Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't understand the energy consumption screen; doesn't agree with trip cards or actual kWh consumed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I cannot reconcile the numbers provided on the energy consumption graph with the numbers on the trip cards. For instance, in the attached screenshot (taken by a passenger, don't worry :)), you can see that:
  1. The Energy Consumption graph says over the last 30 miles, I've averaged 428 Wh/mi.
  2. The Current Drive trip card (lower left) says that I've drive 30 miles and use 7 kWh, or 229 Wh/mi.
That is a difference of almost 200 Wh/mi. That is not just a small difference--what is going on? I'm either not understanding what these numbers actually mean (shouldn't they be the same?), or one of them must be off.

I checked the actual battery consumption at the end of the trip by calculating the change in percentage charge: it had gone down by 20%, and I've got 68 kWh usable capacity on by battery pack, so that should work out to about 14 kWh consumed. That matched up with the "Current Drive" trip card, which made me lean towards the trip cards being accurate and the energy graph being inaccurate... although again I'm questioning if I'm misunderstanding something about the energy consumption graph?

Attachments

• energy graph.jpg
    energy graph.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 242
I'm running FSD Beta 11.4.4
I have the same software and also have the same problem (but in Wh/km in Canada).

Previously, the consumption graph tended to give lower values than the trip data. I always assumed this was because the consumption was only power to the motors, whereas the trip data also includes climate, other electronics and overall consumption while parked when not charging.

I agree with others that this is likely a bug. Maybe it's an error created by trying to better match the consumption graph with the trip values.

How do I access the Average Energy Graphs, Energy Consumption info etc. When I access the Charging section on the main screen, I see the following but no options for any other information. Thx

Attachments

• IMG_9514.jpeg
    IMG_9514.jpeg
    491.8 KB · Views: 35