TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Brake squeal?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Darthbenji, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

So I’ve had the car since Thursday and have noticed the front driver side has a squeal at low speeds and it seems while turning. It doesn’t seem to be dependant on brake application but it has been there while braking. Basically it’s variable. It’s not loud or anything and can only be heard with the window down. Anyone else? Do I just call a service centre to get it checked?

• Like x 1
  2. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Take it to SC. Dont call . Too new.

3. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

#3 Darthbenji, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    I’ve got it narrowed down to low speed left turns. With or without the brake applied.

For the SC I don’t need an appt?

4. kwazi7

kwazi7 Member

Just a thought, but I've heard people say that it's the aero wheels, the hubcap thing.

5. m4eyyz

m4eyyz Member

same thing started happening yesterday to me..

Someone on Reddit mentioned that they had the issue - and the the Service team knew exactly what it was.
    Apparently wrong clips or something were installed on a batch of cars brakes. He said he was going in for a 30 minute maintenance for them to replace them.

So I stopped by Lawrence this morning to ask about it - and set up an appointment.... and the advisor knew exactly what that the problem is. He said it was the shims. They will replace them. Made an appointment for Friday morning. He didn't know how long it would take but I can get it back same day. And they'll get me a loaner.
    My VIN is 289xx

6. kellogg76

kellogg76 Member

This is worrying for me, i'm 1000km from the nearest service centre, and my car (when it finally arrives from Montreal) has a very similar VIN to yours. Can I expect Tesla to send a roaming tech to NS to fix these gripes or do I have to put up with potentially squeaky brakes.

7. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

My vin is 27xxx

Tesla emailed me saying to turn off regen for a few days to make sure the rotors get a good scrub.

If it’s the shim or clip I assume it’s not a safety issue and I can go at my leisure?

• Like x 1
  8. Ray_D

Ray_D New Member

Wow, so glad I just saw this. Same issue here! Started hearing a squeal at low speeds.
    For me, it happens only when I don't turn. Also started hearing it sometimes when I do apply the brakes. Again, only started noticing it when the windows were rolled down.

9. jjtsl

jjtsl Member

I also noticed this for my car when I finally rolled down the window to drive a few days after taking delivery lol. I called the Lawrence Service Centre unsuccessfully a few times and finally made an appointment to get this looked at next Monday. I'll report back after the appointment. My VIN# is 29xxx

10. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Poke the Montreal crew to check this. It saves everyone time and money.

11. oakvillemike

oakvillemike Member

Getting this taken care of today, along with other delivery issues. They provided a BMW X3 as a loaner, as there was a Model S recall that's completely packed all of their service folks and taken all of their loaner cars as a result. First time I've ever missed a car.

12. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

I have 291xx VIN. Going to add this to the list, thank you!

13. m4eyyz

m4eyyz Member

Back from Lawrence. Took it in this morning at 8am. And was back on the road shortly after 9am.

"Corrections: Brake Pads - Rear - Set" (Don't know if they replaced them or just did something to them).
    "Replaced rear brake shims"

All better.

14. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

What is your VIN range M4eyyz?

15. m4eyyz

m4eyyz Member

289xx

16. jjtsl

jjtsl Member

Glad to hear that it doesn't seem to be a big issue. Can't wait for my appointment to get this fixed as I feel like I'm getting stares on the road for the wrong reasons lol.

17. BurlMdl3

BurlMdl3 Member

i had same squeak issue - fixed within 30 minutes in Oakville last friday afternoon. Vin 21xxx

18. jjtsl

jjtsl Member

So I got mine fixed yesterday. It took them 1.5 hrs at the Lawrence location because they were quite busy. During that time, I saw another 2 to 3 Model 3's arriving with the same problem as they were squealing coming into the service area lol.

19. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Had mine sorted yesterday as well as an ac issue at the Mississauga location. Brake clip was contacting the rotor. I was given a model S as a loaner. I was thrilled to get my 3 back:). Service was terrific.

20. Mobsidian

Mobsidian Member

I dont have a squealing but I do have grinding sounds when braking at low speeds. Could it be related? I have a 283XX VIN and produced 05/18 according to door sticker. It doesn't sound bad but I've never heard my brakes working on previous cars. I've booked an appointment for next Monday at Lawrence. Had to go in store to do it because they dont pick up or respond to email on time. Also have a complaint for excessive wind noise when driving. I feel like theres an issue with window and/or windshield insulation. They said they'll need to keep it for a day and will provide a gas loaner. For body work stuff they're sending people to Excellence Auto in Scarborough to deal with directly, body shop would do the billing and provide loaners.