Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Caliper & Rotor Size Performance vs. Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at Tesla this morning test driving the new Raven MX and was told by 2 Tesla sales that the brake calipers and rotors are different size between the performance vs. long range version. I thought both variant are the same brake system just the color difference on the caliper. Anyone here have more info on the new Raven brake system?

Also I notice the Raven motor whiny a lot louder than my current 2017 P100D. Is the new front motor louder?

Thanks

If my memory serves me, the performance still uses a brembo setup. The standard brakes were changed around 2016. The performance has a dedicated parking brake caliper.

They were a little inconsistent so it wasn't a hard stop. My '16 and '17 Model X both have Brembo (2 pieces) and my '16 Model S sits squarely between the two build dates and has the single piece Mando setup.

I was at Tesla this morning test driving the new Raven MX and was told by 2 Tesla sales that the brake calipers and rotors are different size between the performance vs. long range version. I thought both variant are the same brake system just the color difference on the caliper. Anyone here have more info on the new Raven brake system?

Also I notice the Raven motor whiny a lot louder than my current 2017 P100D. Is the new front motor louder?

Thanks

Ravens do differentiate between the two braking systems where as older vehicles just have red paint. The advantages of the Mando system is that it's lighter and more simplistic; thus theoretically being more reliable. (I haven't had issues with either system) The reality is that 99% of the people will not need the additional clamping power in the rear. On vehicles, 70% of the braking is done by the front brakes. With regen helping as well the importance of the rear brakes if further diminished on a Tesla street vehicle. That being said, the Brembo setup is a higher performance setup. It offers more clamping power and better heat dissipation. To take advantage of that, you have to be doing multiple hard stops.

More about brakes in this post:
P100D Brakes

For what it's worth, we bought a Raven and then returned it. I did find the raven front motor to be louder than my 2017. We also found it had more wind noise; but it was a much more comfortable/soft riding car in comparison. A lot of similiarities, a lot of differences. In some ways it was a lot better, in other ways it wasn't. Overall I just preferred my 2017.