Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broke charger cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hadn’t drove my car in 2 weeks and when I got back to my car there was mould all in the boot so I spoke to Tesla. They replaced the boot seal free of charge but unfortunately my charging cable was in the back and now it doesn’t seem to work. I’m not sure wether it’s got damp or wet inside and has stopped working or the 3 charging stations I’ve been to havnt been working which is unlikely? If the cable is broke due to this leak should Tesla replace this for me? What’s your thoughts?

I suspect they'll not be overly keen on paying for consequential damages.

If you end up paying for it, note that the Type 2 cable in the Tesla store is very, very good value for money compared to screwfix, etc. Do watch out for 16a limits or single phase, you want 3 phase, 32a to make best use of common chargers

Reactions: Adopado
Depends who you get.

Worth shouting Warranty replacement!! (I did on my situation below)

I had a different situation. The cable end that plugs into the charger unit got burnt out by something faulty. Either the charge cable end was faulty or charge unit socket was faulty. Either way Tesla at Birmingham kindly replaced it for me.

This was around the back of 2019. even when the blue cable was in short supply.

also a replacement at £85 direct from Tesla - Type 2 Adapter - 32A (These use to be £299 back in 2019!!)

Having a spare cable is a good idea anyway. I have two in my frunk, the original Tesla one and then a significantly longer one I use when I have to park further from the charger or nose first. The advice on getting 32A 3 phase is excellent as that will allow you to take advantage of all types of charging places.

If you’re on about the blue cable (forgive the lack of technical term) it’s just a dumb cable that plugs into the car and chargers in the rain. Surely a bit of damp wouldn’t harm it?

While not plugged in I’d check there are no obvious mould growths inside the heads and no remaining moisture.

Reactions: Adopado