Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visor cracked windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else purchased the sun visor for Model X? And now has a broken windshield??!

I have a 2016, current date is Aug 2023. It finally got too hot here in texas for me to bear the X windshield. So I purchased the falcon visors and windshield visors (WV). Both seemed a little too light, but the WV more so. I noticed a couple days after having it on a crack started to form on left side where visor corner meets windshield. I thought a rock i must have not noticed. But now i see that there is a crack on right side now exactly where visor corner meets windsheild on right side. I had noticed the fit super tight both there on the corners and around the rearview mirror but thought it intentional since its supposedly made for my X (i bought it direct from tesla). Im super upset about it bc im the only one that drives this vehicle and i just knew i had been hit by a stray rock when i saw first crack but thiught perhaps i missed it. I know i didn't see/hear anything hit in the last couple of days either for the right to start forming.

Trying to figure out if this is a known issue, or others have experienced similar prob so i have more support regarding my hypothesis: windshield is too tight, putting upward pressure on glass while causing weight of glass to crack under pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_7645.jpeg
    IMG_7645.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_7644.jpeg
    IMG_7644.jpeg
    658.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_7648.jpeg
    IMG_7648.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 170
I have the same set, the windshield screen only gets used when I have to park in the sun. It’s not a perfect fit but pretty close and I’ve never had a reason to worry about it hurting anythibg. I don’t think the springy edges have enough moxie to put much pressure on the glass but I’m curious what you find out.

Has anyone else purchased the sun visor for Model X? And now has a broken windshield??!

I have a 2016, current date is Aug 2023. It finally got too hot here in texas for me to bear the X windshield. So I purchased the falcon visors and windshield visors (WV). Both seemed a little too light, but the WV more so. I noticed a couple days after having it on a crack started to form on left side where visor corner meets windshield. I thought a rock i must have not noticed. But now i see that there is a crack on right side now exactly where visor corner meets windsheild on right side. I had noticed the fit super tight both there on the corners and around the rearview mirror but thought it intentional since its supposedly made for my X (i bought it direct from tesla). Im super upset about it bc im the only one that drives this vehicle and i just knew i had been hit by a stray rock when i saw first crack but thiught perhaps i missed it. I know i didn't see/hear anything hit in the last couple of days either for the right to start forming.

Trying to figure out if this is a known issue, or others have experienced similar prob so i have more support regarding my hypothesis: windshield is too tight, putting upward pressure on glass while causing weight of glass to crack under pressure.
This literally just happened to me. The WS sun shade sold by Tesla doesn’t fit snug enough and becomes a pressure point when opening the visor to the magnetic slot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 139
Oh i have it on 24/7. Why do you take yours off; is it not intended for permanent use? Sun is crazy hot in texas right now.
I prefer driving without it, but sometimes park in the sun for hours and I use it for that.
After seeing mrrobot‘s pics I’ll be careful when I swing out the visors.
I also use a reflective lower sun shade that overlaps at the visor-mirror level and is kind of tight by the visor pivot.

I picked up my new Tesla X 9 days ago. Put in the visor 2 days after getting it. Then on day 4, the windshield cracked. $2400 to replace it. Because a small sliver of glass is missing in the crack, they said it was not a stress crack. It cracked the same place yours did.

This just happened to me today on my 2023 Model X, exact same location!!!
Wow thanks for the heads up. I installed mine the day I got the car last week. Luckily I’ve only driven it for one day. I just checked and there is very little space between the windshield and the metal ring that helped keep the screen in shape. When the visor is extended from the sides to cover the windshield, it puts so much pressure on the metal against the windshield that I was not able to pull a thin piece of paper if placed between the glass and the metal ring. One strong body flex when the car goes over a nasty bump is all you need to nick the glass. Which will eventually lead to that crack. Crazy that Tesla didn’t even road tested this accessory. Needless to say I’m sending this back to Tesla. I need a screen that has a thinner metal ring.

And looks like it happened to other folks as well…

Last edited:
This literally just happened to me. The WS sun shade sold by Tesla doesn’t fit snug enough and becomes a pressure point when opening the visor to the magnetic slot.
Looking at the attached image made me look at mine XP. I looked at the base of the sun visor and see if can potentially cause the windshield to crack. The only thing that I can see could cause the windshield to crack is: while the sun visor is swing out off the rest location, perhaps the visor was pulled downward which put the opposite force at the base of visor up against the windshield and crack it? Could that be the reason it crack? just asking…

Not sure. My 2020 X never had issues with windshield, I also had a sunscreen. I picked up my new 2023 X Sept. When I took delivery I noted scratches on the windshield and pillar paint. They told me to put in service request for paint. I put in request and they told me I would need to bring it in. I decided to hold off to see if other things need work. I bought a sunscreen and put it in (I did not use the clips since they seemed too tight and didnt want to force them in). Well as mentioned above a few weeks ago the windshield cracked at the location of the scratches, so there could have been damage in transit that caused the crack once the temperatures dropped. My appointment for replacement is Jan. 4, nothing yet from Tesla on warranty or cost to repair. Insurance will cover the replacement should Tesla refuse warranty coverage, however, I don't want this is to be a continuous cycle.

Not sure. My 2020 X never had issues with windshield, I also had a sunscreen. I picked up my new 2023 X Sept. When I took delivery I noted scratches on the windshield and pillar paint. They told me to put in service request for paint. I put in request and they told me I would need to bring it in. I decided to hold off to see if other things need work. I bought a sunscreen and put it in (I did not use the clips since they seemed too tight and didnt want to force them in). Well as mentioned above a few weeks ago the windshield cracked at the location of the scratches, so there could have been damage in transit that caused the crack once the temperatures dropped. My appointment for replacement is Jan. 4, nothing yet from Tesla on warranty or cost to repair. Insurance will cover the replacement should Tesla refuse warranty coverage, however, I don't want this is to be a continuous cycle.
Tesla replaced my 2023 Model X Windshield, I had noted heavy scratches at that same area (drivers side near visor pivot) and took pictures when I pick it up new. It took 2 weeks due to a defective part they ordered (cracked) and storm disruptions to get the second replacement new windshield installed. They state they will pay for it, and are getting approvals. Stay tuned.

Tesla replaced my 2023 Model X Windshield, I had noted heavy scratches at that same area (drivers side near visor pivot) and took pictures when I pick it up new. It took 2 weeks due to a defective part they ordered (cracked) and storm disruptions to get the second replacement new windshield installed. They state they will pay for it, and are getting approvals. Stay tuned.
Just got word they covered the Windshield!!

Tesla inspectefvand deemed it a stress fracture. Covered by warranty. So they replace now under warranty... what happens in the future? Sounds defective... and at $2,245 replacement cost it needs to be recalled till they get it right
As mentioned, I had this and did not use the shade attachment pieces. I just have it held in place on its own. I agree it seems to be a design issue of the car, not the shade causing it. My 2020X never had an issue, not sure if there was any redesign on the windshield/shade/pillar for the refresh?