Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake regeneration - low to non existent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
🎶 have you lost that braking feeling 🎶

- Does your accelerator feel soft/dead when lifting your foot off.. way less aggressive braking than before
- Do you need to use the brake peddle more and more
- Has your average energy usage increased
- Have you raised concerns/lodged service request with Tesla and been told that your vehicle is normal..that they have check it remotely
- Are you led to believe that nothing has changed, but you know it has
- Are you starting to question your sanity.. you know what you had, and now it is gone.. but you can’t quantify it
- Has this change occurred without warning.. sometime around sept/oct this year
- Do you feel you have lost the one peddle feeling

If anything above, is anything you can relate to… I would love to hear from you…
I am starting to think I am losing my mind.. because my brakes under regen are nearly useless, have to use the brake peddle all the time.. never did before.. always in hold mode.. I feel I have lost my best friend.. the love of my life.. the reason for living.. 😄

Have a merry Christmas and a happy new year…

pedal_or_peddle.png

To find out the reason why you're feeling the way you do, you need to answer a few questions:
1. What car are you driving?
2. What state of charge is this happening at?
3. Are you driving down long slopes (more than 4 minutes continuous of downward slope?)
4. What's the ambient temperature?
5. Does the car show you reduced regen icon?
6. Do you have software version 2022.16 or higher that includes "Apply brakes when regen braking is limited" turned on?

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
pedal_or_peddle.png

Sorry spelling not my strong suit. The spell check I have used elsewhere sometimes confuses me. I mean Pedal

Can I correct my message spelling. Not sure how

To find out the reason why you're feeling the way you do, you need to answer a few questions:
1. What car are you driving? Model 3 standard range
2. What state of charge is this happening at? 350km or less
3. Are you driving down long slopes (more than 4 minutes continuous of downward slope?) all sorts of terrain ..up, down, flat, hard to say for how long but doubt any one direction for 4 minutes. just don’t have terrain that consistent, to drive up down ect, for that long. That’s an eternity..
4. What's the ambient temperature? Greater than 20deg centigrade
5. Does the car show you reduced regen icon? Only when temp about 13 deg centigrade
6. Do you have software version 2022.16 or higher that includes "Apply brakes when regen braking is limited" turned on? Yes
Ps I would be really interested in Aussie feedback.. coz Have been told it could be a regional issue only.. but will take comments from all ..

Sorry guys just learning to navigate .. my responses to questions in bold..

No worries. Since your account is fairly new with a low post count, sometimes the forum software sends posts that meet that criteria to moderators for approval. Your post was in a mod queue waiting for approval. Almost all the mods (including me) are volunteers, so we get to these when we can.

It loosens up after a member makes some more posts. Also, if you are looking for replies from people closer to you, there is a fairly active subforum for Australia here at TMC (its a large site):

Sorry guys just learning to navigate .. my responses to questions in bold..
From what you said, it doesn't sound like your regen would be limited, but your charge level could still limit regen (anywhere above 80% could still limit the amount of regen depending on ambient temp and if you're going down slopes). Also, do you see the dotted lines on the left side of the screen that indicates limited regen? There's a new icon as well with the latest software update when regen is severely limited, but sounds like you know about that already.

Best thing to do next is to take a video of your car slowing down to a stop on a flat road from a set speed and compare to what others get, see if the limited regen is in your imagination or if it's real. If you do take a video, you might want to toggle "engage brakes when regen limited" on and off and see if you get different results.

Also since you have a Standard Range, that means your car is at least 2020. In this generation you have the option to set Regen to Low or Normal, and that feature is still available on our cars, even after software updates.

So double check the setting is on Normal for that braking feeling you are missing.

I've had lots of different settings get turned off/on by different updates, Tesla doesn't do any regression testing that I can tell.

From what you said, it doesn't sound like your regen would be limited, but your charge level could still limit regen (anywhere above 80% could still limit the amount of regen depending on ambient temp and if you're going down slopes). Also, do you see the dotted lines on the left side of the screen that indicates limited regen? There's a new icon as well with the latest software update when regen is severely limited, but sounds like you know about that already.

