Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boston and MA working on regs to test autonomous cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excited to see this, especially after I went for the full system for the X I just ordered.... would be nice to have it work, and be able to turn it on legally, at some point.

Me too. I'm ordering the full package on my Model 3 when the time comes. By then, it might be enabled on delivery.

It's good that they're looking at these things now, instead of when they arise. My first "conundrum" I thought of......

Most parking in Boston is the old school "take a ticket".

Say I want to go to Newbury St, and tell my car to go park in the Pru. Currently, there's no way to do that without taking a ticket. Lots can either come up with a way to use your EZPass (the "Route 128" Amtrak/T station on the Providence commuter rail line already has this), or take a picture of your plate like all-electronic tolling will do.

Also, someone could come up with a bluetooth tag that sits in the vehicle and "checks you in" to the parking lot so the gates will go up.

And then all of the other issues being in Boston. Gridlock. Street closures. At the state and federal levels, we may need to come up with a standardized, dynamic map set.

For example, a car accident or fire or some other emergency causes a road closure. An autonomous car won't know what's going on until it gets to that closed street. If the local police or fire could have access to that map to update the closures, all automated cars could have access to that, and be able to avoid the area.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with in the next 18-24 months.