Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pads replacement for a SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys

As we know the brakes in the model 3 are not the best (too spongy) and we really do not use them much (regen), but I would like to have a more bite from the brake pads for a more safe feeling during emergency brake. I had already 2 scary situations were better brakes will be awesome.

Do anyone have recommendation to replace and improve the brake pads in the Standard Range Plus Model 3

Sorry, but you lost me at "spongy". Granted I try not to use the brakes much as regen is Excellent, but the TM3 brakes are accurate and responsive when I do use them.
Thanks for the reply
With Spongy is that I feel you need to apply to much travel/pressure into the brake pedal to start getting a good bite between the brake pads and the brake disc, I feel compare to another cars you need to much force/travel in the pedal to achieve the same brake response. (I understand also our car is a lot more heavy than other cars)

Again is not horrible nor bad braking experience, I just would like to get a better response and would like to take the opportunity now that I am getting close to need to change my brake pads.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
So I have a Lr awd and I’ve been dealing with the same concern. I installed the mpp master cylinder brace and it improved the brake feel. It feels a lot more linear and predictable but I’m still not happy with it. My next step is unplugged performance street and track pads and after that ss lines and better fluid. I’m also slowly getting my car track ready so I was going to do these things anyways.

I would like to have a more bite from the brake pads for a more safe feeling during emergency brake. I had already 2 scary situations were better brakes will be awesome.

If you want to stop shorter in an emergency you need to upgrade the tires not the brakes.

The tires are what actually stops the car.

Upgrading the brakes can certainly change the feel- often quite a bit- but they can't shorter the panic stop distance- only stickier tires can do that.

Reactions: Lagv1983 and cdswm3
It’s worth remembering that the Model 3 is 4000 pounds (1814 kg). I don’t think changing the pads would help that much. I suspect you would have to upgrade the brakes. Personally I think they work well.
Keep in mind the SR+ is significantly lighter than the AWD variants due to having 35% less batteries and one less motor. I believe the actual kerb weight is only 3550lbs.

The main reason the brake feel kind of sucks in the Model 3 is probably twofold. One brake pads are low friction pads designed for EV street use. Two, as Knightshade (crusader against BBKs) said, low friction tires are a big one for actual stopping distance. The SR+ usually comes with some very mediocre all season tires.

So to answer the OP changing either should help improve brake performance and possibly feel too. I'm currently on a mission to upgrade my SR+ brakes for track use (they are awful on the track). First up is upgrading the front brakes to the performance ones. Note that this won't help you much for one panic stop on the street. More relevant to that is my quest to find a better tire and brake pad compound. Note that doing so will reduce your range a bit if you're a person who obsesses over that. More friction means less efficiency.

Reactions: Lagv1983
Hello guys

As we know the brakes in the model 3 are not the best (too spongy) and we really do not use them much (regen), but I would like to have a more bite from the brake pads for a more safe feeling during emergency brake. I had already 2 scary situations were better brakes will be awesome.

Do anyone have recommendation to replace and improve the brake pads in the Standard Range Plus Model 3
Before you do anything else I suggest you look at MPP Master Brake Cylinder Brace. That removes the spongy feel. After that look at their street pads for a better feel. Although they do dust like BMW brakes.

As the others have said tires will be the main thing that make you stop in a shorter distance. Switching for the OEM all seasons to PS4s will shave around 30 ft off your 70-0 based on car and driver comparisons between the AWD and the P3D models.

Before you do anything else I suggest you look at MPP Master Brake Cylinder Brace. That removes the spongy feel. After that look at their street pads for a better feel. Although they do dust like BMW brakes.

As the others have said tires will be the main thing that make you stop in a shorter distance. Switching for the OEM all seasons to PS4s will shave around 30 ft off your 70-0 based on car and driver comparisons between the AWD and the P3D models.
Have you used the brace? Did you notice a difference?

Lots of good points here but in reality all of the things mentioned make a difference to braking performance from pad compound, rotor size, tire compound, braided brake lines, fluid, weight reduction, etc. Of course some of these have a greater impact than others. Back to the OP's concern about the spongy feel, braided lines and pads might have the greatest impact to the feel whereas tires may not have as much to do with pedal sponginess even though a huge impact in stopping distance reduction.

Reactions: Lagv1983
Most won't know how poor Tesla brakes are if they've never driven a performance german car in the same price range or even cheaper and many of those cars are all 4000lb+ too.
I'm calling BS on this. I've had all German brands, and only Porsche has brakes ready for racetrack. And once you get advanced, you'll be cooking them too, unless it's one of the GT models.
On the street, termal capacity of the brake doesn't matter. As for stopping distance, critical determinant is the tire, not brake, unless you overheat them, again doesn't matter anywhere but the race track.

• Love
Reactions: Knightshade
I always feel like threads like this become a misunderstanding I believe most people are fine with the stopping distance it’s just how the brakes feel while you’re stopping. This car stops pretty well (distance wise) compared to the average car but they definitely don’t inspire confidence. Now I understand why this is done it makes the brakes feel a lot smoother and when transitioning from regen to friction brakes it’s pretty seamless. It feels similar to our s class spongey feeling but stops well but I much prefer brakes with a strong initial bite they can be too grabby at times but with regen it’s not that big of a deal.

Most won't care either since unless you track the car it'll make no real difference, and most owners don't track their cars.
I'm calling BS on this. I've had all German brands, and only Porsche has brakes ready for racetrack. And once you get advanced, you'll be cooking them too, unless it's one of the GT models.
On the street, termal capacity of the brake doesn't matter. As for stopping distance, critical determinant is the tire, not brake, unless you overheat them, again doesn't matter anywhere but the race track.

I could've used better wording but I'm talking about the feel of the pedal as mentioned by the OP, not track use. The weight of my foot on the brakes of my previous C63 and even C300 would deliver confident stopping power which barely exists even with moderate pressure on the 3.