Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12.3 today - utter failure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got FSD 12.3 as of this morning, and it is so bad I think something must be broken. I have been using FSD 11.4.9 for months, including two trips to California and back (from Phoenix). Here's what is going wrong.

First, an anomaly in regard to the software download (yesterday), version 2023.44.30.25 replacing 2023.44.30.8 on my 2023 MYP: It downloaded midday yesterday, and oddly the release notes said FSD 11.4.9. The software seemed to install cleanly, and I took it on a quick test drive last night. Still FSD 11.4.9. Today I got up and the release notes say FSD 12.3. Hmm.

OK, so I tried to take a 24 mile round trip from north Phoenix to Carefree to pick up a bag of coffee beans. (A destination I've used before for testing FSD.) The result was utter failure. FSD could not take me to my destination, nor could it take me home again once I got to Carefree. And the reason for that is that it refused to turn - it failed EVERY turn. All FSD would do was to stay in whatever lane I was in at a stop and then go straight.

Here are the problems I had, in order.
1. Autosteer temporarily unavailable. I could not turn on FSD for a mile or so until I got out of my neighborhood and onto a street with painted lines. I noticed several times that FSD would not engage if there were no painted lines on the side of the road.
2. Refused to get into turn lane / would not follow nav. Trying to turn right onto Carefree Highway at 27th Ave, the car refused to get in the turn lane and turn.
3. Never put on a turn signal. Related to the above, I'd say.
4. Refused to get in a turn lane even when I manually put on the signal and the nav was telling me to turn. This seems really weird because the car did change lanes just fine on multiple lane highways when I manually used the turn signals. It only refused to turn at a corner - any corner. Every corner. The last corner on the trip gave me a 'auto lane change unavailable' message.
5. Stops at GREEN lights! Yes, on Carefree Highway, a 55mph rural road, the car repeatedly slowed and STOPPED at green lights. The display showed the lights were green too.
6. Will not proceed from a stop light or a stop sign by itself. ? Every time I was stopped at a light or a stop sign, the car sat there with a message that I needed to use the accelerator or gear stalk (how?) to proceed. When I got it going, it did such slow acceleration that Buicks were going around me.
7. Will not go more than 5 mph over the speed limit. Meh.
8. Very inconsistent behavior coming up to stop lights. Actually, in retrospect it's like the car reversed red and green lights in ways. If the light was green and empty of cars, my car would start 'slowing for traffic control' 500 feet ahead of it. And it was gently brake to a stop - at the GREEN light. However, when coming up to a red light with cars stopped, my car would zoom in at 60mph then jam on the brakes.
9. There were several times where I had to pull the stalk multiple times to get FSD to engage.

The weirdest part is certainly the lack of turning, but in particular when I was coming to a turn with a turn lane and manually put the turn signal on. Not only would the car not get into the turn lane, it fought me and I had to disengage to make a turn.

I'm wondering if my FSD software is all mixed up between 11 and 12. It's completely unusable, unless you never need to turn.

I don't think you were in FSD. Probably AP. Check the settings, may be FSD is not enabled - may be the download didn't go properly.
That's exactly correct! I went into the settings, and I was only on the beta auto-something. FSD was NOT enabled, even though I've been paying for it for months with the previous version. Then I had a small issue trying to enable it because I missed the check box to accept terms before the OK button would activate. So, stupid me. I'm about to go try another test.

My girl said she would wait to hear back from my testing before going for a ride with FSD...

I don't think you were in FSD. Probably AP. Check the settings, may be FSD is not enabled - may be the download didn't go properly.
This reminds me of something else - I thought the display was different from FSD, but I couldn't tell that I was or was not in FSD. But for sure I was in something that used double-pull. I wish the display had something explicit about FSD more than turning the steering wheel icon blue.

This reminds me of something else - I thought the display was different from FSD, but I couldn't tell that I was or was not in FSD. But for sure I was in something that used double-pull. I wish the display had something explicit about FSD more than turning the steering wheel icon blue.
The car visualization is very different with FSD, FSD shows more of the road and vehicles around you. Turn FSD back off and you’ll see what I mean.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and pilotSteve
Can you update the title? Since you didn't have a failure with FSD?

Actual FSD 12.3 today - utter success!

I still have some issues, today mostly relating to it not picking the correct turn lanes, but wow! It's as good as everyone says. I say it's finally worth paying for. Did about 60 miles just now, and the biggest failures were a) not getting in one of two turn lanes to get in the interstate, and b) it doesn't like going through the gate into my community, even though it auto-opens the gate when I get close.

I do wonder why I didn't get FSD 12 automatically, coming from FSD 11? EAP also is a paid subscription, and it was enabled where FSD was disabled.

One more annoyance - speed limits not changing upward. There were several instances of me going along at the speed limit, say 30mph, and the car not going faster when the speed limit changed (like to 55mph).
Yeah, that looks just like a trip in my MYLR, however mine stopped doing lane changes when I put on a turn signal and won't let me change lanes without disengaging. Each drive is a learning experience about what the car will do next.

The weirdest of which, I believe, is when a route is selected, the car prefers to stay in the passing lane until a turn. At about a block from the turn, the car will try to get to the lane farthest from the turn direction. Right turn, dive for the far left lane, Left turn, dive for the far right lane. Once it is allowed to get to the wrong lane, it is satisfied and dives across all the lanes to get to the correct lane and makes the turn. It's really pretty impressive how well it merges and darts through gaps to get across 5 or 6 lanes in very short distance. (I don't let it do that if there is any traffic around, but giving it a pretty free hand when safe to do so, is a good learning experience for me about what to expect from it.)

Reactions: Georgesb2
Can you select single or double pull FSD with 12.3?

I've had 12.3 for two days, and yesterday I was able to single pull for cruise control and double pull for FSD... I think, but pretty sure.

Today, it was on single pull and when parked it wouldn't let me select double pull. I would have never selected the single pull, I like the cruise control. So it surprised me this morning with FSD hitting on single pull.

I'll try at lunch again to go back to double pull.

Can you select single or double pull FSD with 12.3?

I've had 12.3 for two days, and yesterday I was able to single pull for cruise control and double pull for FSD... I think, but pretty sure.

Today, it was on single pull and when parked it wouldn't let me select double pull. I would have never selected the single pull, I like the cruise control. So it surprised me this morning with FSD hitting on single pull.

I'll try at lunch again to go back to double pull.
Check the autopilot settings.

Check the autopilot settings.

I have the normal 3 settings: TACC - Autosteer - FSD

When I select Autosteer, I can choose between Single Pull or Double Pull.

When I select FSD, even if I selected Double Pull on Autosteer, if switches back to Single Pull. And then its grayed out.

Picture! The Single Pull is selected, and the text is not White like the FSD above. Doesn't let me choose Double.
1000009224.jpg

When I select FSD, even if I selected Double Pull on Autosteer, if switches back to Single Pull. And then its grayed out.

Picture! The Single Pull is selected, and the text is not White like the FSD above. Doesn't let me choose Double.
Not available in v12. Go to this thread for info.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16

View attachment 1031933
Ah. Per the next post,looks like v12 has different options. I’m still on v11.