Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The challenge is, like other PHEV's, you'll find these things clogging up the chargers when BEV's need them more.
I see this around my office almost every day. I don't need the L2 charger, but a lot of the Leafs and Sparks do. Yet half the chargers are usually taken up by Volts and other PHEVs - and there are frequently emails from desperate EV owners asking if someone can PLEASE move...

I'm utterly baffled by the auto-industry's infatuation with 100hp (ish) electric motors. Do they not realize higher output options exist?
The battery capacity is limited by packaging it into body never intended for it without intruding into cargo/passenger space too much. Once you've settled on that battery capacity, that will define how much current you can pull from it and have it still survive to the end of California's electric-drive component warranty requirements. (150,000 miles/10 years?) 100HP/75-ish kW is an 8C discharge rate on a 9kWh pack. Many battery chemistries will lose charge capacity quickly at that discharge rate.

I see this around my office almost every day. I don't need the L2 charger, but a lot of the Leafs and Sparks do. Yet half the chargers are usually taken up by Volts and other PHEVs - and there are frequently emails from desperate EV owners asking if someone can PLEASE move...

that actually shows the strengths of phev (flexibility of both drivetrains) and the severe, awful weakness of owning such a compromised car as an EV. except for tesla of course.

i personally think volt is an exceptional choice in 2015, provided you can afford it.

I concur. In fact, if the original Volt had a real 80 to 100 mile battery-only range, I probably would have delayed my Tesla purchase until the Model X came about. (The Volt can't haul my wife, 4 boys, and luggage, so we'd still have our "big vehicle".)

The 50-mile battery range of the second-gen Volt is still a yawner. I live in a rural area, where a trip for groceries (except emergency milk-n-eggs stuff) is 60 mi round-trip, and winter plays havoc for a few months. So none of the other EV's really help (and you still have that nasty "pay for dual drivetrains" situation).

I think the Volt is fine, but don't get the point of PHEVs like this. Plugging it in gives you a little better gas mileage, but you still need the gasoline engine to actually do any reasonable driving. I think I'd rather get a normal gasoline only hybrid (referring to the energy source and not the propulsion technology) and not have to bother with plugging it in at all. The electric motor isn't that much more powerful than a normal Prius.

Last edited: