Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Model 3 sighted on highway 237 Bay Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phaduman

Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2016
San Jose
Got a glimpse of a blue model 3 last friday. Enjoy!

My quick take given this was my first real life viewing: was easy to spot, has the Tesla genes. The car looks a bit rounder as they had to keep the headroom similar to Model S but needed to take some width out - so the sexy wider stance of modelS had to be chiseled out a bit. I think the rear is prettier than the front (lol - didn't get to see much of front!!). Def has the 19in wheels and the glass roof. So the roof tinting had to be cleared on the back for better rear visibility - unlike the early pics of model3 where it looked like a single piece of glass and vey light tint if any, from front to back. Oh well - someday they can do the photoghromatic setting (like in Dreamliner/A380) for the root to clear out by evening...

To clarify, the "glass roof" has nothing to do with the rear window, which I guess could be considered part of the "roof" but that is not correct technically. The "glass roof" component is the single piece that is directly over the driver/passenger area. The rear window extends over the rear passengers where a traditional roof would be, but that is not what Tesla is calling it.

The rear window can't be tinted completely as car regulations are different compared to SUVs and depending on the state have varying regulations on the amount of tinting allowed.

Yeah, I wonder if they'll ever get around to offering an entire structure that is glass. Much like the Model S has. I don't want it to open still, I just don't want the middle bar disturbing the flow from front to back.
I don't think it'll be possible. I think this is as close to offering an entire roof of glass as it'll come.

Yeah, I wonder if they'll ever get around to offering an entire structure that is glass. Much like the Model S has. I don't want it to open still, I just don't want the middle bar disturbing the flow from front to back.
I don't think it'll be possible. I think this is as close to offering an entire roof of glass as it'll come.
To achieve that would involve some pretty substantial structural changes. Only having structure across the A-pillar and nothing at the B and C-pillars would be design nightmare. Don't think that will ever happen. Since the S is a hatchback, having the glass from the A to the C-pillar is as good as you will get. With the 3 being a sedan with a trunk, best you will get is what they have now.

Driving on 85 south today a little after 8pm and I told my husband I just saw my first Model 3 that we just passed. Black version. He said he doubted it and it was probably a MS. I said no, positive it was a 3 because I saw the Tesla emblem but no "Tesla" badging on the rear, the rear lights were different and pretty sure when it clicked in my mind what I saw, and we had passed it at that point, saw in the side view mirror that the headlights were different from the MS. Had him pull into the far right lane and slow down as I saw it pull out to pass and was sure it would then pass us and I could check out the door handles. It was a Model 3 with Mfgr plates and got off at Cottle Road. We just put down a deposit on a Model 3 this afternoon in the showroom expecting it to replace our last remaining ICE car (this is definitely going to be a Tesla--Model 3 or MS--timing and test drive will probably be the determining factor) so felt it was kind of a sign.

Seeing Jon and Franz's Model 3s in person in Monterey definitely had me thinking about one for our second car.

Last edited: