Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12.3 today - utter failure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An update after a week of driving FSD "Supervised" 30 day demo V 12.3.3:
It's overall horrible here in my town in rural Florida. Perhaps I have more situations that FSD cannot handle than others who only praise FSD.
While I'm amazed at traffic complexity it does handle, I will not drive with FSD and will not purchase. It failed here way too many times. It's going to take some time before I'm comfortable and not a nervous wreck sitting in this car with FSD driving it.

Keep this in mind, ONE egregious error wipes out all the great driving. Safety has to be paramount. And a comfortable, confident ride also is critically important. But FSD isn't ready for this demo release to the public at large.

Issues, roughly in order of concern:

1. Drives like a drunk teenager who got his first fast car he borrowed or stole. Way, way, way too much acceleration, way too frequently! But especially getting into a roadway from a stop sign. "Drive it Like You Stole It!" Should be the FSD motto.
2. Drives absurdly fast towards stopped traffic. I had to disengage, certain of a collision more than once. Frankly it scares me and I have a Performance for a reason, I like to occasionally go quite fast in turns and in acceleration, but this is dangerous and unsettling.
3. FSD cannot follow navigation under a number of circumstances and navigation is wrong in others when FSD does follow it. I live in a town where it's necessary to do U turns on the main roadway. I have to take a U turn every time I leave my neighborhood. FSD will not do it! Will not! It's so bad that twice it stopped in the highway in the left turn lane, which is also where the U turn is. Then it stops right there in front of the turn but will not take it. I had to take over for fear of being rear ended in the passing lane while stopped. Another time I let it do it's thing. Navigation said left lane for left turn to the U turn, but FSD put the car in the right lane and it turned right down a dead end dirt road opposing the U turn, and just kept going. I had to disengage. Another instance navigation told FSD to turn a block too early and drive in an pointless loop, nowhere near the destination.
4. Weaves too aggressively, even on chill. It does it so quickly that I cannot "Supervise". I do not have time to check for clearance, it's already made the lane switch and I'm just trying to catch my breath.
5. Drives / makes decisions to GO fast, way too quickly. I did not expect it to take off so fast. I never got a chance to "look both ways". Impossible to "Supervise".
6. Does a strange deceleration "dance" when approaching stopped traffic. It's not "human-like". I get quite nervous about the car behind me. It hits the brakes hard, then strangely kind of accelerates, then kind of creeps to a stop. Why can't that all be smooth?
7. I have it in one of the speed limit settings where it should drive "naturally" but it will go "speeding ticket" fast, over the speed limit. There's a HUGE warning sign here, if you go over 10 over the 45 MPH speed limit, you'll be heavily fined. There's no way to slow it down from 60 MPH without disengagement. The thumbwheel has no impact on speed.
8. I find it tricky to auto park. Sometimes it does, other times I don't get the screen to turn it on.
9. Summons is weird. The one time I tried it left me not wanting to try it again. Once I asked it via Summon to drive out of the garage, suddenly it turned the wheel and was heading into the garage door jam on the driver's side. I stopped it!
10. Does a weird dance when it decides to change lanes. It puts on the directional, moves slightly over the line, then moves back into the lane, then changes lanes. That's terribly confusing to me and to other drivers around me.
11. I don't know how this will be a Robo Taxi when it drives aimlessly once it gets into the destination parking lot. Why can't it pick a spot and properly park?
12. It needlessly weaves when it would be fine just to chill. I have it set on chill but it doesn't chill. It doesn't understand I'm only 2 miles from home, no need to be passing and weaving. Just stay in the right lane, as the turn is up ahead.
13. Hangs out in the passing lane for no reason at all. This is bad human behavior. I have to tell it to get over to the right lane. It seems to prefer this and does it quite often.

This is far from ready.
Although in some complex traffic situations I think it is safer than most humans, that good performance is all wiped away by serious errors, speed, acceleration and braking frensy issues. It makes me very concerned in the car while FSD is driving. It makes me highly on edge. FSD was released as a demo too soon. It's not ready for this. Tesla made a mistake.

