Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake lights out of sync. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8EFCA614-382E-4C89-9126-1494942B338E.gif
A couple of weeks ago I noticed a slight sync / timing issue with my brake lights. The video attached is shot in slow-motion to make it more noticeable. My drivers side brake light illuminates slightly before the other two brake lights. First noticed on the display, then verified that it’s actually happening with the lights themselves. Is anyone else having this problem? I’ve tried multiple hard resets. Tesla isn’t aware of the problem and can’t provide an ETA of how long it will take to fix once I take it to a service center. I think it must be very annoying to anyone driving behind me.

That's pretty weird. Very interesting that what is actually happening with the brake lights is also reflected on the touchscreen! Which software version is your Model 3 running?

I recall seeing a thread on it before it started happening to me as well. Searched all over but couldn’t find anything. I’m on software version 2018.21.9.

Hopefully it’s just a matter of reinstalling the software at the service center. Very weird bug though.

That's better than the truck I saw yesterday. He was at a stop sign and I looked and saw he was turning right, when I looked again, he was turning left.

Seems bottom turn signals were wired backwards. Top of bed signals were correct.

I just noticed the same behavior in my Model 3 earlier this evening. Left brake light turned on slightly before the right. Still stuck on 2018.21.9. I think I read somewhere else that this is fixed with an update? Anyone else run into this?

the lighting in a model 3 isn’t like regular cars and the various components need to be synced.
They can do this OTA by triggering another firmware update which forces a resync.
That fixed an issue I had with indicators flashing too fast. It was funny, the sound clicked at the normal pace but the dash and the lights blinked too fast.

Well now as of this morning I’m finally running 2018.26.3. I’ll have to keep an eye on the screen to see if my brake lights are still doing this, but I’m hoping the update took care of it.