Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Braking distance concern by Consumer Reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah.... probably pads get glazed because of heat first time around during that brutal braking.... probably not very good pads... easy fix... they could optimize the max pressure you can apply on the pads so you can't glaze them and still have a decent stopping distance, so the guys from CR can't complain.

This does not seem like a good fix. If the brake pads are worn out after one hard stop then Tesla needs to use better brake pads. And they should apply that retroactively to all Model 3s on the road through a TSB.

I agree 20 or 30 feet could make a difference, but if a driver hits the car in front, that driver was travelling too close! When the driver reaction variation could be 66ft to 250 ft. That's where the focus should be. If all driver's were focused on the job at hand and 66 ft reaction was possible the 20 to 30 extra feet would be far more meaningful.

You nailed it! I'm 71, old-school, and was taught to keep my eyes on the road and keep one car's length of distance between me and the car in front of me per 10 mph of speed. I'll probably continue this strategy until I have full-blown Alzheimer's and need the car to autonomously delivery me to my head shrink!

That said, Tesla bashing, crappy testing techniques and sensational claims will continue. Meanwhile, people line up to buy Teslas and will wait years to get one!

I guess we should get rid of abs, disc brakes, airbags, etc. because if you get in an accident it's really your own fault. How is this thread becoming a debate about how good brakes really need to be? I think brakes that stop the car faster are better. There is no reason to have substandard brakes. If Tesla truly chose to put a substandard braking system on the Model 3 then how do you explain why they are so large that they require 18" wheels?
Agreed! :) I would like to see why the first test gets 130 ft or so, and the subsequent tests are worse.

What annoys me most about braking distance numbers is they leave out the decision and reaction time of the driver. Monash University in Australia have shown that a typical driver will need 1.5 seconds to make a decision and get their foot on the brake. 60 mph = 88 feet per second, thus it takes a driver 132 feet before they touch the brake. If the driver is alert and concentrating, this distance can be halved, If the driver is distracted then it can be doubled! When the biggest determinant of overall braking distance is down to the driver, hand-wringing over 20 or 30 feet seems trivial.

Sorry, 20 ft has been the difference between an accident and no accident at least 10 times in my last 40 yrs of driving. I disagree with it being anything like trivial. I would say crucial is a more appropriate word to describe 20 ft of braking distance.

• Informative
Reactions: m34me
You nailed it! I'm 71, old-school, and was taught to keep my eyes on the road and keep one car's length of distance between me and the car in front of me per 10 mph of speed. I'll probably continue this strategy until I have full-blown Alzheimer's and need the car to autonomously delivery me to my head shrink!

That said, Tesla bashing, crappy testing techniques and sensational claims will continue. Meanwhile, people line up to buy Teslas and will wait years to get one!
Hi Sharkbait. You should check on those following distance requirements! Three seconds is the recommended following distance by global best practices. Depending on which state you live in, over 55's can get a 15% (mandated) insurance discount if they take a driver improvement course. It takes a few hours to complete, but does bring you up to date on current requirements.

Sorry, 20 ft has been the difference between an accident and no accident at least 10 times in my last 40 yrs of driving. I disagree with it being anything like trivial. I would say crucial is a more appropriate word to describe 20 ft of braking distance.
Even ignoring reaction time, shaving 4+mph or so off of your speed should be enough to offset a 20' increase in 60-0 braking if you're concerned about it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Nevertheless, those 20 ft misses were more likely down to your reaction time than the actual braking distance, if the speed was less than 60 mph. At 60 mph a 1/3 of a second extra time to react would have used up nearly 30 ft. Whats more, this issue is of increasing importance as braking distances reduce with technical improvements, and human reaction time does not. If that 20 ft is of that much importance, then buy the vehicle with the shortest 60-0 braking distance. :)

I'm not concerned about it. I was simply stating 20 ft is significant. Not trivial. Do you think 20 ft is trivial?
It's trivial with adjustments to behavior, which in this case could be reaction time and/or cruising speed.

Course, without adjusting behavior, it goes from trivial to "Oh s***!", but that's the price to be paid for a need, a need for speed. ;)

It's trivial with adjustments to behavior, which in this case could be reaction time and/or cruising speed.

Course, without adjusting behavior, it goes from trivial to "Oh s***!", but that's the price to be paid for a need, a need for speed. ;)

Well I respectfully disagree. This is black and white. 20 ft is not trivial when talking about braking distance.

It looks like it is software limited. I’d be curious to know why Tesla does this. This is not rocket science. CR has loads of experience doing this testing and their reputation is on the line here. If they are putting out false reports then Tesla should be sending a rebuttal shortly. The fact that Tesla chose to respond the way they did says a lot. I think Tesla owes the public and current owners a valid response. When early adopters like all of us buy a car without even driving it first we expect it to be reasonably safe. Inconsistent braking is not safe.

I agree, CR used to be fairly reputable, but lately they seem to have fallen victim to universal desire for clicks. Every few months they post some extremely negative or positive statement about Tesla, because.... Tesla news gets lots of clicks (Think: every accident, fire, etc.) I don't think their report is false, but I do think it's sensationalized to to maximize attention (clicks). Since their results are so different from the manufacturer's results, it would have been a good idea to compare several cars or wheel/tire combinations to see if their results were repeatable, rather than pumping social media.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Response from Elon

Twitter

Twitter

Specifically here is what Elon said

Replying to @ElectrekCo and @FredericLambert
Very strange. Model 3 is designed to have super good stopping distance & others reviewers have confirmed this. If there is vehicle variability, we will figure it out & address. May just be a question of firmware tuning, in which case can be solved by an OTA software update.

Replying to @elonmusk @ElectrekCo and @FredericLambert
Even if a physical upgrade is needed to existing fleet, we will make sure all Model 3’s having amazing braking ability at no expense to customers
9:33 PM · May 21, 2018

Hi Sharkbait. You should check on those following distance requirements! Three seconds is the recommended following distance by global best practices. Depending on which state you live in, over 55's can get a 15% (mandated) insurance discount if they take a driver improvement course. It takes a few hours to complete, but does bring you up to date on current requirements.

Rule of thumb with many, many variables. Important for me and others is to watch the road in front of the person you're behind. Once in my 50+ years of driving, I watched a guy in front me plow right into the car in front of him. I saw it coming, he didn't react and I did. Insurance? I'm not doing too badly, at least for California @ $1600/year. I expect the 100D will make it a bit more expensive. If every car in California maintained 300' of distance between cars, we would need to get rid of quite a few million vehicles.