Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Wall Connector V3 - won't connect to any wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks - I just got my Wall Connector installed today - V3, brand new. I can't get it connected to wifi - it keeps rebooting.

I read that it doesn't support mesh networks (and in my chat with support, this is the first thing they said) - I tried enabling a separate 2.4ghz SSID on my router, same behavior. It has an IOT SSID at 2.4ghz - enabled that - same behavior. I tried connecting to wall connector to my iphone hotspot - same behavior. I just went out and bought a TP-LINK 2.5ghz ONLY AP and connected it to that - same behavior.

I want this to work since I will be getting a second and doing load sharing - I am getting ready to go into another chat with Tesla - sure seems to me that I got a defective unit.

Matt

The existing router I have is an Amplifi Alien router/wifi.
I have an Amplifi Alien router and two mesh points (one wired, one wireless) with a Wall Connector Gen 3.

Not sure what to tell you that will help other than mine is working fine on my wifi.

I don't think I have any particular settings configured on the router: I use a single SSID for 2.4+5GHz, I have the security set to WPA2 (only), I have band steering turned on and router steering turned off (I think those are both the defaults). The router and mesh points are running firmware 3.7.1 and the Wall Connector is running 22.41.2 (I use an iPhone app called Wall Monitor to keep an eye on it, but if you connect directly to the Wall Connector's hotspot and look on its captive web page it should tell you too).

So if you can get your Amplifi gear and the Wall Connector up to those firmware versions (and use those same - fairly basic - settings I have) then it *should* work. Maybe the Wall Connector is still running some ancient/broken factory firmware and once it is updated to up-to-date firmware it might all come good?

Perhaps NOT having WPA3 enabled as a security option could be the magic ingredient? I just run that way because I have all sorts of things that likely won't ever be updated to support WPA3 - plus I am nowhere near interesting enough for someone to want to hack into my wifi network anyway...

BTW I don't really believe in "doesn't work with mesh networks" as an excuse - I mean from the standpoint of a client they are pretty simple and I have something over 60 devices here (including some pretty old Sonos speakers and other long-orphaned IoT things) and they all work fine.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I think I made some progress today - I talked to someone in chat support this morning and they "reset the wall connector" on their end - so I am thinking maybe wiped the account on their side. When I got home, I factory reset the unit (/service) and was able to commission it and join the "iot" SSID that I enabled on the Alien. I don't have the option of WPA3 (and am on 3.7.1) - so I just verified its still at WPA2.

I hooked up that app "wall monitor" and so far, things seem to be working fine. It's still pulsing green - which means it's still broadcasting its AP - as long as when it goes off, everything is still working, I will be happy. I think there was something wrong on the Tesla side - the behavior tonight is very different from last night (continual rebooting).

Thanks! The Wall Connector app looks great!

Matt