Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bricked in Fairbanks Alaska or just software troubles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Saturday (25 Feb 23) I plugged in at about 25% charge. The car failed to charge.
Months ago I got a notice that "Power train requires service".
I opened a ticker with Tesla service in Anchorage (365 miles south).
The notice disappeared, so I was not too concerned.
Now the notice is back with additional alarms focusing on software issues.
(Sorry, unable to post images. I hope these links work)

Anchorage service has offered to split the cost of transporting the car, but I have no idea how long it will take them to even have a look.

A few of the things I have attempted:
Turn on heater to warm the charge port.
Computer reboot.

It is concerning that software updates preceded software error alerts.
When asked for remote diagnostics I got "rodents chewed your wires".
This is doubtful, but who knows?

Please don't argue that the car is not "bricked" when for me it is.

The notifications you posted state that the car was heating the battery on 27 Feb. Was it plugged in the entire time from 25 Feb till then? That message indicates that the battery was extremely cold. Given that you are in Fairbanks, just how cold was it?

What type of charger were you using? I.e., how many amps is your charger capable of? If you were charging off a 110V outlet, maybe there's not enough available power to heat the battery sufficiently. At least not in a timely manner?

If you were using a supercharger, how long did you wait before giving up? It can take quite a while for a very cold battery to warm up enough to start charging. See the outofspecreviews youtube channel for some tests conducted in below zero temps.

I saw an error regarding communication between the car and charger. Maybe that has something to do with the charging issue.

It wouldn't seem that the powertrain notices would be directly responsible for a charging problem.

Something that you might try is to use the service menu to reinstall the software on your car. That might clear up the incompatible software error, though, how your car got in this state is worrisome. But, worst case is that your car will have to go to a service center, which is your current situation anyway!

The notifications you posted state that the car was heating the battery on 27 Feb. Was it plugged in the entire time from 25 Feb till then? That message indicates that the battery was extremely cold. Given that you are in Fairbanks, just how cold was it?

What type of charger were you using? I.e., how many amps is your charger capable of? If you were charging off a 110V outlet, maybe there's not enough available power to heat the battery sufficiently. At least not in a timely manner?

If you were using a supercharger, how long did you wait before giving up? It can take quite a while for a very cold battery to warm up enough to start charging. See the outofspecreviews youtube channel for some tests conducted in below zero temps.

I saw an error regarding communication between the car and charger. Maybe that has something to do with the charging issue.

It wouldn't seem that the powertrain notices would be directly responsible for a charging problem.

Something that you might try is to use the service menu to reinstall the software on your car. That might clear up the incompatible software error, though, how your car got in this state is worrisome. But, worst case is that your car will have to go to a service center, which is your current situation anyway!
The temps have been a bit below 0F. I was able to get the car to draw 7 kw in preheating mode when I attempted to heat the charge port. Charging is 240 V and draws 8 kw when charging properly.

Reinstalling the software sounds like a "thing to do", but I too am confused by how I got to this scrambled software condition.

Thanks for your kind consideration of my story.

Shocking update!
Temps warmed yesterday to above freezing.
I decided to just try again to get the charge going.
When first plugged in, it registered 0 power draw, but I decided to let it stay in this "charge" state thinking I was willing to support a night of phantom charges just to see what happens.
This morning, my car had charged to 90%.
I am still in line for having the car hauled 365 miles to Anchorage when they have a place for it.
When I get the call for pickup I can now consider driving it myself.
I still have an outstanding rubber squeak in drivers side steering so there is still a thing for them to do in Anchorage, and I have friends to visit in Anchorage, so who knows?

Reactions: dhrivnak
Temps went up to 40 F for a day. Ice fell off the car undercharged and I decided to try the charger. No joy.
But when I checked the app in the morning, it was fully charged.
Morning two and it charged again.
I am still in line waiting for a tow to Anchorage for service.
All the software and drivetrain warnings are still present, and the original squeaky rubber joint in the steering is still annoying.
Good to have my M3 back in action.

Is there a chance that these problems stem from the dreaded 12 volt battery issue? It is three years old and I have heard stories.
I doubt it. I think you simply have a very cold battery. A Tesla will not charge if the battery is too cold. If you had a 12V battery problem, your car would likely be dead.

In winter, you should keep the car plugged in (garaged is best for your location) so the car can keep the battery warm. Combined with a preconditioning schedule, you'll likely get better winter range because you won't start driving with a very cold battery.

Reactions: gcsmoore1
New symptom: FSD is broken.
No turning to destinations or stopping at intersections.
I held off as long as I could approaching an intersection and hit the breaks full on.
Skated all the way to the intersection. It was going to blow the stop.

How might this be related to the laundry list of troubles?

I got a date!
3 May.
I was instructed by remote service in Anchorage to use the app to schedule transport.
I naively thought they were hinting my turn was close.
The app scheduled us for delivery to BC, sone 2000 miles away.
This caused roadside central to dig into the problem.
They extracted 3 May from Anchorage, and advise to contact them a day before to arrange a pickup in Fairbanks.
I don't think they comprehend that Anchorage is 365 miles from Fairbanks.
I'm thinking of making the drive myself, but charging options on route are of uncertain reliability, and my energy use is suspect.
Will gather some range data to see if I can trust the cars projections.

Today, three weeks and one day from it's departure from Fairbanks to Anchorage, I have my car back.
The App info indicates that the problems reported were fixed via software. No other report from Tesla service.
The only charges were for a requested tire rotation and a small fee to calibrate the front camera after a windshield replacement.
Happy to have my favorite car ever back in action.

Closing comments on this issue. (six month update)
I now have FSD back and being without it for about three updates makes the improvements that much more impressive.
Tesla Anchorage sent a tech to Fairbanks (365 miles) to service ten clients.
He pulled into my driveway and quickly fixed my camera alignment.
So glad they didn't want me to ship the car to them for a slight screw twist.

• Informative
Reactions: karkrazy and byeLT4