.

Saved this image off from the app's Internal Memory area when I downloaded one of the videos in question back then. I remember reading on dashcamtalk.com that people in Australia were encountering corrupt files that they attributed to their high heat days.

Corrupt camera video - 1.jpg

BTW as of May 30, 2017 there's a new firmware update for the 650S-1ch/2ch. We still need to update and will do when we reformat.

Last edited:
Another reminder about formatting:

from Blackvue website/Downloads:
"Although the basic requirement of the microSD cards for BlackVue dashcams is Class 10 or U1 and that the SD card should be formatted as FAT32 [Windows] or MS-DOS (FAT) [Mac OS], we cannot guarantee the perfect performance of cards from other manufacturers, as even cards with same specifications may vary from batch to batch."

It looks like they have updated their website and changed things around quite a bit. I'll have to see if I can locate the info again on formatting the higher capacity cards. Thought it was in some FAQ section or Blog. I remember searching around for it before.

Another reminder about formatting:

from Blackvue website/Downloads:
"Although the basic requirement of the microSD cards for BlackVue dashcams is Class 10 or U1 and that the SD card should be formatted as FAT32 [Windows] or MS-DOS (FAT) [Mac OS], we cannot guarantee the perfect performance of cards from other manufacturers, as even cards with same specifications may vary from batch to batch."

It looks like they have updated their website and changed things around quite a bit. I'll have to see if I can locate the info again on formatting the higher capacity cards. Thought it was in some FAQ section or Blog. I remember searching around for it before.

Anyone has any recommandation for which brand/spec sd cards to buy? Will this one work?
Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Black, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA): Computers & Accessories

Thanks everyone for the help.

I spoke with Johnny earlier this afternoon and decided on a 4 ch install, and he is sending someone down to San Diego for the install tomorrow!!! I will let you guys know how it goes after the installation.

Just a final update on this:

Darlus from Calibred Customs came from LA to my house yesterday afternoon for the 4 channel install, everything went smoothly and it looks like he has done this 100s of times. For or 4 ch what he did was to put the second front one on the back, and put both back cameras on the door, I believe they have a video on their Web site showing that.

I have watched and read many youtube install video and IMO they do a much better job than any of those video. I am sure I could have install the front one but the rear one is a little tricky if I want hide all the wire perfectly, and I would have no idea how to do the ones at the door. So if you want a professional OEM looking install I would call them. BTW, the front cam he was able to fish the wire through the lower part of the AP camera enclosure so it's not showing any wire at all, usually people would leave the wire outside of that enclosure. After everything is done and configured we went tfor a test drive on local street and freeway to make sure the AP cameras are working as I have seen a post about installer messed up AP camera calibration or whatever and SC wanted the owner to pay for recalibrate.

I am super happy about the installation and highly recommend these guys and will not hesitate to call them for any dashcam or audio install in the future.

We considered everything (card price, shipping, return policy if defective) given the price of a 128Gb is pretty expensive and ended up ordering a Blackvue card from the dashcamstore. They were US based, an official reseller, knew they would stand by the item if it needed to get returned, and having seen a number of people have problems with their cards fail after spending money on them and/or not being able to get a replacement under RMA, we felt it best for us to go that way. Less potential hassle. Blackvue said cards should give you about 6 months of continuous use I believe.

I've read a number of threads/posts on cards for use in the Blackvue and many people have had issues with the Sandisk product. Not sure if they've changed it since then but even Blackvue has had problems with them in their testing (and probably from calls from users). Some cards will work fine for a few weeks or more but than fail. Take it for what it's worth. We figure if fails during an accident we would be upset with ourselves for chosing something else. There's another brand out there, Lexar, that I've seen positive posts about. Check out other threads here as Blackvue cameras have been in use for a long time with users here. Also take a look at dashcamforum.com for user comments there.

Last edited:
I tried using SanDisk Ultra 128GB but it stopped working after one day. It seems it heats up very quickly and can't stand the load from the dashcam (650S-2CH). I changed that to Transend 128GB and it worked OK. The one I used and worked:
microSDXC/SDHC Class 10 UHS-I 400x (Premium)

Transcend also has high endurance type cards for dashcam, but they only offer up to 64GB.

Re reformatting I would recommend. Even solid state drives have some fragmentation, if overwritten almost at full capacity. I'm not sure why dashcam manufacturers do not use same sized file for the recording, but if you keep overwriting different sized files, the FAT will be very complex and you will have to rewrite the FAT more often than other areas of memory. That would cause the memory for FAT to wear early, further causing wear leveling or in the worst case, FAT failure. If FAT fails, your card can't be read.