Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser Need to Reboot V9 after use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Honestly the browser seems more trouble that it's worth - it's not only incredible uncomfortable to 'browse' on it, video and audio streaming don't really work, it's slow and I can't think of a time I'd rather use that than use my phone or an iPad.

I haven't found the browser to be very impressive. I get that they don't allow videos to play for safety reasons while driving, but I've found things I just can't do and web sites that won't work. I think checking my web mail is one of the things that doesn't work. When I'm sitting at a charger waiting for the electrons to fill my battery, there should be a way to do something useful with my time. Using a phone for browsing the web sucks in my opinion. I seem to recall I can use the car as a hot spot. So can I power up my laptop and check email that way? That could be *very* useful to me and make pulling off the highway for a 10-20 minute charge productive.

There is no accessible hot spot from the car. Not even a pay ware option. Although easy enough to add your own.

The browser in version 9 is getting better. It now works with the RoundCube web based email client. Earlier versions did not. But since all traffic from the car is tunneled back through the mothership, performance is not great. But it does work. Replying to email using the on screen keyboard is a real PIA. Using your phone or tablet is vastly better IMO.

There is no accessible hot spot from the car. Not even a pay ware option. Although easy enough to add your own.

I could have sworn I saw that before the version 9 upgrade, but maybe I'm thinking of my phone. Trouble with that is the phone is on a crappy network for the road. Too bad I can't use my phone over the ATT network the car is on. Hmmm.... if my cell is not working, can I contact Tesla service through the car?

The browser in version 9 is getting better. It now works with the RoundCube web based email client. Earlier versions did not. But since all traffic from the car is tunneled back through the mothership, performance is not great. But it does work. Replying to email using the on screen keyboard is a real PIA. Using your phone or tablet is vastly better IMO.

I thought I tried RoundCube and had trouble with that too, but again... maybe I'm thinking of my phone. I got a smart phone shortly before the car and so have similar learning issues. Before this phone I used a dumb flip phone... in fact, I still use it on the road as it is on ATT and my smart phone is Google Fi which doesn't have great coverage. The dumb phone won't connect to the car, so the smart phone is better when it works.

I wish the car browser had tabs, but I guess favorites will do the job to some extent. This car has a long learning curve and updates keep making it longer.

I stopped to check out a charger and thought I'd do a little web browsing while I waited. Couldn't even get it to work. It seemed to show an ok cell signal. Couldn't get a wifi connection from anything close by, so I waited a bit and pulled the plug. Frederick really needs some decent charging options for Teslas on trips.

My browser has completely stopped working. Cant get it to show anything even after a reboot. The Tesla user interface has honestly gotten worse year after year. Maybe maps are a little bit better, but various other things are horrible.

I'm pretty happy with the recent upgrade. I think that made the structure of the menus better, less complexity and easier to find stuff while driving. I can't say much about the browser. It seems fairly dysfunctional, but it wasn't very functional before the v9 upgrade. I think it was plugshare I was trying to use tonight while I charged at a Sheetz and it has a notice with a dismiss button just off the bottom of the browser. I couldn't dismiss the durn thing! I think I already mentioned some web mail apps don't seem to work on their browser. No small number of web sites don't work well on my phone either sooo...

I find I have about a 50/50 chance of a web page loading in V9 at the moment and when it does work it's barely functional as it always was. It's really not a great feature of the car and certainly no substitute for an iPad! No idea why web browsing needs to be so poor? It's a shame really as you have this lovely big screen to browse on while charging and yet you invariably end up using your tiny phone screen instead!

Reactions: gnuarm
I find I have about a 50/50 chance of a web page loading in V9 at the moment and when it does work it's barely functional as it always was. It's really not a great feature of the car and certainly no substitute for an iPad! No idea why web browsing needs to be so poor? It's a shame really as you have this lovely big screen to browse on while charging and yet you invariably end up using your tiny phone screen instead!

I agree 100%. The main thing I want to use the browser for is finding restaurants while I'm charging. It isn't very useful for that at all.