Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New model 3 had to be towed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got delivery 3 days ago and once I hit interstate, screen went into reboot loop. I was able to drive car fine, however, turn signals didn't work anymore. I called Tesla and they towed car back to dealer.

No updates for 3 days and today they say that they are replacing computer on the car and it will be delivered in 2 days. Is this normal? Should I be worried? Should I return the car since it wasn't even 1 hour that I had it ?

Why would you return the car for an issue that is easily fixed? The hassle of waiting for the refund, financing, etc, etc is not worth it.

Replacing the Car Computer is an easy repair and once the issue is resolved there's nothing to worry about. Things happen.

By the way, the turn signals still work you just won't get visual/audio confirmation on the Touchscreen.

Why would you return the car for an issue that is easily fixed? The hassle of waiting for the refund, financing, etc, etc is not worth it.

Replacing the Car Computer is an easy repair and once the issue is resolved there's nothing to worry about. Things happen.

By the way, the turn signals still work you just won't get visual/audio confirmation on the Touchscreen.

I lost count of how many threads I’ve read that Tesla replaced X and N days later the original problem occurred again. What if it happens again and they say the car needs a new wiring harness?

He’s rightfully concerned. And they have his car for 5 of his 7 day return window.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
I lost count of how many threads I’ve read that Tesla replaced X and N days later the original problem occurred again. What if it happens again and they say the car needs a new wiring harness?

He’s rightfully concerned. And they have his car for 5 of his 7 day return window.

To each their own, Lemon Law covers you if there is a legitimate, ongoing issue. A one-time problem doesn't necessitate worry in my personal opinion.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gpa9504
To each their own, Lemon Law covers you if there is a legitimate, ongoing issue. A one-time problem doesn't necessitate worry in my personal opinion.

It does necessitate worry if his car needs to be towed in the first hour and he loses 5 out of 7 days of his return window that he can be ringing out the car. And you act like swapping the computer is a guaranteed fix. And nothing else will go wrong while in the shop. That never happens, right?

And lemon law is so much easier than doing a Tesla return?

I’m not saying he should return it. And agree folks shouldn’t take that lightly. But you questioned why he even was considering it. He should be, and only he can decide.

I’d certainly ask for something in return for his headaches.

Last edited:
I got delivery 3 days ago and once I hit interstate, screen went into reboot loop. I was able to drive car fine, however, turn signals didn't work anymore. I called Tesla and they towed car back to dealer.

No updates for 3 days and today they say that they are replacing computer on the car and it will be delivered in 2 days. Is this normal? Should I be worried? Should I return the car since it wasn't even 1 hour that I had it ?

It looks to only be the display computer. While not as catastrophic as yours, they do indeed sometimes like to reboot. When they reboot, you really only lose the screen and audio, most everything else on the car seems to operate, including the autopilot.

Don't worry about it, just enjoy it when you get it. Hopefully you can get to play this weekend!!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I would request in writing that they extend the 7 day return window to begin after they return a working car for you to test out. If they refuse to do that you will have to decide whether returning it is worth the hassle. I’m in the 7 day period now for my car and so far everything is great, but I definitely want 7 days to thoroughly test out the car and make sure there are no major issues. I would not want to give that up while Tesla sits on the car in their service center.

Elon made a big deal about the benefits of the 7 day return policy. Don’t give up your rights to it because they can’t get the car returned to service in a timely manner.

Reactions: JSergeant
Thank you so much for responses. 7 day return window is only eligible if you don't take test drive, right? I already took test drive before I bought it so it doesn't apply to me I guess.

There is still 24 hour return window still applicable since I had car for few hours only. I love the car and don't want the hassle of reordering. If replacement fixes it, that would be best for me.

I had the same issue on mine. MCU replacement seems to have fixed the reboot issue, and it has been great since. Are you having the work done in Bellevue or Seattle? The Bellevue team gave me daily updates (late afternoon) by email/text when I had the same issue.
Consider yourself lucky you got a tow. I had limited support leading up to the appointment, and had to drive it in myself (I learned to embrace the screen reboots/driving without a speedometer).