Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlendMount Radar Detector Mount in the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm slowly piecing together the install of my Uniden R3 with the Blendmount. I have the Uniden remote kit which has a separate box with mute button, power led, and alarm led. The Uniden remote is a 3 cm x 2 cm box but finding a place to put it was a bit of a head-scratcher. So I decided to put together a 3d panel to mount in the console just behind the phone tray. Since I also have a wireless charging mat I thought I would incorporate additional USB power ports as well as a 12v socket. The panel will be the same width as the phone tray and the front of it will have 2 USB ports, Uniden remote, power swithc for Uniden, and 12v socket. The back of the panel will have 2 more USB ports to power the Qi mat. The panel will be mounted using magnets so I can pull it out if I need to reach behind it. Here's a 3D drawing of the panel.View attachment 352200
I followed the other guides to put 12v/usb quick charge extension next to the car's usb slot and mount the uniden switch box under the arm rest. That way i can mute from from a normal driving position or reach up and mute on the radar itself.

Please don't mind how dirty car is, haven't had time to clean plus its freezing out. I'm going to install console wrap then double side tape the uniden box in that position and tighten up the wiring with tubing. Will also tighten up wiring for the 12v/quick charge extension and double side tap it under the lid/tray so its out of the way for a cleaner look. Might look into a visor clip or something that can attach to where the headliner is versus the suction cup for a cleaner and stealth look, currently you can almost see it.

20181114_091209.jpg 20181114_091216.jpg 20181114_091240.jpg 20181114_091401.jpg 20181114_091601.jpg 20181114_091556.jpg

IMG_20181112_202039~6.jpg
View attachment 352612
That looks soo much cleaner/oem. I tapped the 12v in arm rest console. i didnt want to extend the line back to vcleft.

Looks like you have room for another cig lighter or coin slot? Maybe try putting cig lighter on each side and uniden box & power in the middle to even it out?

That extra space actually has another 2port USB power adapter facing inwards used to power the Nomad wireless charging mat. I plan to cover the whole thing in flocking material to match the inside of the console area. Maybe that "blank" space will have a model 3 logo.

Last edited:
The blendmount is very expensive but very well built and looks super clean. Pic is with uniden R3.

Still working on power and will install hardwire remote with mute in console with remote power cut off so I can discreetly mute or power radar right off.

View attachment 348250

How did you get the mount level? No matter what I adjusted it wouldnt level out with my detector. I had to use a zip tie to keep it level. Did you bend it?

Blendmount R3 and remote all installed. Power was tapped from 12v socket by soldering wires right at the pins that connect to the socket (so no cutting of factory insulator). Only thing I don't like is the overly bright led on the power button but everything else works well. Can discreetly mute and power off the Uniden entirely.
uniden r3 tm3.jpg

Blendmount R3 and remote all installed. Power was tapped from 12v socket by soldering wires right at the pins that connect to the socket (so no cutting of factory insulator). Only thing I don't like is the overly bright led on the power button but everything else works well. Can discreetly mute and power off the Uniden entirely.
View attachment 355385

looks very clean. can you take a pic of the solder point? just want to see how you did exactly. Or are there already videos out there showing this?

I tapped the power almost the same way as this excellent video www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_G42_z8L8c but instead of cutting insulator I pulled the pins out and soldered at the base (see red x's in pic ). Just be careful you don't make the solder joint too fat or you might have trouble reinserting the pin. Also, make sure you mark the molex with a sharpie or tape with where the pos and neg wires go...otherwise...:(
tm3 12v access2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Johnabis