Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pads replacement for a SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could've used better wording but I'm talking about the feel of the pedal as mentioned by the OP, not track use. The weight of my foot on the brakes of my previous C63 and even C300 would deliver confident stopping power which barely exists even with moderate pressure on the 3.
Thanks for clarification, I missed the point.
To answer intended comment, I drive S, and am happy with it. But I don't even remember my brake pedal feel, I so rarely need to use it. And this is from a guy who during summer had to change 3-4 sets of pads and 2 sets of rotors on Porsche. (obviously, track use). When I tried seriously hard pads, I had to change 2 rotors per pad :) Smooth is fast...

So I have a Lr awd and I’ve been dealing with the same concern. I installed the mpp master cylinder brace and it improved the brake feel. It feels a lot more linear and predictable but I’m still not happy with it. My next step is unplugged performance street and track pads and after that ss lines and better fluid. I’m also slowly getting my car track ready so I was going to do these things anyways.
I’ve been considering the mpp master cylinder brace, but am curious why you wouldn’t consider the mpp street pads as opposed to UPP

Have you used the brace? Did you notice a difference?
Yes, difference is immediate. It removes the free play that comes with the first 10%-15% of brake application.

You may be able to adjust the pedal itself to remove 10% or so by tightening that somehow. Both of these will greatly improve feel. After that sport pads help too.

Haven't tried graded lines yet but I doubt they make a difference on the street, only on the track.

I’ve been considering the mpp master cylinder brace, but am curious why you wouldn’t consider the mpp street pads as opposed to UPP
Get the master cylinder brace first. Deformation of the fire wall will happen whether the brakes are hot, warm, or cold. Removing that issues improves all situations where as pads improve some situations. I did both and am very happy with street feel although sport pads dust a good deal more.

I'm calling BS on this. I've had all German brands, and only Porsche has brakes ready for racetrack. And once you get advanced, you'll be cooking them too, unless it's one of the GT models.
On the street, termal capacity of the brake doesn't matter. As for stopping distance, critical determinant is the tire, not brake, unless you overheat them, again doesn't matter anywhere but the race track.

I have to agree with this (although perhaps my experience is skewed as I have MYP brakes) having had a multitude of BMWs including M cars and six figure Beemers, was always disappointed with the braking feel (pedal travel, lack of firmness and bite) and largely also (my perception) of performance of them with perhaps exception of the M3 which performed better than they felt.

Topic here about low bite pads. They are very very low bite made for the stated purpose - almost no maintenance for the life of car. It has nothing to do with tires - if tires don't lock up, brake feel is exactly the same. It also has nothing to do with pedal travel - pedal pressure for the brake torque is way too high for many of those who used to high bite stock cars. It's partially can be solved by pads. Unfortunately not completely, because brake booster is setup for low power. I hope that one day Tesla can release setting for brakes adjustment in track mode - amplification and bias.

Having done brakes in the past (both front discs and rear drum) when I was a poor young adult, now being much older, where should the brakes be worked on? Can any competent garage handle the brakes (not sure about whether they would screw up or break regen)? I understand the OP is doing his own work, but what about the rest of us? Do we have to go to Tesla Service Centers?

I found my SR+ had pretty good bite. I drove it in low regen for a few hundred miles and used the brakes. Kind of as a bedding-in exercise.

My LR AWD I picked up last month had no bite (2700miles, used). Did the same and ran it on low regen and drove it around for a few hundred miles. Could just be me imagining things, but the bite improved.

Having done brakes in the past (both front discs and rear drum) when I was a poor young adult, now being much older, where should the brakes be worked on? Can any competent garage handle the brakes (not sure about whether they would screw up or break regen)? I understand the OP is doing his own work, but what about the rest of us? Do we have to go to Tesla Service Centers?
No reason you can’t work on your own brakes if you’ve done disk brakes before, if you’re so inclined. If not, any mechanic can do it for you, as there’s nothing different or magical about the system compared to ICE cars.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Nothing special about the Tesla brakes you can do them yourself easily.