Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bulletproof unbreakable windows - how to get out in emergency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with all the excitement over the "security" issues what happens if you're in an accident?

1) car rolls over hill and lands in stream with only side window accessible
2) smoke in car - how do u get driver/passengers out
3) car crushed - will "jaws of life" be able to get through the car

Inquiring minds want to know

So with all the excitement over the "security" issues what happens if you're in an accident?

Press the big red "jettison doors and windows" button.

Of course it is keyed to your retina pattern, so if you break the camera lens, too bad! :eek:

Attachments

• bigredbutton.jpg
    bigredbutton.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

Big picture, yes the glass is harder to break in an emergency and may be an issue on occasion.

They appear to simply be laminated glass like a car windshield with perhaps a slightly different glass composition. About 1/3 of all cars delivered in the US in 2018 had laminated glass side windows. This is being done at the urging of the Feds in order to reduce the number of people ejected from vehicles in crashes. The stream example you noted is a perfect one because back when the Feds were trying to mandate seatbelt use the argument against them that they may be difficult to get out of if the car crashed into a stream or caught on fire.

One bid daily advantage of laminated glass is that is is much quieter than tempered glass.

Some Car Windows Are Harder to Break in an Emergency, Says AAA

This already causes problems with the self presenting door handles on the model S. I read about someone arriving at an accident where the car was on fire and couldn't rescue the people inside because they couldn't open the doors in time.

Even if Tesla has something on the inside of the car, no average person is going to be able to assist if someone is knocked out. These days I'd say the odds of road rage might be greater anyway. I'd still want all of the reinforcements. How do they do it in normal armored vehicles?

1. Sharp object like a carbide tip, glass hammer, or spark plug will work fine
2. Door handles
3. Yes. All day. Location of high voltage is a larger concern cutting into EVs. The jaws will go through that thing like a ginsu through a coke can.

1. Sharp object like a carbide tip, glass hammer, or spark plug will work fine
2. Door handles
3. Yes. All day. Location of high voltage is a larger concern cutting into EVs. The jaws will go through that thing like a ginsu through a coke can.
If the windows won't break with metal ball thrown at it wonder how easy they'd be to break with a "sharp object"
Door handles usually remain locked (if occupant is unconscious, etc.) as pointed out above there are already problems with emergency access in at least one case b/c inability to open door (and I guess breaking the window of the S wasn't an option?)
Interesting to see how the balance btwn safety and emergency access will play out

If the windows won't break with metal ball thrown at it wonder how easy they'd be to break with a "sharp object"
Door handles usually remain locked (if occupant is unconscious, etc.) as pointed out above there are already problems with emergency access in at least one case b/c inability to open door (and I guess breaking the window of the S wasn't an option?)
Interesting to see how the balance btwn safety and emergency access will play out
A ball is not sharp and with the ball they kept dropping it was on some kind of dampening/shock absorbing system. Also dropping it down the tube slowed down it’s decent. I’m guessing a straight free fall would have done it in.

This already causes problems with the self presenting door handles on the model S. I read about someone arriving at an accident where the car was on fire and couldn't rescue the people inside because they couldn't open the doors in time.

Even if Tesla has something on the inside of the car, no average person is going to be able to assist if someone is knocked out. These days I'd say the odds of road rage might be greater anyway. I'd still want all of the reinforcements. How do they do it in normal armored vehicles?

You know, a lot of hay was made about the auto-presenting handles in that case, but any modern car locks the doors when the car reaches a reasonable speed. In the case of some other car, the officer could have... pointlessly yanked on the locked door handle.

I'm thinking the back window will be made with a more conventional glass and will break as easily.

That would be a good alternate route in. I know emergency teams have easy ways to break auto glass as is, and I'm assuming Tesla has thought of this as well. Maybe they will give them steel spheres! ;) I'm actually really stoked about this vehicle so I am excited to see all of the news and changes in the next couple of years.