Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boston Pru Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@BlueShift - Already open!

IMG_4069.JPG

$12 an hour, that's not expensive? $24 to fully charge a 75 or 100 kWh model.

I said "it is not inexpensive."

I agree with you that this is very expensive. Frankly, unless they have a valet who moves cars from supercharger spaces, I don't know who is the target customer for this site.

Tesla owners who are already parking at the Pru (likely because they work in the building) won't want to have to jump out of their office to move their car within five minutes of the charge completing-- but they'll be hit by overstay charges from Tesla unless they do.

No one else is likely to want to pay the hefty parking charge and hang around the Pru while they charge.

I almost wonder if this site is basically a kind of greenwashing for the Pru owner. Having the Superchargers allows them to show potential tenants how forward-thinking they are... But the Pru either hadn't thought this through or is basically indifferent to whether anyone actually uses the spaces (though they won't mind getting an occasional parking fee from a wayward Tesla owner who winds up there out of desperation or lack of knowledge about the parking charge).

I said "it is not inexpensive."

I agree with you that this is very expensive. Frankly, unless they have a valet who moves cars from supercharger spaces, I don't know who is the target customer for this site.

Tesla owners who are already parking at the Pru (likely because they work in the building) won't want to have to jump out of their office to move their car within five minutes of the charge completing-- but they'll be hit by overstay charges from Tesla unless they do.

No one else is likely to want to pay the hefty parking charge and hang around the Pru while they charge.

I almost wonder if this site is basically a kind of greenwashing for the Pru owner. Having the Superchargers allows them to show potential tenants how forward-thinking they are... But the Pru either hadn't thought this through or is basically indifferent to whether anyone actually uses the spaces (though they won't mind getting an occasional parking fee from a wayward Tesla owner who winds up there out of desperation or lack of knowledge about the parking charge).
I see you're from Los Angeles. It seems you are not familiar with the Prudential Center in Boston. 23 acre complex of stores, restaurants, hotels, offices, apartments (I have a son who lives there), and the huge underground garage is also convenient parking for Newbury St. shopping. Plenty of target customers who already pay to park there. I don't think the site will be lacking for use.

I see you're from Los Angeles. It seems you are not familiar with the Prudential Center in Boston. 23 acre complex of stores, restaurants, hotels, offices, apartments (I have a son who lives there), and the huge underground garage is also convenient parking for Newbury St. shopping. Plenty of target customers who already pay to park there. I don't think the site will be lacking for use.

That's interesting... And, you're right, my concept was that it was more like a traditional downtown office tower.

I still wonder how many people who currently park there will find the need to return to their cars within a five minute window to be convenient to their normal activities at the center.

Unless there is a valet, it's hard for me to believe that this sort of local supercharging (honestly, even at locations with lower or no parking fees) will take off.

Personally, I would not even consider buying an electric car without having the ability to charge at home in my own dedicated parking space.