Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug in self closing passenger side door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
So I think there's some sort of a defect or otherwise just on the passenger side.

If you close the passenger front door until you meet some resistance but before the full closing engages (so there's just a crack left) and then walk away from your car or do the triple click of the fob to trigger the closing - the door tries once, does not have enough momentum and aborts (as opposed to the door widely open where it builds up enough momentum by the time it approaches the frame) - the door stays open in this state.
If you try the same on the driver door - you can see it retries a few times before finally closing.

I tried the same on a loaner I got today and it has the same problem though it did close successfully once, and then could not for a few times, so does not seem to be isolated just to my car.

I discovered this by telling my mother in law not to slam the door closed too much as it would close itself, so she gave it a gentle push yesterday and then we returned from a store to an opened door (a person in the parking lot informed me that my car door is open so I investigated).

So I wonder how widespread is that thing and also to warn people of this unexpected issue.