Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Light Brightness Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving to the Truck Unveil event last month I noticed something odd with my brake lights. They work correctly under regen braking, but if there's no regen braking going on and I just have my foot on the brake pedal to hold the car still, the brake lights come on at about half brightness. Sometimes, after several seconds, they'll jump to full brightness. It seems like a weird failure mode. Has anyone had this happen?

My first Roadster had that issue, and it was a 2011 2.5. It was extremely intermittent but was never actually diagnosed by the service center. It now has a new owner and I have not heard of any complaints from him.

Could be a wiring issue in the tail lamp assembly, but I'm not an expert. Let us know if you find out anything!

Any update? Could be the brake light switch, or if wired thru a relay, perhaps the relay. Would be nice to have a wiring diagram of the brake light circuit. But seeing as we can’t get that info unless you live in Mass., perhaps it is no different from the Lotus Elise diagram. May want to research similar issues on the Lotus forums?

Reactions: Fiddler
Any update? Could be the brake light switch, ...
The brake pedal switch can easily fail if the pedal puts too much force on the switch. The brake pedal switch is a double pole, single throw switch with one pole normally closed and the other pole normally open. Plus 12V is wired to both poles and the switch connects one circuit to the 12V and disconnects the other circuit from the 12V when the brake pedal is pressed.

. +12VDC from fuse
Brake Switch.png

• Informative
Reactions: Oricle