TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Both taillights cracked

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by logan, Jul 18, 2018.

1. logan

logan Member

Picked up my new MS a month ago. One of the taillights came with a small crack beneath the plastic. A few days later, I noticed the other one was cracking in the exact same way.

Had both taillights completely replaced, but within a week, both are already cracked in the exact same spot.

The cracks are on the inside. The plastic is completely smooth to the touch.

I have now called and emailed since Sunday night and been told the guy who has been helping me “will call me back by the end of the day” to no avail. Super annoying.

Has anyone else had this happen?

564402D9-FECD-49D8-B333-FB9395DAC0F4.jpeg 17602001-F381-4789-8969-034FC82F2F49.jpeg

2. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

I had it happen shortly after I got my S75D (about 2 years ago). The cracks were in the same place, even looked pretty much the same.
    The service center (Santa Clara) said it was the first time they'd seen it, and couldn't explain it.

They replaced both sides under warranty and it's not happened since.

• Like x 1
  3. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Not the best of shots, but left and right....

IMG_4777.JPG IMG_4778.JPG

• Informative x 1
  4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

...at least u don’t have water/condensation in the tail lamps ..S’s had that issue early on too :( after it rained or you washed car

• Like x 1
  5. logan

logan Member

Sorry to hear but glad to know I’m not alone. I just can’t believe the same exact thing happened to the replacement taillights. Thanks for sharing pictures too.

Dang that sucks!

6. sidmini

sidmini Member

Something to do with the motorised charge port or spring that flips out the charge port door? Or cracked due to heat ?

7. logan

logan Member

They have no idea.

Ranger came out to replace them AGAIN.....

And scratched my car in two spots. One on the back of the bumper (not bad at all) and one right below the left taillight all the way down to bare metal.