Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12.3 today - utter failure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got FSD V12.3 this week. It is good but not up to the mark. These are the things I HATE about it.

1. If I am driving on a road with speed limit 50 mph and I am following someone (with FSD on), the car next to me pick up speed to 55 mph and so does other cars around me. But my Model Y LR is so slow, it stays 50 mph or goes even lower. I need to press acceleration.

2. It doesn't pick up speed. What i mean is if there is traffic on road and it starts moving, tesla keeps increasing distance between me and next car to irritating level. It needs to read road conditions faster and should react like human. Its so slow in picking up speed.

3. I tried FSD during sunset. I was leaving from IKEA and i started FSD from parking lot. It was good until I went to first signal to merge on main street. There were two lanes (Left turn lane only and left/straight/right turn lane). According to map, I had to stay on right lane to turn left. What FSD did was, when I approached 100 feet before signal, it randomly made a fast right turn on curb (painted red). I took control and steered the right way. It was crazy.

4. It doesn't keep car in the middle of the road. It drives so close to the right side. I even got honked. lol

These are easy things Tesla team should have known. I was so hopeful when they said Version 12 is the best one yet. C'mon.

First I’ve heard of v12 being too far to the right side of the lane.

When mine did that (on older version of software), recalibrating the cameras helped.
You beat me to it. :)

Try recalibrating your cameras. First, make sure your cameras are clean and dry (I just wash the car and dry it thoroughly). Find a place to pull over just before a freeway entrance. I personally reboot the car at this point. Once it comes back up, go into Settings, and Service, then Camera Calibration and clear the calibration. Put it back into Drive and get on the freeway.

Drive in the middle lane and try to keep a good distance with any lead car. You want the cameras to have a good, clear view of the lane lines all around you. If you're driving 65MPH or so, with good, clear lane lines, it should recalibrate in about 10 or so miles. Then just pull off the freeway and park, then go back into Settings - Autopilot and re-enable FSD Beta.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and SO16
First I’ve heard of v12 being too far to the right side of the lane.

When mine did that (on older version of software), recalibrating the cameras helped.

Nope, mine does it too on v12 BUT not consistently.

There are bends where it hugs the outside of the turn.

I have a spot where the road slopes off (major crown) so that the car wants to effectively go off the road. V11 corrected and worked to keep the car centered. V12 does not fight as hard, let's the car drift right then back to the center. Almost like a human with low gain vice computer really working to stay centered.

Its more human like in v12 with respect to lane keeping from what I have seen so far. I have not cal'd the cameras in a long while and my car is dirty. Maybe I will clean up the cameras tomorrow and see if anything changes.

OMG same here just posted v12.3 so bad

1. Car too close to right lane even almost hitting the wall very scary I can't even use it

2. Speed I was able to increase speed and car will speed up now it says closer to speed limit

What the heck Tesla 11.3 was good never had a problem now this frap

After every software update, I always power the vehicle off for 5 minutes, then reactivate the vehicle by opening the driver’s door, then 2 scroll wheel + brake pedal reboot
This is totally unnecessary. Sure if there are problems, this is often the first thing to try. But after every update? I've never done that, and never had a problem after an update. As someone else said, the car reboots itself as needed with updates.

• Love
Reactions: SalisburySam
Got FSD V12.3 this week. It is good but not up to the mark. These are the things I HATE about it.

1. If I am driving on a road with speed limit 50 mph and I am following someone (with FSD on), the car next to me pick up speed to 55 mph and so does other cars around me. But my Model Y LR is so slow, it stays 50 mph or goes even lower. I need to press acceleration.

2. It doesn't pick up speed. What i mean is if there is traffic on road and it starts moving, tesla keeps increasing distance between me and next car to irritating level. It needs to read road conditions faster and should react like human. Its so slow in picking up speed.

3. I tried FSD during sunset. I was leaving from IKEA and i started FSD from parking lot. It was good until I went to first signal to merge on main street. There were two lanes (Left turn lane only and left/straight/right turn lane). According to map, I had to stay on right lane to turn left. What FSD did was, when I approached 100 feet before signal, it randomly made a fast right turn on curb (painted red). I took control and steered the right way. It was crazy.

4. It doesn't keep car in the middle of the road. It drives so close to the right side. I even got honked. lol

These are easy things Tesla team should have known. I was so hopeful when they said Version 12 is the best one yet. C'mon.

I just got it today (free trial) and have experienced the same all day. I’ve never had the previous versions so I don’t know if there is an improvement or not. But I will say as a new user it’s not worth the cost. I’d pay for the FSD graphics though….

