Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boat Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if autonomous boat launch is being considered? Anyone try launching a 24’ alone? Not impossible but wow what an amazing opportunity for autonomy!
I’ve launched 22’ alone and seen many folks do larger. It’s kinda the same wether it’s a 16ft or 30ft. Definitely easier with 2 people. Mainly need one person to pull away the trailer and park while someone else stays with/manages the boat. But you could tie off the boat you can do it alone. But it’s a lot of running back and forth and unhappy boaters waiting behind you. Depends on launch site and how busy it is.

I don’t see it pulling the trailer away and finding a good parking spot with a trailer any time soon. Which is the core part you need the 2nd person for in my experience.

The key to launching a boat alone is a good boat ramp that isn't too shallow (drops off nicely so you don't have to back the vehicle into the water up to the rear axle) and a looooooong launch rope. Hook the rope to the tongue of the trailer before backing in, then back the boat into the water until the boat floats off the trailer, then pull the car up the ramp and out of the water so you can get out and stay dry, put the car in park, get out, grab the end of the rope that you attached to the trailer tongue, and walk with it down the dock. Unless there is a heavy wind or fast moving tide, this method is sufficient for most trailerable boats regardless of size. I've done it more than 1000 times. Extra credit: determine wind direction before backing down the launch and back down along the upwind side so the dock is upwind of the boat/car/trailer. When the boat comes off the trailer, the wind will try to carry it downwind, away from the dock, preventing unnecessary damage to the boat by banging into the dock. Again, make sure the rope is loooooong enough to do this.

All excellent points. Just wondering if autosummons will have that capability one day. How awesome would that be!
The hard part would be the car knowing when the boat "breaks free" from the trailer so that the car would know to stop backing up and instead pull forward automatically and then stop again once the trailer is out of the water. Maybe you would control how far the car backed up with your phone? It would be super cool to have the car back you into the water while you're in the boat!! That would be awesome!

The hard part would be the car knowing when the boat "breaks free" from the trailer so that the car would know to stop backing up and instead pull forward automatically and then stop again once the trailer is out of the water. Maybe you would control how far the car backed up with your phone? It would be super cool to have the car back you into the water while you're in the boat!! That would be awesome!
Can't the old basic summon command do a simple reverse for c. 20 feet? You could be on the boat so you know when to release the button.