Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth calling not working in 48.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost every update I find I need to delete my phone from the car and delete the phone app, then add back to the car and reinstall the app. Otherwise anything Bluetooth stops working correctly. Samsung Note 5 - that has recently been factory reset and has minimal apps. Still have tons of phone+car issues!

Get an apple. Lol

Let's be clear, this is a Tesla problem not a Samsung/Android problem. My phone works perfect in my other two cars. Also, when I brought it up to the SC, they asked if I had an Apple and then told me they seem to have more issues with Apple phones than Android. Either way, this is a Tesla issue and not a Android or Apple issue. ;)

Get an apple. Lol
does the same thing with apple or android. Tesla (Elon) has decided to not support modern things like cell phones and MP3 file streaming. A 2000 civic has better bluetooth and MP3 streaming capability than tesla. I wish they would put half as much effort into fixing meaningful issues rather than coding romance mode and fart buttons

This has been discussed in other threads. If you have an android phone and you make a call and get no audio, just turn the volume wheel up (or down) immediately after the call is connected and the audio will connect. This is a recent bug implemented about 3 firmware upgrades ago. Happens on the S, X and 3.

I've found with 48.12.1 bluetooth is working much better with my S8+. My phone key has always been 100%, but audio and calls take a long time to connect and sometimes the audio is not enabled. Now it connects in a few seconds like it should.

Let's be clear, this is a Tesla problem not a Samsung/Android problem. My phone works perfect in my other two cars. Also, when I brought it up to the SC, they asked if I had an Apple and then told me they seem to have more issues with Apple phones than Android. Either way, this is a Tesla issue and not a Android or Apple issue. ;)

I don’t think you can say this is a Tesla thing, just because your phone works fine in other cars.
Definitely not something you could state, “Let’s be clear”.

If Apple, Samsung, Google, or any phone Mfg, is not cooperating with software engineers at Tesla, they could have problems. Doesn’t mean it’s a Tesla problem.
We don’t know for sure either way.
I’ve had a Tesla service centre tech tell me it’s Apple. Who knows for sure.

I don’t think you can say this is a Tesla thing, just because your phone works fine in other cars.
Definitely not something you could state, “Let’s be clear”.

If Apple, Samsung, Google, or any phone Mfg, is not cooperating with software engineers at Tesla, they could have problems. Doesn’t mean it’s a Tesla problem.
We don’t know for sure either way.
I’ve had a Tesla service centre tech tell me it’s Apple. Who knows for sure.

As a senior developer/IT consultant, I feel confident in saying this is a Tesla issue and not a Android or Apple issue. How's that? :)

I've tried 4 phones and they all have issues connecting to it in one way or another. But they have no issues connecting to any other device. Cars, headphones, amazon echoes, computers, etc. But who knows without debugging code!

As a senior developer/IT consultant, I feel confident in saying this is a Tesla issue and not a Android or Apple issue. How's that? :)

I've tried 4 phones and they all have issues connecting to it in one way or another. But they have no issues connecting to any other device. Cars, headphones, amazon echoes, computers, etc. But who knows without debugging code!

So, based on your senior IT/ developer consultant experience, you’re saying there is no way Apple may be hindering Tesla’s ability to have a synergy with these devices?

I’ve heard similar issues with Google and Apple ? They don’t always play nice, and there have been glitches from those issues as a result.

You’re basing this on your four phones you’ve tried and all having issues.
So if others don’t have issues, does that mean the problem doesn’t exist.?

My point being, you can’t know based on your phone(s) not working. You’re not the senior IT/Developer consultant working with Apple or Tesla, so how do you know this is a Tesla issue ?

This has been discussed in other threads. If you have an android phone and you make a call and get no audio, just turn the volume wheel up (or down) immediately after the call is connected and the audio will connect. This is a recent bug implemented about 3 firmware upgrades ago. Happens on the S, X and 3.
When I have a problem after an update I can hear them fine but they cannot hear me. Remove Galaxy S8, reconnect and it works ok.
Certainly doesn't happen after every update though.

Delete and readd my phone didn't work. Seems it works now but the first call when I get into the car fails ...after that it works. Did not have this issue prior to this update...

It's actually sometimes more than one call...eventually it works, but it's incredibly annoying.

Also, for the "just get an apple" crowd - this didn't happen before this update. Phone worked perfectly before this...so it's definitely something Tesla changed. Not my phone.

Only time I have this issue is if my wife gets to the car before me and the car pairs to her phone.
I have to go and select my phone from the list.
That is one of my favorite features of my Volvo. I have both our phones paired and it doesn't matter who gets to the car first. Whichever paired phone outputs audio will be played via Bluetooth. Of course, the downside is I am getting to the crescendo of a song and she taps on the keyboard and the car switches to play "click click click" thru the speakers.

I do actually tend to use the USB cable to connect my phone in the stereo to avoid this problem, so maybe it's not so nice a feature.

-Randy

So, based on your senior IT/ developer consultant experience, you’re saying there is no way Apple may be hindering Tesla’s ability to have a synergy with these devices?

I’ve heard similar issues with Google and Apple ? They don’t always play nice, and there have been glitches from those issues as a result.

You’re basing this on your four phones you’ve tried and all having issues.
So if others don’t have issues, does that mean the problem doesn’t exist.?

My point being, you can’t know based on your phone(s) not working. You’re not the senior IT/Developer consultant working with Apple or Tesla, so how do you know this is a Tesla issue ?

You got me. I'm not the senior person for Tesla or Apple lol. I'm also not the senior person at NASA so I guess I can't say that we've really been to the moon.