Reactions: QUBO
I got my car back to center

1. Reboot with scroll wheels
2. Calibration cameras
3. Took on highway 6 miles and after calibration car back on center lane

As far as speed hit or miss sometime it reach my offset plus 15 mph sometimes it stays below until I press the gas pedals

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne
I tried V12 in the suburbs and lasted about 2 minutes. It was way too hesitant at intersections, not crossing when there was plenty of time and then would not go with the flow of traffic, creating backups, e.g. reading a school zone speed then never speeding back up after leaving it. Maybe next year...

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne

Except for #3, that actually sounds like a good report.

Speed not optimal is far from a bad report.

I tried V12 in the suburbs and lasted about 2 minutes. It was way too hesitant at intersections, not crossing when there was plenty of time and then would not go with the flow of traffic, creating backups, e.g. reading a school zone speed then never speeding back up after leaving it. Maybe next year...

So are you dinging it for being safe?

Speed is a new issue and is expected to change.

You got to give it more than 2 minutes.

What setting were you using? Chill, Average or Assertive/Aggressive? IME these choices make a big difference. Sounds like you were in Chill mode. Set it to Assertive/Aggressive - and choose the new "auto max" setting for speed.

What setting were you using? Chill, Average or Assertive/Aggressive? IME these choices make a big difference. Sounds like you were in Chill mode. Set it to Assertive/Aggressive - and choose the new "auto max" setting for speed.
It was on Average. It would also enter an intersection, pause, then continue on, which I found frightening because there were other cars around. Perhaps Average means sometimes aggressive, sometimes chill?

ewood: I'm not dinging it for being "safe", I'm dinging it for being overly cautious to the point of frustratingly passive aggressive. Then, at some inopportune time, it may react in some not passive aggressive way. I've used v11 some, and v12 did not wow me right off the bat. I do like the graphics.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
It was on Average. It would also enter an intersection, pause, then continue on, which I found frightening because there were other cars around. Perhaps Average means sometimes aggressive, sometimes chill?

ewood: I'm not dinging it for being "safe", I'm dinging it for being overly cautious to the point of frustratingly passive aggressive. Then, at some inopportune time, it may react in some not passive aggressive way. I've used v11 some, and v12 did not wow me right off the bat. I do like the graphics.
Try the Chill/Aggressive settings and see if it makes any difference. I've definitely noticed a difference in how FSD behaves when making these changes. When you say it's entering an intersection - like what exactly is it doing? Is it waiting to make an unprotected left hand turn for example? If so, entering the intersection and then pausing makes sense.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
Try the Chill/Aggressive settings and see if it makes any difference. I've definitely noticed a difference in how FSD behaves when making these changes. When you say it's entering an intersection - like what exactly is it doing? Is it waiting to make an unprotected left hand turn for example? If so, entering the intersection and then pausing makes sense.
Thanks, I'll try out the other two modes. I installed 2024.3.10 today and it seemed a little better, although it did not know when some speed limits changed because no signs are posted in one direction. At the intersection from my neighborhood to a country, but well marked, 55 mph "highway" with no oncoming traffic (only left/right turns are possible, straight goes into a ditch), for a left hand turn it sticks it's nose out into the intersection, pauses, and then very slowly makes the turn. It then accelerates very quickly to the speed limit. Kind of nerve racking.

That's exactly correct! I went into the settings, and I was only on the beta auto-something. FSD was NOT enabled, even though I've been paying for it for months with the previous version. Then I had a small issue trying to enable it because I missed the check box to accept terms before the OK button would activate. So, stupid me. I'm about to go try another test.

My girl said she would wait to hear back from my testing before going for a ride with FSD...
And you blasted FSD before even checking if it's enabled or not... wow

I've got FSD 12.3 as of this morning, and it is so bad I think something must be broken. I have been using FSD 11.4.9 for months, including two trips to California and back (from Phoenix). Here's what is going wrong.

First, an anomaly in regard to the software download (yesterday), version 2023.44.30.25 replacing 2023.44.30.8 on my 2023 MYP: It downloaded midday yesterday, and oddly the release notes said FSD 11.4.9. The software seemed to install cleanly, and I took it on a quick test drive last night. Still FSD 11.4.9. Today I got up and the release notes say FSD 12.3. Hmm.

OK, so I tried to take a 24 mile round trip from north Phoenix to Carefree to pick up a bag of coffee beans. (A destination I've used before for testing FSD.) The result was utter failure. FSD could not take me to my destination, nor could it take me home again once I got to Carefree. And the reason for that is that it refused to turn - it failed EVERY turn. All FSD would do was to stay in whatever lane I was in at a stop and then go straight.

