Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth connected but not really

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 model S.

When I get into my car, my android Pixel 4 will automatically connect to the car's bluetooth. The car and phone show as connected to each other. But when I make a call the audio output and mic does not go through car's speakers and mic. It shows as connected, but it's really not connected because it has no functionality.

If I go into the car's bluetooth settings and disconnect and reconnect my phone then maybe about half the time it works correctly.

I've tried multiple times MCU resetting and forgetting and re-adding without resolution.

It is so buggy glitchy and unreliable....

Have never seen this problem. I would recommend deleting your phone from the car's bluetooth settings and deleting the car from your phone's bluetooth settings and re-pair them from scratch.

Note- About two updates ago, the phone no longer pairs with the car when you first get it...you need to put it in drive for the pairing to occur...

hello thanks for responding... yeah I've unpaired and repaired maybe twenty times... plus reset MCU etc.

I just tried what you said and put car in drive and reverse and neutral and park... still not working. It shows as connected but it doesn't work. I have to every time go into the car bluetooth and disconnect and reconnect then audio works again.

Tesla can build rockets but can't design a working bluetooth... how pathetic

I wouldn't go as far as you are going. You appear to have an edge case that others aren't seeing. I use an Iphone but I know there are plenty of Android phones out there that work flawlessly. Clearly something is going on that it isn't working for you, but to say they can't design a working bluetooth isn't true. They also don't build rockets by the way....that's a different company called SpaceX....

I realize that you drklain are defending Tesla maybe out of fondness.. but you do know that the same guy is running both companies right? Don't get me wrong I want Tesla to succeed just like you, but I don't pretend that they are perfect. Well anyway I'm not really a fanboy just want things to work and for the price it should be flawless and that's a reasonable expectation.

Anybody else have any more troubleshoot tips? My phone is a Google Pixel 4 XL without any modification and current updates. I don't have any issue connecting to other bluetooth headphones.

@Skybluewater Don't misconstrue what I said or put words in my mouth. I recognize that Tesla has many problems, particularly with service. My point was you made a general statement that:
Tesla can build rockets but can't design a working bluetooth... how pathetic
The fact Elon Musk is the principal owner of both companies is irrelevant. Tesla cannot build rockets. It never has. They are separate and independent companies (one is publicly traded, one is not). Tesla also clearly HAS designed a working bluetooth...it works for literally hundreds of thousands of people. Unfortunately it isn't working for you for some reason and I sympathize with that, but when you make general assertions that are demonstrably false, you come off as arrogant and unsympathetic. Clearly I can't help you. perhaps some user who has a Pixel can tell you anything he/she did to get it working. I have met several Tesla owners who have Pixels and didn't mention any issues so clearly it does work.

Tesla... spacex.. its all just semantics... the rockets use tesla touch screens and the cybertruck will be using rocket stainless steel and I'm sure there are many more examples I'm not aware of. Tesla's stock shot up when SpaceX had a successful launch. There's lots of crossover. Your point is inaccurate and your rant is off topic. Get a life.

You do realize that while both Dragon and Tesla cars have touch screens (as do table computers and smart phones), they are not the same nor all manufactured by the same company, right. Tesla doesn't manufacture touchscreens to be even able to sell them to SpaceX. Both companies by (different) touch screens from COTS providers. I'm not sure what you mean by "rocket stainless steel" (there is no definition for that term) but neither company manufactures stainless steel either...they both purchase rolls of stainless steel (different alloys) from stainless steel mills.

Telsa's stock is extremely volatile and does shoot up and down on an almost daily basis (full disclosure - I'm long on TSLA), but trying to tie the stock's performance to SpaceX launches demonstrates a lack of understanding of market fundamentals and the complex web of things that affect TSLA share prices in particular (not the least of which is Elon's tweets).

Your posts continue to demonstrate a propensity for exaggeration and for stating things as fact that simply aren't true. Good luck in your attempt to get assistance with your Bluetooth problem. I personally have no desire to continue engaging with you or trying to help. I'm done.

Okay update on the bluetooth (ignore drklain's verbal diarrhea)

After the last few updates to Tesla my cellular bluetooth connectivity is excellent. The good news is I can do hands free calling again without having to tinker with things. Just get in the car and go.... The only lingering problem is bluetooth audio with whatsapp... which still requires a disconnect and reconnect to get it to work. I've tried extensive troubleshooting with permissions of the app reinstalling and so on.... no luck