Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buena Park Model 3 meetup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
Yesterday @dturkes hosted a model 3 meetup at the Buena Park Store/SvC/Suc. D*** Turkes brought his beautiful Black model 3 that he brought home about two weeks ago. About 15 people showed up, both reservationists and MS owners of all different age groups. We spent about hour there, as did most people, until D offered to take people for rides but we had to leave for a lunch appointment. D is really a nice guy and answered everyone's questions with patience. It was really a lot of fun hanging out with people who have similar enthusiasm for the model 3.

I am not going to repeat the reports published so far and I find most of them true. But I would like to amplify some reports with the help of my SIL, a car guy, who also attended.
  • Black interior: DW says it is not black, it is dark grey vegan, about the same color and material in her Prius. She often uses her Prius in 115+F temperatures during the summer and her Prius is not uncomfortable. She said she is fine with the 3 dark grey interior color. Feel free to argue the point with her, but I'm not!
  • View out back window: Yes, the view out the back is a bit restricted. SIL and I tested the view of headlights at night by a simple walking up to the back of the car. Headlights will disappear from most cars when within about 6 feet from the back bumper. If that creates a problem (it won't for me) then just simply turn on the rear camera.
  • Rear camera: Yes, the camera has a bit of fisheye and is relatively high contrast. But I didn't see any of the issues that I saw in pictures posted on this Forum. I will say it was a bright, sunny day with temperatures in the low 70's yesterday, so I can't account for the discrepancies. I found the rear camera perfectly acceptable as is (I have not seen the backup camera in an MS to compare).
  • Sound system/voice commands: My SIL is an audiophile and tested the sound system (I am deaf in one ear). He said IMPRESSIVE! He was sitting in the driver's seat with the window open. He asked D, who was standing outside, do you have Eruption by Van Halen in your system? D, standing outside car, said 'PLAY ERUPTION BY VAN HALEN." The 'song' came on immediately! SIL turned the sound up to 11. :eek: I now think I am deaf in BOTH ears! The SIL had a Tesla grin from ear to ear and gave it two thumbs up!
  • Rear seats: The rear seat is upright like most cars in this size group. There is plenty of seat to floor height. I would have preferred a bit of a bigger bolster under the thighs but it is not a big deal. Most people would describe me as a having a "sturdy" anatomy. I am about 6 feet tall and have a trunk and frunk about equal to a 3, about 15 cuft. total. This is all anchored on a foundation of size 12 extra wides. Getting in and out the rear door takes some effort in the back seat (very easy in the front). Getting the trunk and frunk in was not the problem, getting the size 12's in took some planning. Once in, the front passenger seat was put into the most rearward position and reclined halfway back. My knees were about an inch from the seat back, about equal to airline coach class. If the front seat was put about halfway back and semi-upright, there was plenty of room. Getting out required another origami move on my part to get the feet out. In fairness, I then tried the same maneuver in the back seat of SIL's Mazda 3. I then appreciated how easy it was to get in and out of the 3!
  • Frunk/door closure: I tried closing all the doors and the frunk and they close with ease unlike some have reported. No, the doors will not latch themselves if you let loose of them two feet from the latch. Yes, it does require a gentle nudge from about 6" away to close them firmly.
  • Aero wheel covers: SIL asked D to see the rims under the aero covers. SIL HATES the wheel covers. SIL thought the standard rims look great and liked the soft grey color. He said he would forego the $1500 upgrade and go for naked 18" rims.
  • PUP interior: SIL thought the $5000 upgrade for PUP was a bargain with glass roof, upgrade sound, vegan seats, memory seats, and all the other stuff.
  • Interior space: the 3 is smaller than the MS in width but it has more interior passenger volume than the MS. The reason is all the extra headroom as a result of the glass roof. The glass roof has to be experienced to be believed. In my opinion, the 3 has as much or more interior volume of any car in its class size. It is a perfect size for my needs.
  • U.I.: I know what a 15 inch laptop screen looks like. But you put that screen in a 3 and it looks YUUUUUUGE. I had no problem with seeing or reaching any part of the screen. I remember one early video by a non-professional driver, who kept stabbing at the buttons on the screen to activate them. I had no trouble navigating through the menus with ONE light touch. After about 2 minutes playing with the U.I., I felt very comfortable finding everything. It is very intuitive. In my opinion, I think that after about a week, most people will be able to navigate through the menu with out really looking, just by muscle memory - and this comes from a guy who had trouble mastering a simple smartphone. The digital speed indicator has the largest numbers I have ever had in any of my cars. If you can see your right hand on the steering wheel, you can easily see your speed. I do think that the screen would have looked much more finished if it were enclosed in a shroud connected to the dash.
  • AC system: Works great! If you put the fan on high, it feels like a hurricane in the interior! I didn't see a control on the U.I. for the rear seat vents.
  • Cup holders: They work great and located conveniently. I didn't see any way to accommodate larger cups and half liter bottles, which we purchase at times.
  • Pearl White: We happened to park our Pearl White Prius next to a Pearl White MS. The Tesla Pearl White is a bright, clean white color compared to the Prius white which has a yellowish tone. I much prefer the Tesla Pearl White
Fun activity, makes waiting for our 3 that much more difficult ! :mad:

Last edited:
A picture is worth a thousand words. Compare the black color of the seatbelt with the seat color. Enjoy seeing Model 3 in person and fall in love with the interior. (This photo is from the OC meetup on 12/31 in Costa Mesa.)

IMG_3288.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. Good thing I haven't got my invite yet because I'm still waivering between color, trim, wheels...and it changes weekly! I definitely will be ordering the PUP with the car though and glad the audio comes highly rated. Super nice people that people are willing to bring their new cars out for people to see. Hoping to see someone offer up in our area. We have our names in for a test drive with two of our local Tesla's but don't think that will happen any time soon and maybe not before we get our invite.

As for the seat belts, console plastic and interior plastic pieces and polyurethane seat material they all absorb and reflect light differently so will appear maybe a different shade or color from each other. You can take the exact same color ink and print it on different sheets of white paper that vary in brilliance and weight and fiber and you'd swear the ink wasn't the same color. We had a CEO try arguing with a printer that they misprinted some letterhead with the wrong color. They hadn't. Get that you don't want to argue the point with the wife (happy wife, happy husband :) ) but the interior is all black. You can even notice how the light on the steering wheel makes the black steering wheel look a different color. Tesla has offered gray interior in the past but this isn't it FWIW and betcha when they also offer a choice of interiors (with rumored white seats) you'll see they list the choice as black like they do on the Model S/X.

Last edited: