Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boring Company Hyperloop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought Hyperloop runs on tunnel like tubes above ground?
hyperloop means the loop has been depressurized. Doesn't matter if it's above or below ground.

Just like the "elevated trains" in some cities have stations underground and then exit below ground to go above ground you could have a loop that does the same (hyper or not).

I'm not really sure what they are suggesting. I guess you could partially evacuate the tunnel and have the car open the recirc/vent and crank the fan to 11 to increase the pressure in the car to levels higher than the pressure in the tube but I can't imagine it's a huge pressure differential. Definitely can't get near vacuum in the tube using the method I just mentioned.

So I'm not sure what the point of the car in a closed tube is about unless the picture is showing a tube the car goes into and then the tube travels down a larger tunnel. That would allow normal pressure around the car and near vacuum in the tunnel but the pic doesn't make it clear that is what is happening.

I'm not really sure what they are suggesting. I guess you could partially evacuate the tunnel and have the car open the recirc/vent and crank the fan to 11 to increase the pressure in the car to levels higher than the pressure in the tube but I can't imagine it's a huge pressure differential. Definitely can't get near vacuum in the tube using the method I just mentioned.

So I'm not sure what the point of the car in a closed tube is about unless the picture is showing a tube the car goes into and then the tube travels down a larger tunnel. That would allow normal pressure around the car and near vacuum in the tunnel but the pic doesn't make it clear that is what is happening.
Unless they are rebranding a different idea to be "Hyperloop" I don't see either what this kind of testing has to do with it. The depressurization of the tube was designed to allow the train to reach speeds faster than conventional high speed trains. A car on tires isn't going to be able to do that.

Reactions: Electroman

My guess is a partly evauated tunnel and no one in the car. Prufrock porpoises at beginning/ end, so that is just the exposed portion of a larger underground tunnel.

Boring had previously built a test sled that was built from Tesla parts

A car on tires isn't going to be able to do that.

Well, the passengers need a pressurized compartment (custom vehicle). Tires can do it, just air them down to maintain pressure differential.

Well, the passengers need a pressurized compartment (custom vehicle). Tires can do it, just air them down to maintain pressure differential.
I'm talking about reaching speeds of well above 300mph as per the original idea. Even train tracks aren't going to be able to do that, the idea was there would be a bit of levitation.

Reactions: mongo
Oh sure, for that level. The 2017 target was around 120 MPH.
That's not Hyperloop's target, that's the Boring company Loop tunnels. The media uses the terms interchangeably, but the boring company Loop tunnels (which are tunnels designed for cars to travel on) are very different from Hyperloop.

In 2017, testing of one version of Hyperloop already hit 192 mph, initial target was 250mph:

Reactions: mongo
That's not Hyperloop's target, that's the Boring company Loop tunnels. The media uses the terms interchangeably, but the boring company Loop tunnels (which are tunnels designed for cars to travel on) are very different from Hyperloop.

In 2017, testing of one version of Hyperloop already hit 192 mph, initial target was 250mph:
Doh, yeah was looking up the Hyperloop test sled and got confuzzled.

If you create a good enough vacuum, what would be the steady state wh/mile consumption to go at 100 mph, 200 mph and 300 mph ?

Guessing at 100 mph more than half the consumption is due to air resistance at normal sea pressure ?

If you create a good enough vacuum, what would be the steady state wh/mile consumption to go at 100 mph, 200 mph and 300 mph ?

Guessing at 100 mph more than half the consumption is due to air resistance at normal sea pressure ?
(Ignoring rolling resistance which is linearish with speed)

Aero power is proportional to cube of speed, energy per mile is proportional to square of speed.
Aero is proportional to air density. 1/4 the air pressure allows double the speed with same Wh/mile (still double the power since twice at fast).

2012 Model S:
Cd 0.24
Frontal area 25.2 sq ft
Drag force at 70 MPH: 77 pounds
Aero power @ 70: 14 hp, 10.44kW, 149 Wh/mile
Aero power @ 100: 42 hp, 31.32kW, 313 Wh/mile
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/the-slipperiest-car-on-the-road.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Not much news on hyperloop these days. I can imagine that Elon is exhausted by the idea of getting building clearances across multiple states and counties. Perhaps he sees the VTOL aircraft as the answer which he has mentioned much more in the past few years.
Hyperloop was never a real Elon project. He did initial design work, and then published It as a white paper. While SpaceX has done Hyperloop design competitions, that is really a recruiting tool for SpaceX.

Elon Musk's company Hyperloop One is shutting down according to Electrek. Yet another absurd Musk venture burnt to a crisp in his bonfire of lies.

View attachment 1002043

😐

Edit: Yes, I'm being sarcastic. This is a real article Electrek posted.

Hyperloop One was a Virgin company (see logo in that photo) based on Elon's draft tech paper for hyperloop, not his company.

Or did you forget the /s?

Do you mean Virgin?

Try Wikipedia to see thar Elon's contribution was a white paper.

Remember Elon has never had a failed business.

Please do some basic research and thinking before posting nonsense.

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

Whew, faith in humanity (on the thread) restored.

The headline is super misleading and wrong, but I've gotta give some credit for the pun...
Virgin Hyperloop was using pipes...

If Elon were to make a Hyperloop link it would likely use tunnels

Yes, I know it's not Elon's. I was making fun of Electrek which I guess wasn't clear enough. Sorry about that, I added a clarifying edit.