Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVgo reportedly adding Tesla plugs to their DC fast chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @cwerdna . Do you know if these show on plugshare if I set the filter to "Supercharger" ?
Doesn't seem like it. Seems like the way to see them is to select the Tesla plug and then turn off all networks except for EVgo. The goofy part is that they'll show up with green markers (like level 2 stations) instead of orange (normally for DC (usually fast/semi-fast) chargers).

Thanks @cwerdna . Do you know if these show on plugshare if I set the filter to "Supercharger" ?
The authoritative way to find these chargers is to use the EVgo app and turn on the "+Tesla" filter.

EVgo Tesla Filter.jpg
EVgo Tesla Map.jpg

I just came upon an EVgo station that had added 2 Tesla Supercharger ports since the last time (a few years ago) that I saw the station. It isn't marked as having Tesla on Plugshare.
Its great to see support for Tesla Supercharger standard growing.
Unfortunately, however, this one is only 4 miles from a Tesla Supercharger station so it isn't clear who is going to be using it at $4.94 + $0.20/minute.
If it was on a major highway, away from a Tesla Supercharger station, more convenient, or had better restaurants, it would make more sense. Not really the case here though.
I'm concerned the EVgo won't see much use and regret support Tesla Superchargers when its the location that is wrong.

Reactions: bruce4000
I'm concerned the EVgo won't see much use and regret support Tesla Superchargers when its the location that is wrong.
I suspect that EVgo will evaluate the success of the project to add Tesla plugs overall rather than focus too much on station-specific stats (although they'd be incompetent to not at least look at station-specific stats). I'm hoping this will lead to better integration, with direct Tesla support and faster speeds, rather than use of a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, in the future. Time will tell on that, though. I've heard nothing -- not even rumors -- about how much usage these new plugs are getting to date. Also and FWIW, the last I checked, none of the EVgo stations in my area (Rhode Island) had Tesla plugs; the nearest was in the New York City area.

Reactions: JeremyWhaling
EVgo will evaluate the success of the project to add Tesla plugs overall rather than focus too much on station-specific stats
I agree that this is probably what they will do. However, that is what concerns me as location is what matters. If you put charging stations out behind the garbage dump, you won't get as much success as if you put them where folks go and will want to go -- especially if you must charge high prices in order to keep your business going.
I heard tales of how Elon Musk would FaceTime with the Supercharger scouts before he would approve of an early Supercharger station. He would be looking at a map and have the scout video as he drove from the Interstate to the site from different directions and then drive around the site location to be sure there were suitable amenities that weren't creepy.
the last I checked, none of the EVgo stations in my area (Rhode Island) had Tesla plugs
This is why I'm concerned. If poorly chosen sites in other places don't pay off, EVgo's stupid beancounters may conclude that it isn't worth putting in Tesla connectors and stop rolling them out to sites where they may be worthwhile.
There's no way they can compete with a Tesla Supercharger on price. They must find and fill some need that Tesla is not fulfilling (over-crowded stations, unserved or more convenient locations, more convenient or better amenities nearby, etc).

I'm not sure EVgo can tell how much the Tesla adapters are being used. Maybe they would think that any CHAdeMO usage that has sustained charging rate higher than what Leaf can do would have to be a Tesla? My RAV4 EV can charge fast on CHAdeMO for longer than a Leaf too. So, both my cars (RAV4 and Model 3) on my EVgo account can take the 125A max for a solid 30 minutes.

There (sadly) aren't enough RAV4EVs to tip the needle, however, if they see an uptick in usage that begins when they put on the Tesla adapter, they can get a good idea that they're tapping into the huge Tesla market.
I agree that time can be an indicator of the vehicle type if they dig that deeply.
No advertising in Plugshare isn't going to help either.

I'm not sure EVgo can tell how much the Tesla adapters are being used. Maybe they would think that any CHAdeMO usage that has sustained charging rate higher than what Leaf can do would have to be a Tesla? My RAV4 EV can charge fast on CHAdeMO for longer than a Leaf too. So, both my cars (RAV4 and Model 3) on my EVgo account can take the 125A max for a solid 30 minutes.
EVgo accounts do contain information on what car(s) a driver has -- at least, there's a database field for this information. It's been long enough since I set up my account that I don't recall if they'll let you create one with this information missing. It's also possible that the information could be wrong -- say, if an EV driver has traded in one car for another but not updated the EVgo account. Those caveats aside, if EVgo sees an account that's listed as being associated with a Tesla (and no CHAdeMO-using EV) charging at a station with a Tesla plug via the CHAdeMO port, then it's very likely that the charge is via the Tesla plug. Even if the data isn't 100% clear in all cases (like if an account has both a Tesla and a Nissan Leaf associated with it, or if it's nonsensical because it's out of date, like an account with a Chevy Bolt listed, but the owner has traded that in for a Tesla and is therefore charging using CHAdeMO), the data will provide them with some idea of how much those Tesla plugs are being used.

In theory, they might have other ways of knowing, too; for instance, there might be sensors to indicate when the plugs are removed; or if the charge station can distinguish between a real CHAdeMO car and Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter in some way, then they'd know when their own Tesla plug/adapter was being used. I don't know if anything like this is possible, though.

EVgo seems to be adding these onto plugshare under the Tesla Destination charger category. So to find them on plugshare, select the "Tesla" plug. Toggle off all the charging networks, and just turn EVgo back on.

Slightly easier way to show the sites on PlugShare: Select the Tesla plug. Then set the Minimum Power slider to 50 kW.

PlugShare should really show these sites with orange pins, rather than a green ones.

PlugShare should really show these sites with orange pins, rather than a green ones.
A distinction in color between relatively low-power (say, under 100kW) and higher-power (over 100kW) DC fast charging stations might be helpful. Letting the user set the cutoff makes sense, too.

There is an app called ChargeWay that does something like this. I don't think it lets users set a cutoff, but it does use a color-and-number coding system to signify plug types and charge speed. I've not used it much myself, and I've not studied its listings to see how the Tesla-equipped EVgo stations are listed, but the app looks interesting.

Slightly easier way to show the sites on PlugShare: Select the Tesla plug. Then set the Minimum Power slider to 50 kW.

All of the sudden the Minimum Power slider is only documented to work "Currently for CCS, CHAdeMO, Supercharger only". The slider disappears when none of those three are selected. But you can set both "Supercharger" and "Tesla" plugs, set the slider to 50 kW, and the relevant EVgos will show up in green.

Guess I didn't initially notice this nuance.

Just submitted the following two suggestions to PlugShare. They seem fairly minor, so it will be interesting to see if they get implemented:

1.) Currently the "Minimum Power" slider only appears with Supercharging, CCS, and/or CHAdeMO filters selected. I suggested also allowing it when the "Tesla" plug type is selected.

2.) As these are 50 kW DC Fast Charging stations, not AC Level 2 stations, the pins for them should be in orange - rather than green.

All of the sudden the Minimum Power slider is only documented to work "Currently for CCS, CHAdeMO, Supercharger only". The slider disappears when none of those three are selected. But you can set both "Supercharger" and "Tesla" plugs, set the slider to 50 kW, and the relevant EVgos will show up in green.

Guess I didn't initially notice this nuance.
This did not work for the EVgo with Tesla adapter that I ran across. It doesn't show up. I guess EVgo isn't advertising too well.

Code:
https://www.facebook.com/evgonetwork/posts/4230909943612580
says
We're on a roll! Our 400th Tesla connector was installed at an EVgo fast charging station this week, making it easier than ever to fast charge your Tesla! With hundreds in the works, a Tesla connector could be coming soon to a station near you! evgo.com/tesla