Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting the roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen that and it looks good on that car.

But I'm not looking to color match the paint, I just want to keep the black oem roof look but without any light bleeding through.
It's your money and your car, so you should do as you like. :) That said, I'd be concerned that wrapping the roof in black would make the interior of the car even hotter than before. Only one way to find out for sure, though. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

For our 2021 Model 3 we bought the front half of the Tesla-branded sun screen set for the roof. It's well made, and is very helpful in hot weather. One can't buy just one of the shades these days for the Model 3 - for now they only sell the pair. Interesting side note, we recently turned in our Model 3 and bought a brand new 2023 Model Y. Guess what fits just fine into the Model Y and covers the front seats? Yep, the good old well-made Tesla-branded screen for the Model 3. If we didn't have that, pretty sure we'd just get the Tesla-branded sun screen for our new Model Y to use during the hottest months of the year, if not all year long.

Our tint guy would have been willing to do the roof if we had pressed him, but it would have been more expensive than a Tesla-branded sun shade, and given how well that roof already performs I'm thinking it would not have helped as much as the Tesla-branded sun shade. :)

Dracaris

I just saw your post from a while ago

As of yesterday, the same has been on my mind.

I have owned 2 model 3s since 2019 and my third is on its way. I'm waiting for the vin # now and going to be tinting.

Along with all the other windows, I have always tinted the moon/sunroof.

Yesterday, temperature was in the 80's and it was warm in the car. Had to turn on the air conditioning. And this: I have never done and don't know why I did it. I tested the heat off the driver's window and windshield and felt no heat but when I reached up and touch the roof, I was very surprised how much heat was actually coming down on us. It made me think that the $400 dollars to tint the roof with high-end tint was a waste of money.

When my next 3 arrives, I'm thinking, tent all windows EXCEPT the sunroof. There, I will use a sunshade.

Did you find doing the sunroof using a shade only (no tint) work out as you thought? Kept the car cooler?

JimShaw

Reactions: zoomer0056
Dracaris

I just saw your post from a while ago

As of yesterday, the same has been on my mind.

I have owned 2 model 3s since 2019 and my third is on its way. I'm waiting for the vin # now and going to be tinting.

Along with all the other windows, I have always tinted the moon/sunroof.

Yesterday, temperature was in the 80's and it was warm in the car. Had to turn on the air conditioning. And this: I have never done and don't know why I did it. I tested the heat off the driver's window and windshield and felt no heat but when I reached up and touch the roof, I was very surprised how much heat was actually coming down on us. It made me think that the $400 dollars to tint the roof with high-end tint was a waste of money.

When my next 3 arrives, I'm thinking, tent all windows EXCEPT the sunroof. There, I will use a sunshade.

Did you find doing the sunroof using a shade only (no tint) work out as you thought? Kept the car cooler?

JimShaw
Despite all manner of ceramic tint and roof shade, the car still gets hot inside on a sunny day when it's parked - we basically live inside an oven down here in our very southern state. BTW, we went with the lightest possible ceramic tint for all windows because we like to be able to see out and feel safe while driving after dark, and we did not tint the roof because it's quite expensive and the roof already seems to have some form of heat-blocking tint. Anyway, the best fix for hot parking is to add a sunshade for the windshield while parked (we got one from Spigen), tell the car to enable overheat protection when we want it, and to kick the air conditioning on as we head back out to the car. :)

That said, we do find that while driving the car our experience is quite comfortable with the ceramic tinted windows and that old Model 3 sunshade in the roof. Our primary objection without the sunshade in the roof is that the sun feels like it's beating directly down on us and we don't like the glare. The Tesla sunshade with its mesh fabric blocks a high percentage of sun but still allows an open, airy feeling, which we really enjoy even on the sunniest of days.

Despite all manner of ceramic tint and roof shade, the car still gets hot inside on a sunny day when it's parked - we basically live inside an oven down here in our very southern state. BTW, we went with the lightest possible ceramic tint for all windows because we like to be able to see out and feel safe while driving after dark, and we did not tint the roof because it's quite expensive and the roof already seems to have some form of heat-blocking tint. Anyway, the best fix for hot parking is to add a sunshade for the windshield while parked (we got one from Spigen), tell the car to enable overheat protection when we want it, and to kick the air conditioning on as we head back out to the car. :)

That said, we do find that while driving the car our experience is quite comfortable with the ceramic tinted windows and that old Model 3 sunshade in the roof. Our primary objection without the sunshade in the roof is that the sun feels like it's beating directly down on us and we don't like the glare. The Tesla sunshade with its mesh fabric blocks a high percentage of sun but still allows an open, airy feeling, which we really enjoy even on the sunniest of days.
Dracaris

I thank you for your information

Going to sunshade the roof

I didn't realize that Spigen did window tint. I'll look into that

Thanks