Best thing to do next is to take a video of your car slowing down to a stop on a flat road from a set speed and compare to what others get, see if the limited regen is in your imagination or if it's real. If you do take a video, you might want to toggle "engage brakes when regen limited" on and off and see if you get different results.I

Best thing to do next is to take a video of your car slowing down to a stop on a flat road from a set speed and compare to what others get, see if the limited regen is in your imagination or if it's real. If you do take a video, you might want to toggle "engage brakes when regen limited" on and off and see if you get different results.
The video idea sounds really really good.
Our vehicle has LFP batteries (understand Asia got them before US it was big thing when we picked up the vehicle) and we were advised it was recommended to have a 100% charge at least once a week whereas I understand 80% was preferred, so not sure about the 80% but will keep an eye on it as I maybe expecting too much at the higher charge level.

Thank this is much appreciate.

Also since you have a Standard Range, that means your car is at least 2020. In this generation you have the option to set Regen to Low or Normal, and that feature is still available on our cars, even after software updates.

So double check the setting is on Normal for that braking feeling you are missing.

I've had lots of different settings get turned off/on by different updates, Tesla doesn't do any regression testing that I can tell.
Ahh I wish I had a choice in settings but our generation vehicle does not have it. We only have one setting the highest level of regen.. the one and only.. I am not sure but maybe Tesla is switching between the two modes to placate its customer base and I now have the low setting. And that is that. If so I really really want the high setting back.

Our vehicle has LFP batteries (understand Asia got them before US it was big thing when we picked up the vehicle) and we were advised it was recommended to have a 100% charge at least once a week whereas I understand 80% was preferred, so not sure about the 80% but will keep an eye on it as I maybe expecting too much at the higher charge level.

Sorry! I need to clarify my previous comment. in OZ the the 80% was preferred charge level before the LFP batteries arrived.. then they recommended 100% “ at least once a week. I thought this pretty good, coz I did not need to worry about when it was best to use 100% or when not too 😄

Ah ok, I have the NCA battery so I'm afraid I can't directly compare my car to yours since the weight is different. From experience, my car will only have max regen for maybe 20 seconds going down a slope if battery level is 80%+. But after cooling down for a minute it'd go right back to max regen again quite quickly. At 60% battery charge and warm weather, it can max regen basically all the time without reducing.

I'm assuming you've seen the dots when max regen is not available? Also of note is that you'll only see the regen bar go green all the way towards the left at higher speeds (like 60kph or so, not 100% sure on that), since that's when the car has enough kinetic energy available.

img_0349.jpg

Mmmm I know about the dots. As I drive early morning in winter, and this I have learnt when regen is being limited by temperature. Our mornings in winter are cold but this winter it warmed up nicely by lunchtime, so I get to see the impact of temp on the same day.

But you really have me interested in the full regen, at higher speeds. Or rather at different speeds. To be honest I have not really seen full green bar, and I have not really concentrated/documented on impact at different speeds.

On reflection, I seem to have had no physical change in the vehicle at different speeds and terrain, I can lift my foot immediately off the accelerator at any speed, hill or no hill and the car simply coasts, slowing down very very slowly. The green bar moves back and forwards, but from memory, at best only 3/4 the way across.

Maybe I have regen (green line), but with little real brake effect. Nah! I think that sounds crazy. I have to plan some tests and go out and record the results sort of baseline the vehicles current performance.

I will now look at the green line at different speeds and see what happens there, and video it, so I can look at it later😄

Thank you very very much, you have made me think differently, and maybe work out a way to baseline what the vehicle is doing.

Reactions: XPsionic
pedal_or_peddle.png

1. What car are you driving?
2. What state of charge is this happening at?
3. Are you driving down long slopes (more than 4 minutes continuous of downward slope?)
4. What's the ambient temperature?
5. Does the car show you reduced regen icon?
6. Do you have software version 2022.16 or higher that includes "Apply brakes when regen braking is limited" turned on?
1. Model 3 LR late 2021 China
2. 50-90 %
3. Yes, but not every time the regen failure uccur.
4. -2 - -15 C
5. Yes
6. Yes
3 or 4 times this winter I have experienced total loss of regenerative braking after the car had been parked at moderately low temperatures for several hours. No verbal warning is displayed except the low regenerative symbol (which should be red or orange, not green!)
When I lift off the accelerator, no braking, mechanical or regenerative, is applied, I have to use the brake pedal.
I have been able to restore regenerative braking by rebooting the car, or by navigating to a nearby supercharger, which starts the battery heater.
Last winter, some regenerative braking was available, even at much lower temperatures.