Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bouncy / Hobby Horse Ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that the P3D suspension is too soft.

There's a freeway transition ramp (405N carpool to 55N) with a raised expansion joint in the middle of a curve. When I drive over it, the rear end compresses, hits the bump stops and bounces up, momentarily unsettling the rear end. It's far from dangerous, but it's definitely not a confidence-inspiring reaction. This happens, of course, on other roads in similar conditions. The demo P3D I drove felt identical.

My BMW 435i has adaptive dampers, and overall that suspension system is more buttoned-down than the one in the P3D. There is no bounciness or bucking. I drive both cars on the same roads and the difference is not insignificant. That same freeway transition ramp produces no drama in the BMW. That being said, there's more body roll in the BMW, and I can never seem to find the perfect setting (Comfort is Buick-soft, and Sport is just a tad too harsh on sharp bumps).

I think Tesla listened to the feedback about the early Model 3 suspensions being too stiff, then went too far into the opposite direction. Really would have preferred the Performance model to retain a stiffer setup.

Thats interesting that you think the 435 with adaptive suspension was better, because I just turned in a 2016 435 (estoril blue) with almost every option, including the track package which had the adaptive suspension, and I feel my model 3 performance is markedly better from a handling / suspension point of view. I am not a track junkie, having only been to a track to drive a coupe of times. I do like to have a bit of fun on onramps etc like most people who buy cars in this (or that bmw) class.

I know a lot of this is subjective, but its very interesting to me the very different opinions coming from the same base.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I am having the same issue with my LR RWD. My car is a 25XXX Vin built in May of 2018 so I don't believe I have the old "firm" suspension. I would describe the cars ride as firm to very firm. I am generally happy with the ride on my day to day commutes, but on longer out of town drives I often find that the car "rocks" foward and back on certain roads with a very harsh ride. I have received multiple un-initiated comments from passengers saying the ride is very rough, to which I usually respond that it's a firm, sporty suspension. But I am beginning to think this is not the norm.

To me it does not feel that bump stops are being hit, as there appears to very little suspension travel. Makes me think it's really just set up this firm. I have the 18" wheels and all 4 tires are at 40-41 psi.

I am young(28) and do not expect a cushy ride by any means. I have held off on contacting tesla about this issue but with my passengers continueing to complain I think something is off.

Thats interesting that you think the 435 with adaptive suspension was better, because I just turned in a 2016 435 (estoril blue) with almost every option, including the track package which had the adaptive suspension, and I feel my model 3 performance is markedly better from a handling / suspension point of view. I am not a track junkie, having only been to a track to drive a coupe of times. I do like to have a bit of fun on onramps etc like most people who buy cars in this (or that bmw) class.

I know a lot of this is subjective, but its very interesting to me the very different opinions coming from the same base.

Just a quick follow up. While I have not owned a BMW, I have ridden in a couple and I couldn't imagine any BMW displaying the "rocking" effect that I experience in my model 3 on some roads. In fact in trying to think of a comparison to when I might have felt a similiar ride the only thing that comes to mind is a buddy's chevy cobalt on lowered springs and larger aftermarket wheels back in college.

On a more positive note, I still love the car and if my suspension is in fact typical I may simply not be familiar with sporty suspensions. The car does remain nearly completely flat under hard cornering!

Just a quick follow up. While I have not owned a BMW, I have ridden in a couple and I couldn't imagine any BMW displaying the "rocking" effect that I experience in my model 3 on some roads. In fact in trying to think of a comparison to when I might have felt a similiar ride the only thing that comes to mind is a buddy's chevy cobalt on lowered springs and larger aftermarket wheels back in college.

On a more positive note, I still love the car and if my suspension is in fact typical I may simply not be familiar with sporty suspensions. The car does remain nearly completely flat under hard cornering!

It’s not.

I drove my 911 over the same roads last night. While stiff, it does not exhibit the same hobby horsing. But I think my pressures have dropped too low with the recent temperature drop.

I've noticed both effects. The 3's suspension is bad over rough roads. I've also noticed the bizarre back and forth rocking over certain roads at certain speeds. In the end it will likely end up being too much for me and I will trade the car.

After thinking about this a bit more, and reading the technical document linked on the first page, it appears the main variable is tire pressure. Has any one tried using lower tire pressure, say ~38 psi in the fronts and higher pressure, say ~45 psi in the rear? This would attempt to soften the front suspension while firming up the rear, per the document. I plan to play with this a bit as I have time.

And a second thought. In an effort to make this conversation a bit more objective, could others comment on the results of resting your head on the headrest while driving at highway speeds? During my 250 mile drive today I could comfortably rest my head against the headrest approx 50% of the time. This was mainly on newer very smooth roads. The other half of the time the head rest would be rocking and kicking my head.

"feels like hobby horse"

another way of saying this is pitch oscillation

(yaw pitch and roll)

with a phone, get an accelerometer App that reads and logs raw values, and place the phone flat and firmly on the dash, taped down

Lots of Apps measure "tilt" (which represents pitch when the top of phone is windshield aligned)

GO for a run on stock suspension at cruise speed. Save the data.

GO for a run on aftermarket suspension on same road same cruise speed. Compare the data!

Does one really oscillate more than the other?

Love to see the results, thanks!

After thinking about this a bit more, and reading the technical document linked on the first page, it appears the main variable is tire pressure. Has any one tried using lower tire pressure, say ~38 psi in the fronts and higher pressure, say ~45 psi in the rear? This would attempt to soften the front suspension while firming up the rear, per the document. I plan to play with this a bit as I have time.

And a second thought. In an effort to make this conversation a bit more objective, could others comment on the results of resting your head on the headrest while driving at highway speeds? During my 250 mile drive today I could comfortably rest my head against the headrest approx 50% of the time. This was mainly on newer very smooth roads. The other half of the time the head rest would be rocking and kicking my head.

@RAFEE,

Just remember at 36 psi and below I believe you’ll get the TPMS warning....esp when cold.

Ski

I am thinking about trying this.

My unscientific feedback is that lowering the rear pressure only worsens the ride. My back tires were low after getting the wheels powdercoated. Rode around for a couple of days in the low 30s PSI while the fronts were at or near 42. Ride was noticeably harsh and oscillating. Finally got to pump up the rears back to 42 PSI and now it rides much more compliant.

I'm a bit lost, not a car person. Have driven an S for nearly 3 years and just got my 3P. It's wonderful in size, looks, handling, speed (amazing), but I can feel every bump in my seat and on the wheel, like harsh!
I'm reading about aftermarket suspension.
I am keeping this little car. I want to love her completely. Is part of this just adjusting to new feels?
My sales rep said the suspension is the same as the car I test drove but that the test model's suspension may have softened with driving.
Hope?

I myself am also unhappy with the bumpy suspension, I took delivery in August 2018, LR RWD with stock 18s. I use 39psi on the tires and I'm considering going down to 35psi. The first 8 weeks it really upset me compared to how nice my previous Lexus V8 suspension was. Then in the 3rd month I started to get mostly used to it. I'm still unhappy about it and looking into aftermarket air suspension options. I still (rarely) get the hobby horse thing occasionally on certain freeways with striped cement between 30mph and 60mph.