Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake cooling idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as some know here I am draging my gutted plaid.

Sometimes I want to do back to back passes but doing so severly overheat the brakes I currently need a good 20-30 minute cool down between passes for this not tomhappen.

Now my idea is about making cooling ducts to from brakes do I stand a chance this would work ?

I dont need more braking force.

I only need to have them recover quicker at least for now
Brake ducts direct more/cooler air to the rotor *while the car is moving*. They do almost nothing to increase the total capacity of the system - certainly if you are not moving!

Getting MPP rotors and some performance pads will be a night and day difference from what you are experiencing now, plus as a side bonus for drag purposes they are lighter overall and reduce rotating and unsprung mass.

To give you some data - after 3 back to back drag runs on the teamPGR/MPP/Martian Wheels plaid in 90f ambient heat our brake temps peaked out at 400C. Actual rotor temps 10 seconds later were around 250C. That is probably enough to melt the stock pads (and the stock temps would be higher because the rotors are nowhere near as good!) but the pads we were running were just starting to get up to temp and work well in those ranges. Normal temps for us running laps on track are 600-800C.

This. It’s a misperception that big brakes are about braking power. It’s a side benefit. The real benefit is handling the heat generated by braking. Bigger rotor is a bigger heat sink. Can absorb more heat without warping etc. Track pads work at higher temps (and is why they usually suck on the street at cool temps)

More cooling is never a bad idea at the track so at a minimum that would help take temps down faster while moving.

Reactions: bhzmark
This. It’s a misperception that big brakes are about braking power. It’s a side benefit. The real benefit is handling the heat generated by braking. Bigger rotor is a bigger heat sink. Can absorb more heat without warping etc. Track pads work at higher temps (and is why they usually suck on the street at cool temps)

More cooling is never a bad idea at the track so at a minimum that would help take temps down faster while moving.
Yes. most people don’t get this.