Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug in Tesla Chess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I enjoy the chess game in my Tesla, but it's not entirely free from bugs.

The car had me in check mate in this position in move 37. Still it let me move the king to A1 in move 38 (as you can see from the log), so that I could go on to win the game.

tesla-chess-bug.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: ilyak
You are confusing the pieces. Located at 2B is a black rook, not the black queen. As a rook can move in straight lines, it’s blocking the king from using lines 2 and B, but not anything else. In addition, the knight prevents the king from moving to C1 or from attacking the rook. However, A1 remains available, so no checkmate.

You can see an example of what the Tesla version of the queen looks like here. It’s just like the king, but with a circle at the top - pretty typical iconography for chess.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: whitex
Unless the rules of chess has changed, I discovered another bug. I was able to castle (King moves more than one space to the side while the Rook traverses the King), after getting "Checked" by the opponent. The game won't let you castle while under check, but I thought the rule was that one could not castle during AND after being checked. No big deal to me, it makes the game a little easier but just thought I'd see what others say.

Sorry guys. That's right, I see now that I was confusing the pieces. I picked up this game again after several days, and somehow I got the idea that the piece at 2B was a black queen. I see now that it wasn't.

The bug that maximizese discovered seems like a real bug, though.

Unless the rules of chess has changed, I discovered another bug. I was able to castle (King moves more than one space to the side while the Rook traverses the King), after getting "Checked" by the opponent. The game won't let you castle while under check, but I thought the rule was that one could not castle during AND after being checked. No big deal to me, it makes the game a little easier but just thought I'd see what others say.

Not a bug, legal move. Under conventional rules (see Schiller), you can castle if the king was previously in check, as long as the king is not currently in check, will not end up in check, and will not pass a position that will put the king in check, and neither the king nor the rook used to castle moved previously. The idea that you cannot castle just because the king was previously in check is a common misconception.

Last edited: