Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake squeal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve had the car since Thursday and have noticed the front driver side has a squeal at low speeds and it seems while turning. It doesn’t seem to be dependant on brake application but it has been there while braking. Basically it’s variable. It’s not loud or anything and can only be heard with the window down. Anyone else? Do I just call a service centre to get it checked?

Reactions: Nathanael
same thing started happening yesterday to me..

Someone on Reddit mentioned that they had the issue - and the the Service team knew exactly what it was.
Apparently wrong clips or something were installed on a batch of cars brakes. He said he was going in for a 30 minute maintenance for them to replace them.

So I stopped by Lawrence this morning to ask about it - and set up an appointment.... and the advisor knew exactly what that the problem is. He said it was the shims. They will replace them. Made an appointment for Friday morning. He didn't know how long it would take but I can get it back same day. And they'll get me a loaner.
My VIN is 289xx

same thing started happening yesterday to me..

Someone on Reddit mentioned that they had the issue - and the the Service team knew exactly what it was.
Apparently wrong clips or something were installed on a batch of cars brakes. He said he was going in for a 30 minute maintenance for them to replace them.

So I stopped by Lawrence this morning to ask about it - and set up an appointment.... and the advisor knew exactly what that the problem is. He said it was the shims. They will replace them. Made an appointment for Friday morning. He didn't know how long it would take but I can get it back same day. And they'll get me a loaner.
My VIN is 289xx
This is worrying for me, i'm 1000km from the nearest service centre, and my car (when it finally arrives from Montreal) has a very similar VIN to yours. Can I expect Tesla to send a roaming tech to NS to fix these gripes or do I have to put up with potentially squeaky brakes.

Wow, so glad I just saw this. Same issue here! Started hearing a squeal at low speeds.
For me, it happens only when I don't turn. Also started hearing it sometimes when I do apply the brakes. Again, only started noticing it when the windows were rolled down.

I also noticed this for my car when I finally rolled down the window to drive a few days after taking delivery lol. I called the Lawrence Service Centre unsuccessfully a few times and finally made an appointment to get this looked at next Monday. I'll report back after the appointment. My VIN# is 29xxx

This is worrying for me, i'm 1000km from the nearest service centre, and my car (when it finally arrives from Montreal) has a very similar VIN to yours. Can I expect Tesla to send a roaming tech to NS to fix these gripes or do I have to put up with potentially squeaky brakes.
Poke the Montreal crew to check this. It saves everyone time and money.

I also noticed this for my car when I finally rolled down the window to drive a few days after taking delivery lol. I called the Lawrence Service Centre unsuccessfully a few times and finally made an appointment to get this looked at next Monday. I'll report back after the appointment. My VIN# is 29xxx

I have 291xx VIN. Going to add this to the list, thank you!

Back from Lawrence. Took it in this morning at 8am. And was back on the road shortly after 9am.

"Corrections: Brake Pads - Rear - Set" (Don't know if they replaced them or just did something to them).
"Replaced rear brake shims"

All better.

Back from Lawrence. Took it in this morning at 8am. And was back on the road shortly after 9am.

"Corrections: Brake Pads - Rear - Set" (Don't know if they replaced them or just did something to them).
"Replaced rear brake shims"

All better.

Glad to hear that it doesn't seem to be a big issue. Can't wait for my appointment to get this fixed as I feel like I'm getting stares on the road for the wrong reasons lol.

So I got mine fixed yesterday. It took them 1.5 hrs at the Lawrence location because they were quite busy. During that time, I saw another 2 to 3 Model 3's arriving with the same problem as they were squealing coming into the service area lol.

I dont have a squealing but I do have grinding sounds when braking at low speeds. Could it be related? I have a 283XX VIN and produced 05/18 according to door sticker. It doesn't sound bad but I've never heard my brakes working on previous cars. I've booked an appointment for next Monday at Lawrence. Had to go in store to do it because they dont pick up or respond to email on time. Also have a complaint for excessive wind noise when driving. I feel like theres an issue with window and/or windshield insulation. They said they'll need to keep it for a day and will provide a gas loaner. For body work stuff they're sending people to Excellence Auto in Scarborough to deal with directly, body shop would do the billing and provide loaners.