Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blank Screen Every Start, new M3SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Total newbie here. Just took delivery of a standard range M3 last Sunday. Love the EV torque. Enjoying the vehicle until this happened.

After charging at home overnight, I would drive to work, park there (not charging), then upon finishing work, when I enter the car, the screen is blank. Actually, it's kind of grayish with a tiny bit of light shining through. I have to do the press brake two button press move to restart the screen for it to work. Then it works.

This has happened EVERY time after I finish work and want to start my drive home. When the screen stays blank, the rest of the car works. I can use my app to turn on music, AC, and I've even driven the car with a blank screen hoping that the screen would wake up. Got scared after driving a few miles with a blank screen so I did the screen restart.

I know blank screen seems to be common based on my reading of the threads here. But EVERY time after I park for 8+ hours?

Should I be concerned? Or should I just wait patiently until the next OTA update?

P.S. my M3 SR didn't even come with an autopilot trial. Just... nothing. Kind of bummed about that. Was hoping to try it out for a while and then decide if I want to splurge on that. Ohh well.

v9.0 (2019.12.1.1 5c87371).

argh... just as I went to the car to check the software version, with the charger plugged in, it's doing the same dim screen thing. I could barely make out all the graphics of the charging, but it's lit very dimly, with a bit of flicker. I pushed the two buttons and it restarted to normal. Heck of annoying for a car that is 5 days old.