Here are the problems I had, in order.
1. Autosteer temporarily unavailable. I could not turn on FSD for a mile or so until I got out of my neighborhood and onto a street with painted lines. I noticed several times that FSD would not engage if there were no painted lines on the side of the road.
2. Refused to get into turn lane / would not follow nav. Trying to turn right onto Carefree Highway at 27th Ave, the car refused to get in the turn lane and turn.
3. Never put on a turn signal. Related to the above, I'd say.
4. Refused to get in a turn lane even when I manually put on the signal and the nav was telling me to turn. This seems really weird because the car did change lanes just fine on multiple lane highways when I manually used the turn signals. It only refused to turn at a corner - any corner. Every corner. The last corner on the trip gave me a 'auto lane change unavailable' message.
5. Stops at GREEN lights! Yes, on Carefree Highway, a 55mph rural road, the car repeatedly slowed and STOPPED at green lights. The display showed the lights were green too.
6. Will not proceed from a stop light or a stop sign by itself. ? Every time I was stopped at a light or a stop sign, the car sat there with a message that I needed to use the accelerator or gear stalk (how?) to proceed. When I got it going, it did such slow acceleration that Buicks were going around me.
7. Will not go more than 5 mph over the speed limit. Meh.
8. Very inconsistent behavior coming up to stop lights. Actually, in retrospect it's like the car reversed red and green lights in ways. If the light was green and empty of cars, my car would start 'slowing for traffic control' 500 feet ahead of it. And it was gently brake to a stop - at the GREEN light. However, when coming up to a red light with cars stopped, my car would zoom in at 60mph then jam on the brakes.
9. There were several times where I had to pull the stalk multiple times to get FSD to engage.

The weirdest part is certainly the lack of turning, but in particular when I was coming to a turn with a turn lane and manually put the turn signal on. Not only would the car not get into the turn lane, it fought me and I had to disengage to make a turn.

I'm wondering if my FSD software is all mixed up between 11 and 12. It's completely unusable, unless you never need to turn.
I had no software or version discrepancies. Maybe you should reboot your car.
But I had some similar failings of my FSD:

“All FSD would do was to stay in whatever lane I was in at a stop and then go straight.”
That's what FSD does to me when it should follow navigation and take the U turn. It stops in the passing lane! OMG! And refuses to take that U Turn. On both state roads here (4 lanes with a turn lane in the middle) it refuses to set up for U Turns and then Refuses to take the U turns. U Turns are crucial for driving around here.

“FSD would not engage if there were no painted lines on the side of the road.”
My FSD will engage in my neighborhood where there are no lines.

“ Refused to get into turn lane /would not follow nav.”
Similarly my FSD refuses to make the U turns in the navigation screen. It won't even get over so it can turn. When I use the directional to make it get in the lane, it just stops in the passing lane once it gets to the designated turn, in spite of high speed traffic behind me.

“However, when coming up to a red ight with cars stopped, my car would zoom in at 60mph then jam on the brakes.”
My FSD did something like this today. It sped VERY fast right at STOPPED traffic, then slammed on then brakes at the last moment.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try out the other two modes. I installed 2024.3.10 today and it seemed a little better, although it did not know when some speed limits changed because no signs are posted in one direction. At the intersection from my neighborhood to a country, but well marked, 55 mph "highway" with no oncoming traffic (only left/right turns are possible, straight goes into a ditch), for a left hand turn it sticks it's nose out into the intersection, pauses, and then very slowly makes the turn. It then accelerates very quickly to the speed limit. Kind of nerve racking.
In my car, 22 Model 3 Performance, it is very nerve racking. I have FSD in chill, makes no difference. It races way too quickly and gets to a top speed so fast that it burned rubber once. I'm wondering if FSD isn't calibrated for such a fast car. Sometimes it accelerates to the max only to slam on the brakes near the last moment. I have many other FSD complaints. I find FSD very nerve racking, all in all. And frankly not useable in this town that I live in.

I had no software or version discrepancies. Maybe you should reboot your car.
But I had some similar failings of my FSD:

“All FSD would do was to stay in whatever lane I was in at a stop and then go straight.”
That's what FSD does to me when it should follow navigation and take the U turn. It stops in the passing lane! OMG! And refuses to take that U Turn. On both state roads here (4 lanes with a turn lane in the middle) it refuses to set up for U Turns and then Refuses to take the U turns. U Turns are crucial for driving around here.

“FSD would not engage if there were no painted lines on the side of the road.”
My FSD will engage in my neighborhood where there are no lines.

“ Refused to get into turn lane /would not follow nav.”
Similarly my FSD refuses to make the U turns in the navigation screen. It won't even get over so it can turn. When I use the directional to make it get in the lane, it just stops in the passing lane once it gets to the designated turn, in spite of high speed traffic behind me.

“However, when coming up to a red ight with cars stopped, my car would zoom in at 60mph then jam on the brakes.”
My FSD did something like this today. It sped VERY fast right at STOPPED traffic, then slammed on then brakes at the last moment.
What version FSD are you running?