Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximizing Launch Traction of MYP by Changing Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Deaf Paul

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2023
Oahu, Hawaii
I took delivery of a MYP a few days ago and haven't flogged it hard, nor driven it in the rain or on dirty roads yet.

I read a few long threads about going to a bigger tire 295/40 and 265/40 for better curb protection. There's a bonus to this - more contact patch due to the larger diameter and the wider width. There are two negatives I can think of - More rotating/unsprung weight, and a slightly higher gearing effect.

I also know the OEM 21" wheels are heavy - I took them all off to inspect the brakes and suspension the day after I took delivery. A single wheel is heavier than my boat anchor. I kid you not.

I'm trying to find out a critical thing about being able to launch it hard in the real world environment. Not a prepped surface. Dusty. Dirty. Sometimes wet. Various grades of pavement and concrete. I'm hoping some people have given this more thought and experimentation than I have, and will chime in.

Does the power of the MYP trim overwhelm the OEM tires as-is when launching 100% on a typical pavement surface and cause the car to dial back it's power?

If yes, then I know it likely will be cost-effective and worthwhile going to a bigger tire for either, or both the contact patch and a slightly higher gearing. If no, then getting rid of wheel weight would be the first step since I understand that there's no way to increase the MYP power.

What's the word on the street?

-Paul

I took delivery of a MYP a few days ago and haven't flogged it hard, nor driven it in the rain or on dirty roads yet.

I read a few long threads about going to a bigger tire 295/40 and 265/40 for better curb protection. There's a bonus to this - more contact patch due to the larger diameter and the wider width. There are two negatives I can think of - More rotating/unsprung weight, and a slightly higher gearing effect.

I also know the OEM 21" wheels are heavy - I took them all off to inspect the brakes and suspension the day after I took delivery. A single wheel is heavier than my boat anchor. I kid you not.

I'm trying to find out a critical thing about being able to launch it hard in the real world environment. Not a prepped surface. Dusty. Dirty. Sometimes wet. Various grades of pavement and concrete. I'm hoping some people have given this more thought and experimentation than I have, and will chime in.

Does the power of the MYP trim overwhelm the OEM tires as-is when launching 100% on a typical pavement surface and cause the car to dial back it's power?

If yes, then I know it likely will be cost-effective and worthwhile going to a bigger tire for either, or both the contact patch and a slightly higher gearing. If no, then getting rid of wheel weight would be the first step since I understand that there's no way to increase the MYP power.

-Paul
Larger wheel diameter puts more stress on half shaft.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Is that a known issue for the MYP? I don’t recall hearing about such issues with the MYP. I know there are often half shaft vibration issues with the S Plaid but those cars are putting out more than 2x the power and the suspension angles are supposedly set up with poor angle choices. The Plaids also hook up harder.

My questions are pertaining daily driven/launches on unprepped pavement so again not as much stress in this case.

-Paul

Is that a known issue for the MYP? I don’t recall hearing about such issues with the MYP. I know there are often half shaft vibration issues with the S Plaid but those cars are putting out more than 2x the power and the suspension angles are supposedly set up with poor angle choices. The Plaids also hook up harder.

My questions are pertaining daily driven/launches on unprepped pavement so again not as much stress in this case.

-Paul
S/X halfshaft issues are due to the air suspension and extreme angles on the cv.

You’ll catch clicking if anything, and even then you may never.

Bumping this back up as there must be some people out there who know whether the MYP has enough power to require the TCS to dial back the power regularly with OEM tires on real-world surfaces during hard launches or not. I can't tell. At 1k miles now and still undecided on whether to go to bigger tires (cost effective) or to go to lighter and smaller wheels when it's time for fresh rubber.

-Paul

Bumping this back up as there must be some people out there who know whether the MYP has enough power to require the TCS to dial back the power regularly with OEM tires on real-world surfaces during hard launches or not. I can't tell. At 1k miles now and still undecided on whether to go to bigger tires (cost effective) or to go to lighter and smaller wheels when it's time for fresh rubber.

-Paul
Can you just turn off traction control in track mode and check for yourself? I don’t have a P, so I’m not sure.

-Paul
The stock rims/tires have no problem putting the full power down. The only time I ever sense a reduction is taking a right on red and gunning it.

From my perspective it isn't cost-effective going to bigger tires or lighter wheels. When it comes time to replace the OEM tires I'll likely go with 275/35-21 in front and and 295/35-21 in rear. It doesn't mess up the speedometer too much and provides a little curb protection. I'll just be Uber-careful until then. [I do have the caveat that I have to make it through a Colorado winter on the Pilots first. The first snow was no problem. Time will tell. Not really an issue for you though.]

Nice profile pic btw.

Reactions: Deaf Paul