Last edited:
I am running the 30 day trial version. I believe they are all the same release, 12.3.3. My car is on Version V11.1(2024.3.10).
This is running on a 2022 Model 3 Performance.
Being on FSD 11, then all I can say is that FSD 12 changes the rules.

I was in my driveway, definitely no lines and engaged FSD and it took me to the restaurant and navigated the parking lot (again no lines) until in front of the restaurant.

13. Hangs out in the passing lane for no reason at all. This is bad human behavior. I have to tell it to get over to the right lane. It seems to prefer this and does it quite often.
I've noticed that too. I thought that if I put the right turn signal on, that it would move the lane on the right, but it shuts my turn signal off and stays in the left lane.

Reactions: Georgesb2
I've noticed that too. I thought that if I put the right turn signal on, that it would move the lane on the right, but it shuts my turn signal off and stays in the left lane.
I almost always end up using the "minimize lane changes" feature when using FSD 12.3.3 - it's still lane change happy same as 11.4.9 was - if not moreso/worse so far. We're taking a 140 mile each way long weekend trip starting tomorrow afternoon during which I plan to utilize FSD 12.3.3 as much as I can just to see how it does on one of our weekend getaway trips. I am really hoping that Tesla offers some kind of discounted extension much less than $199/month for FSD after the conclusion of the 30 day trial. As much as it's fun to play around with this tech - as long as it's nagging me as much as it currently does - IMHO as long as it remains an L2 ADAS system it'll never be worth the money Tesla seems to think it's worth.

I almost always end up using the "minimize lane changes" feature when using FSD 12.3.3 - it's still lane change happy same as 11.4.9 was - if not moreso/worse so far. We're taking a 140 mile each way long weekend trip starting tomorrow afternoon during which I plan to utilize FSD 12.3.3 as much as I can just to see how it does on one of our weekend getaway trips. I am really hoping that Tesla offers some kind of discounted extension much less than $199/month for FSD after the conclusion of the 30 day trial. As much as it's fun to play around with this tech - as long as it's nagging me as much as it currently does - IMHO as long as it remains an L2 ADAS system it'll never be worth the money Tesla seems to think it's worth.
Totally agree!

An update after a week of driving FSD "Supervised" 30 day demo V 12.3.3:
It's overall horrible here in my town in rural Florida. Perhaps I have more situations that FSD cannot handle than others who only praise FSD.
While I'm amazed at traffic complexity it does handle, I will not drive with FSD and will not purchase. It failed here way too many times. It's going to take some time before I'm comfortable and not a nervous wreck sitting in this car with FSD driving it.

Keep this in mind, ONE egregious error wipes out all the great driving. Safety has to be paramount. And a comfortable, confident ride also is critically important. But FSD isn't ready for this demo release to the public at large.

Issues, roughly in order of concern:

1. Drives like a drunk teenager who got his first fast car he borrowed or stole. Way, way, way too much acceleration, way too frequently! But especially getting into a roadway from a stop sign. "Drive it Like You Stole It!" Should be the FSD motto.
2. Drives absurdly fast towards stopped traffic. I had to disengage, certain of a collision more than once. Frankly it scares me and I have a Performance for a reason, I like to occasionally go quite fast in turns and in acceleration, but this is dangerous and unsettling.
7. I have it in one of the speed limit settings where it should drive "naturally" but it will go "speeding ticket" fast, over the speed limit. There's a HUGE warning sign here, if you go over 10 over the 45 MPH speed limit, you'll be heavily fined. There's no way to slow it down from 60 MPH without disengagement. The thumbwheel has no impact on speed.

I agree completely with 1 and 2; far from polished driving. My insurance monitor agrees also...sometimes docks me for braking and acceleration.

I also thought that speed control didn't work, but I've discovered that it sometimes does work, but takes a LOOOONG time to change speeds...up to 30 seconds. Hard to tell it's working.