Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake release for service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to my nearest Tesla SC being >2 hours away, I took my 2021 MYLR to my local Goodyear and asked them to do a tire rotation and caliper cleaning. They did the rotation but told me they couldn't figure out how to release the brakes while the car is on the lift so they couldn't work on the calipers. This sounds like just the kind of thing the touchscreen would have a command for. Does anyone know how this is normally handled?

I guess as a side question, does anyone have a preferred chain outside of Tesla for this kind of thing? We had Discount Tire do our new tires and we would certainly have them do rotations, but their website is really emphatic that they don't do brakes. In response to the inevitable reply telling me to do it myself, I'm glad for you that you can take care of it yourself and not have to worry about it, but it just isn't something I'm comfortable doing.

To disengage the parking brake, you need to activate transport mode so the wheels can free-spin:
Also, temporarily disconnect the parking brake connections to the rear calipers so they don't re-engage during service. A full walk-through of the break service can be found in this Rich Rebuilds video:

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TomB985 and JonB65
Upvote 0
I had to learn this the hard way when I was installing my winter tires. The wheel weights on my 18” wheels wouldn’t clear the calipers up front, so I had to spin the wheels to check for clearance when I got it sorted out. Enabling tow mode worked perfectly.

Service —> Towing —> Transport Mode.

Upvote 0