Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS_a085: Vehicle shutting down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'd like to share a baffling experience and would appreciate some feedback and thoughts.

This past weekend on Saturday around 12:30 PM, I was about to take my car out when I got these notifications:

IMG_8356.jpeg

I tried exiting/reentering the car and restarting the system, but still got the same errors. I drove a different car to do some errands, and stopped by a Tesla service center to ask them about these errors. They recommended that I get a tow truck and/or drive my car in to get it inspected.

When I got home, I was able to drive my car out about 3 min from my house when the whole car short-circuited with the following alarms:
IMG_8361.jpeg

IMG_8362.jpeg

IMG_8363.jpeg

I had my car towed to the service center, received an estimate from Tesla on the repairs, and just received an update saying that the repairs are complete and ready for payment and pickup.

What's frustrating is that the estimate lists the repairs, but there's no explanation why the parts failed, whether they should have failed, or if there's a bigger underlying problem. I did have my 12V battery replaced in October 2023, and all of a sudden I have this electrical issue. Tesla will likely provide an unsatisfactory answer, all for the cost of $3,700.

IMG_8430.jpeg

IMG_8431.png

Has anyone experienced this problem, or could anyone provide some insight on what could've causes this problem? I've had no issues with my car since having the 12V replaced; I can't recall if a software update preceded this event.

All in all, it's frustrating to have to pay out of pocket for a system failure that may have very much happened by coincidence, but I'm wondering if this is a faulty parts issue and if I can argue that Tesla should be covering the costs.

If you made it through this read, I thank you for your time and will appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8361.jpeg
    IMG_8361.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8361.jpeg
    IMG_8361.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8430.png
    IMG_8430.png
    694.9 KB · Views: 13
When does your battery and motor unit warranty ends?
Your high voltage convertor contractor was replaced among with some low voltage circuitry possibly due to low coolant (VCFront error).
This should have been covered by warranty.
Go to service mode and check alert history.

Thanks for your feedback. I just picked up the car and they said the root cause of this problem was the BMS failure. Specifically, they explained that everytime the car starts up, there are high voltage connectors that need to form a union in order for the car to operate. If that connection fails, then the entire car will consequently shut down.

If I had not driven the car when I received the initial BMS alert and towed my car directly to Tesla, I may have been able to save myself a ton of labor hours. Unfortunately, I've eaten $3,700 worth of some operational failure with a 1-yr warranty.