Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bosch Power Max Level 2 charger tripped by Tesla J1772 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just took delivery of a lovely Model X 100D from Devon Tesla (Devon, PA) two nights ago. Our other car is a 2013 Nissan Leaf, so we are well acquainted with the EV lifestyle. We love the X, of course...but when I tried to charge with our existing Bosch EL-51253 charger (30A) using the J1772 adapter Tesla supplied at delivery, the car would not charge. The charging port light would go from white, to blue, to flashing green (briefly), to white again. After this, the Bosch charger's indicator light is flashing red (per Bosch, that's a "minor fault" or "temporary error" depending on which page of its manual you consult).

I tried dialing the default charging level of the Model X down to 30A; same result. I tried plugging the Bosch back into our Leaf to see what happened, and the Leaf charged normally without causing an error on the Bosch. I also tried plugging in the 120V wall charger from Tesla, and that works -- Model X is now soaking up a measly 2 mi/hr from that while I figure out what the heck is going on with the Bosch.

A few months ago, we did an extended test drive of a Model X P100D, and the J1772 adapter they supplied with that one worked fine with our Bosch.

Anyone had a similar issue? Could this perhaps be a faulty adapter from Tesla? Thanks for any insight!

Thanks, Rocky_H. So, I tried a friend's J1772-->Tesla adapter, and it didn't work either. But, miraculously, after a day of driving around, successfully using that friend's Tesla wall charger, successfully using a Supercharger, and successfully using a public ChargePoint L2 charger in town, I returned home and tried my J1772 adapter again. This time, it worked perfectly. I was utterly baffled (but of course delighted too) by this.

The only other change I had made was adjusting my Tesla's charge capacity. I set it up to full when I was out charging in public, as I figured if my home charger was going to take a few days to iron out, I'd better tank up (er, "battery up"). But I seem to recall having fiddled around with the charge level on the first night I had had difficulties with the adapter and Bosch charger. That didn't help at that time.

For now, at least, the situation seems to have resolved itself. It's as though my Tesla, having gone out into the world and seen what was possible, decided that it did in fact want to charge at home with more than a 120V connection. :)