Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blindspot Detection and Autopilot Errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my car 5 days ago. Today was a clear day and while drive I got a bunch of error messages. They included “Blindspot Detection Limited. Camera visibility reduced” and “Navigate on Autopilot is not available. If issue persists, contact Tesla Service”. My car is not dirty or anything. Afterwards, I parked my car for a couple hours and I’m still seeing the error message.

I’ll call Tesla service in the morning, but is this a common problem at all? Any ideas on the root cause?

I have through Saturday to return my car, and while I don’t want to, I also don’t want to keep a car that may have a bigger issue.

A couple of things to do before calling Tesla support:
  1. Ensure none of the cameras are dirty. This requires more than a visual inspection, I would recommend cleaning everything with a microfiber cloth.

2. Power the car down, wait 90 seconds, power the car back up. (Under Vehicle -> Service and maintenance, do not be alarmed if it takes a minute to boot back up).

Reactions: goldengate
Rebooting the car may help however it doesn't have to be that clean. Hell I haven't washed my car in a couple months and it has bug parts all over it and I have not received any of those warnings from the car being dirty. Now I did receive warnings like that when I took my car up north and it had ice all over the sensors. But they went away once the ice melted. This is not a common problem from what I see on the boards. You definitely want Tesla to check things out.

I started getting the blind spot warning msg after the recent upgrade to 2019.8.3

It appears to be software related

Actually a lot of people were saying that before this, the dashcam footage from their side cameras was already dodgy. So 2019.8.3 could simply have a more advanced neural net that can detect and identify camera issues.

At any rate, seems like most people report that the fix to this is f or mobile service to replace a repeater camera, which is a simple part swap.

In terms of returning the car, I probably wouldn't just for this issue. It's almost certainly just a single part or a software issue. If you return and get another car, it might have a different grab bag of issues. I don't think this is just a Tesla thing either. I've taken delivery of 3 brand new Audi's and BMWs in the period from 2012 to 2016 and each of them had various minor issues that I noticed in the first week or two of delivery.

Hopefully service gets back to you soon. If the phone doesn't work well (that goes to a national call center that can be backlogged), try making a service appointment directly from the app. That usually results in someone from your local service center reaching out to you.

Fast reply from Tesla. Remote diagnostic indicates the repeater sensor for the side camera needs replacing. There is apparently an updated part for it. Supposedly a simple swap by the mobile tech, so I’ll go that route.

Really loving remote diagnostics and mobile tech. So much better than service with other car companies.

Got the same error today. (P100D 2018) (Software 2019.8.6). The car has only 230 miles and the car and the cameras are clean.

Was driving without any problems. Did a quick stop in house driveway. When i went back in the car, the notification appeared.

Tried to reboot and also power off the car. Notification is still there.

This seems odd that we all (or most of us) are experiencing this same issue since 8.3 (I have 8.5 but same thing). I can’t imagine all of us are having a hardware failure at the same time.

Seems software related to me.

I only briefly get the error the first time I start up the car most days. It goes away by the time I’m out of my garage.

I get the blind spot detection warning every day when I’m backing out of my garage. It started with a recent software update, maybe 8.5?

I just assumed it was letting me know it can see much because I’ve got a garage wall on my left and another car on my right. It’s the only time I’ve seen that message so I haven’t paid much attention to it.

Reactions: Jwalker9
Anyone had to pay to replace the repeater cams yet? I’m getting this error and I’m wayyyy out of warranty (145k miles) wondering what the damage is going to be :-/
My car is at the SC today for this problem. Tesla’s auto-email sent me a quote for having the left repeater replaced (but it’ll be done under warranty for free).

So here is an estimate of what it might cost you:
Part (camera): $130.00
Labor: General diagnosis - $77.50
Lamp replace - $15.50

My husband and I recently got this alert one day into a 1,000 mile road trip (Portland, OR to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons). It began on the highway. First time extended high speed (85mph) driving? Massive bug splats on the front of the car? Dust and dirt from off road driving? Cleaning cameras sometimes seemed to help, other times it didn’t. When we arrived back in Oregon, the alerts seemed to go away. (????)

Tesla cam footage (from Sentry mode) showed almost consistent corruption of the bottom half of the left repeater image. Footage from “last-10-minute capture” showed occasional partial corruption of all camera images.

The car is being serviced today. They are going to do a full diagnostic of the electrical system. I’ll post the results.

2018 Model S 75D