Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug in consumption graph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at the graph in this picture. After traveling about 100 miles the grey “predicted” consumption suddenly dropped to the same as actual. Is that normal?
SW 2020.20.12

Attachments

• 19B9D19F-38C5-4541-9AA0-A23C44A717DF.jpeg
    19B9D19F-38C5-4541-9AA0-A23C44A717DF.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 95
Look at the graph in this picture. After traveling about 100 miles the grey “predicted” consumption suddenly dropped to the same as actual. Is that normal?
SW 2020.20.12

Completely normal especially since the car doesn’t have much info to go off of just yet. It’s an estimate as well. It’s possible and I’m just throwing stuff at the wall but maybe you decided to speed up and that made the computer adjust it’s estimate.

That graph updates continually as you drive

Agree that my consumption updates continuously based on actual driving conditions but shouldn’t the predicted one stay constant?
I have no picture of it but seem to recall leaving Childress supercharger with an estimated 18 percent arrival at Henrietta. Lots of headwind and a little bit of speeding brought the actual down to 7. However still strange to me that the original estimate (grey line) drop after 100 miles. Maybe I’m missing something.

The grey line is the “this is what to expect” and the colored line is what you’re currently doing. Does that make sense?

In the picture you’re driving “worse” than the expected usage *grey line* and then at the dip that’s when they got to the expected usage

Last edited:
The grey line is the “this is what to expect” and the colored line is what you’re currently doing. Does that make sense?

In the picture you’re driving “worse” than the expected usage *grey line* and then at the dip that’s when they got to the expected usage
You've got it backwards. The grey line is what the car is actually getting at the point on the trip. The colored line is the estimated consumption under ideal conditions (no rain or headwinds, no heavy acceleration, etc.).

The poster's graph shows he's doing better than predicted up to that point of his trip.

You've got it backwards. The grey line is what the car is actually getting at the point on the trip. The colored line is the estimated consumption under ideal conditions (no rain or headwinds, no heavy acceleration, etc.).

The poster's graph shows he's doing better than predicted up to that point of his trip.

Nope, the grey line is the predicted and colors are what you're currently doing which can go up or down.

"Trip: monitor the amount of energy being used while navigating to a destination. You can track actual usage against the initial prediction. The green line represents the actual usage whereas the gray line represents predicted usage. To change the zoom level, touch the zoom icon located in the top right corner of the chart."

Page 80: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

The OP was doing worse than expected and then the grey line, predicted usage dropped (I've never seen such a huge drop before) which the car finally matched at that point.

Reactions: UltradoomY