Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New CHAdeMO Adapters Are still Available from Tesla--How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
As you may know, Tesla cars sold in (South) Korea use the same charging-port as in Japan and North America. A number of us on TMC have started ordering the Tesla-Korea DC-power CCS1 charging adapter using various Korean shopping services, for example Harumio. I just learned from Harumio staff by TMC message that they plan to also list other Tesla-Korea adapters and chargers. That includes the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, which as far as I know will fully work for North American Tesla cars. (The only thing that limits universal use of a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter for any eligible model-year anywhere in the world is apparently the plug it comes fitted with--either Type 2 for Europe , Oceania, and Taiwan (and other locations) or TPC (Tesla proprietary) for North America, Japan, and Korea. See photos and further information here.)

So be aware that if for some reason you still need or want a CHAdeMO adapter, there remains a source for new ones directly from Tesla (in Korea).

The CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla-Korea is ₩445,000 (=$351.45[US]); even with added shipping and handling less expensive than inflated eBay prices. And you'd be getting it brand new, from Tesla (in Korea). Or perhaps after further consideration you'd prefer the more powerful CCS1 adapter?

Regardless, if any of this interests you, and you have more questions, check with Harumio on TMC or via their website. (Their website now displays the CHAdeMO adapter in addition to the CCS1 adapter that started the whole thing of using Harumio.) There are a growing number of posts on TMC about the Tesla-Korea adapter shopping experience (use the "Search" function here at TMC). I have not heard of any problems so far.

PS -- I am not associated with or benefiting in any way from Harumio. I have ordered a Tesla CCS1 adapter from them, and so far am finding the process professional and convenient.

Last edited:
Some (many?) Electrify America stations had CHAdeMO cables (in addition to standard CCS1), but I think RA is phasing those out starting this year (2022).

You can use the PlugShare map to see where there are CHAdeMO stations. Call up the map, then filter out all charge-types except CHAdeMO. I find that you have to reduce the scale (zoom in) for all the various CHAdeMO locations to become visible.

For example, near me (Sacramento, California area) are EVgo stations with CHAdeMO cables. Plus there are apparently individual CHAdeMO charge locations scattered around (e.g., Nissan dealers, 7-Elevens, Walmarts, travel inns and lodges, various businesses, etc.).

With Nissan switching to CCS1 on their cars, the future of conventional CHAdeMO in North America does not look bright. However, there is apparently new CHAdeMO/GM-T charging equipment ("ChaoJi" developed jointly by China & Japan). Time will tell if that takes off in Asia and other world areas. And in outlying areas where distances between Superchargers and CCS1 stations are great, CHAdeMO may continue to add extra DC charging opportunities.

Last edited:
We just had 8 new stations put in about 2 miles from here. CCS and Chad. No a Tesla port to be found. Its a local company with just a small foot print in the Los Angeles metro area. I have EVGo around.. and a few others. Quite a few Chad actually. The EVgo Chad will probably stay for a while. They T'ed the Chad for Tesla and the car thinks it's a Chad adapter charging the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
The more options the better. I do have an official Chad Tesla adapter however if Harumio sells one for a reasonable price I will opt for another one so each car has one on board. I was also very pleased with their service when I ordered my CCS1 adapter and will not hesitate to deal with them in the future.

Reactions: SteelClouds
As you may know, Tesla cars sold in (South) Korea use the same charging-port as in Japan and North America. A number of us on TMC have started ordering the Tesla-Korea DC-power CCS1 charging adapter using various Korean shopping services, for example Harumio. I just learned from Harumio staff by TMC message that they plan to also list other Tesla-Korea adapters and chargers. That includes the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, which as far as I know will fully work for North American Tesla cars. (The only thing that limits universal use of a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter for any eligible model-year anywhere in the world is apparently the plug it comes fitted with--either Type 2 for Europe , Oceania, and Taiwan (and other locations) or TPC (Tesla proprietary) for North America, Japan, and Korea. See photos and further information here.)

So be aware that if for some reason you still need or want a CHAdeMO adapter, there remains a source for new ones directly from Tesla (in Korea).

The CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla-Korea is ₩445,000 (=$351.45[US]); even with added shipping and handling less expensive than inflated eBay prices. And you'd be getting it brand new, from Tesla (in Korea). Or perhaps after further consideration you'd prefer the more powerful CCS1 adapter?

Regardless, if any of this interests you, and you have more questions, check with Harumio on TMC or via their website. (Their website now displays the CHAdeMO adapter in addition to the CCS1 adapter that started the whole thing of using Harumio.) There are a growing number of posts on TMC about the Tesla-Korea adapter shopping experience (use the "Search" function here at TMC). I have not heard of any problems so far.

PS -- I am not associated with or benefiting in any way from Harumio. I have ordered a Tesla CCS1 adapter from them, and so far am finding the process professional and convenient.
Out of curiosity what was the cost of the CCS1 adapter from Harumio?
thx

thx

The total for me was ~$318. That was with adapter+speedy shipping (by air)+any fee(s). Not cheap, but way better than over-inflated online auction prices.

We were thinking the actual North American price will eventually be, what?--maybe $150-$250 from Tesla? Then there will be a cost for retrofitting cars that need it. See Tesla webpages for European countries (e.g., United Kingdom, where price for adapter+retrofit is currently £199) to see the way Tesla does things there for CCS2 adapters and retrofits of older cars.

Last edited:
thx
Being you are in Canada it will cost $318 US plus duties and taxes. There was an additional charge of $70 CDN on mine from DHL. Your province may vary.

Rumored price is $250 US however that is just by converting the Korean price. I have a feeling they will get us for around $350+ US when it arrives here.

• Informative
I have been writing to Harumio and trying to get the invoice to pay. @Midnightsun, did you receive your CCS adapter yet?
Took only 6 days from placing my order to receiving it in hand. Most have taken 7-10 days though. Ordered a second one for the other Tesla and just received confirmation from tesla it was purchased through my account or at least I think that is what it says because it is in Korean. :oops:

Some (many?) Electrify America stations had CHAdeMO cables (in addition to standard CCS1), but I think RA is phasing those out starting this year (2022).

You can use the PlugShare map to see where there are CHAdeMO stations. Call up the map, then filter out all charge-types except CHAdeMO. I find that you have to reduce the scale (zoom in) for all the various CHAdeMO locations to become visible.

For example, near me (Sacramento, California area) are EVgo stations with CHAdeMO cables. Plus there are apparently individual CHAdeMO charge locations scattered around (e.g., Nissan dealers, 7-Elevens, Walmarts, travel inns and lodges, various businesses, etc.).

With Nissan switching to CCS1 on their cars, the future of conventional CHAdeMO in North America does not look bright. However, there is apparently new CHAdeMO/GM-T charging equipment ("ChaoJi" developed jointly by China & Japan). Time will tell if that takes off in Asia and other world areas. And in outlying areas where distances between Superchargers and CCS1 stations are great, CHAdeMO may continue to add extra DC charging opportunities.
ALL Electrify America locations installed before 2022 have 1 CHAdeMO (and several CCS handles, usually 5 to 7 CCS1 vs 1 CHAdeMO with the worst I know of being 27:1) but apparently outside of California, new ones won't: Electrify America Will Begin to phase out CHAdeMO In 2022. I don't know who RA is.

All other major non-Tesla DC FC providers have a more even distribution of CHAdeMO vs. CCS1. Some of the old Blink sites are CHAdeMO only. I pointed to some at Unusal DC plug. After all, Blink had those in the ground before a single CCS1 car shipped in the US. Many Nissan dealers that had CHAdeMO only have been getting their DC FCs replaced by a CHAdeMO + CCS charger.

As for the bolded part, that's true of upcoming Ariya for the US but I still haven't heard any such thing for Leaf. 2023 Leaf is still CHAdeMO, as far as we can tell. It's possible Leaf could go away in the US or they could change it later.

ALL Electrify America locations installed before 2022 have 1 CHAdeMO (and several CCS handles, usually 5 to 7 CCS1 vs 1 CHAdeMO with the worst I know of being 27:1) but apparently outside of California, new ones won't: Electrify America Will Begin to phase out CHAdeMO In 2022. I don't know who RA is.

All other major non-Tesla DC FC providers have a more even distribution of CHAdeMO vs. CCS1. Some of the old Blink sites are CHAdeMO only. I pointed to some at Unusal DC plug. After all, Blink had those in the ground before a single CCS1 car shipped in the US. Many Nissan dealers that had CHAdeMO only have been getting their DC FCs replaced by a CHAdeMO + CCS charger.

As for the bolded part, that's true of upcoming Ariya for the US but I still haven't heard any such thing for Leaf. 2023 Leaf is still CHAdeMO, as far as we can tell. It's possible Leaf could go away in the US or they could change it later.

The eChargeNetwork and Flo in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island seem to be 1 CCS + 1 CHAdeMO + 1 J1772.
I'd appreciate if Tesla owners could stick to Superchargers or CHAdeMO in the middle of July. Just sayin'. :p

For EVgo... Chad and Tesla are one in the same. They Y off the Chad port with a Tesla plug and the car charges thinking it's plugged into Chad.
EVgo sites generally have a 1:1 or close to 1:1 ratio of SAE Combo vs. CHAdeMO handles. At some EVgo sites (Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging), they have CHAdeMO to Tesla adapters w/a longer cord bolted to the side.

I put up a video of such a setup at EVgo reportedly adding Tesla plugs to their DC fast chargers. Whole Foods Market | PlugShare is another example. I've been there but that's not where I took the video.

Took only 6 days from placing my order to receiving it in hand. Most have taken 7-10 days though. Ordered a second one for the other Tesla and just received confirmation from tesla it was purchased through my account or at least I think that is what it says because it is in Korean. :oops:
Six days! To Quebec even. Impressive. Is that six days from harumio issuing tracking number ?

So far after using both the Tesla Chad adapter and the SETEC CCS adapter, I'm hard pressed to recommend the SETEC. I have found enough Chad stations available to suit my needs and there is virtually no speed difference between the two on the chargers I've tried ( EVgo, EA and EVOLV). Roughly 40 kw for each. The SETEC throws an warning about arc flash danger but works. The Chad adapter just works. No mess.. no fuss. If I had to charge every day on the road I might feel differently but these are convenience devices since I normally charge at home.

• Informative